Jump to content

Clubs printing programmes in 2022


Recommended Posts

York City Knights tell me they're returning to a printed programme for 2022:

"We didn't do them in 2021 to minimise cash handling and contact in line with Covid-19 precautions, but we are happy to be bringing them back next season."

[perhaps a mod could pin this thread, in place of the 2021 version?]

 

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hoping rugby league will follow the football trend - and start ditching digital programmes in favour of reverting to print.

Manchester City, for example, have gone back to hard copy programmes this season.

Last week, tier six Maidstone United announced, after taking account of fan feedback, they are dumping digital and returning to print.

A number of 'cottage industry' firms, specialising in providing printed programmes for non-league football clubs, report they are having to turn away potential customers - because they're now so busy.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/12/2021 at 08:29, Hopping Mad said:

Hoping rugby league will follow the football trend - and start ditching digital programmes in favour of reverting to print.

Manchester City, for example, have gone back to hard copy programmes this season.

Last week, tier six Maidstone United announced, after taking account of fan feedback, they are dumping digital and returning to print.

A number of 'cottage industry' firms, specialising in providing printed programmes for non-league football clubs, report they are having to turn away potential customers - because they're now so busy.

Why not both?

TBH I fail to understand the logic behind ditching traditional progs in favour of a PDF.

I accept that for many (especially youngsters) buying a prog is a waste of time and money. The line up is on twitter, and all the gossip, info and stats are somewhere in cyberspace.

But if you go to the trouble of designing and writing an e-programme, then nowadys printing off copies is relatively cheap and much more flexible to do in terms of print runs.

If it were simply a question of "we can't be bothered to put togther a match programme" because it's too much time and effort for not enough financial reward, I'd understand it. But going to the effort of producing a digital prog, but then not offering print copies of that to those that want to pay 2 or 3 quid for it seems illogical.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Why not both?

TBH I fail to understand the logic behind ditching traditional progs in favour of a PDF.

I accept that for many (especially youngsters) buying a prog is a waste of time and money. The line up is on twitter, and all the gossip, info and stats are somewhere in cyberspace.

But if you go to the trouble of designing and writing an e-programme, then nowadys printing off copies is relatively cheap and much more flexible to do in terms of print runs.

If it were simply a question of "we can't be bothered to put togther a match programme" because it's too much time and effort for not enough financial reward, I'd understand it. But going to the effort of producing a digital prog, but then not offering print copies of that to those that want to pay 2 or 3 quid for it seems illogical.

As a result of the above, several other cottage industries have sprung up, offering (with permission, of course) to create printed versions of digital programmes. Clubs (football, generally) actually charging for a digital programme generally send out a high res PDF, so it's easy enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

As a result of the above, several other cottage industries have sprung up, offering (with permission, of course) to create printed versions of digital programmes. Clubs (football, generally) actually charging for a digital programme generally send out a high res PDF, so it's easy enough. 

Ok, but they're quite expensive as I understand, and the use of full colour photos rather than pages of text in digital progs as opposed to physical progs also bumps up the price for collectors who are inclined to go down that route.

It all seems very unnecessary when clubs should really be printing off copies anyway

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, neutralfan said:

Its just a cop out coming from the RFL and NCL.If i go to a game i want to know the teams , i want a programme  as a keepsake as i have hundreds of programmes as momentos and i want to read about that game in the RL EXPRESS or League weekly on Monday morning.

If, for example, Wakefield AFC, step 11 (in their sport) tenants at Post Office Road, can produce glossy programmes (£2) for their games, attended by a couple of hundred, how come step two Featherstone Rovers, on crowds at least ten times that size, cannot? Not particularly criticising FRRLFC, whose programmes used to be very good. Simply a striking example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was decided at their meetings that these Bodies that run our magnificent game would stop producing programmes on admission at the gate but the admission price would not be reduced? The NCL admission price includes that a programme is part of the deal to watch the game .Has that been conveniently scrapped as well? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leeds have confirmed details -

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2021/12/24/get-your-hands-on-blue-amber-this-boxing-day/

Quite unexpectedly they've also sent me a copy in the post which arrived today so I can report it has 32 pages, normal sort of stuff, Agar blurb, interviews with Briscoe and Fusitu'a, stuff on Sinfield etc. Well worth £2.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/12/2021 at 08:29, Hopping Mad said:

Hoping rugby league will follow the football trend - and start ditching digital programmes in favour of reverting to print.

Manchester City, for example, have gone back to hard copy programmes this season.

Last week, tier six Maidstone United announced, after taking account of fan feedback, they are dumping digital and returning to print.

A number of 'cottage industry' firms, specialising in providing printed programmes for non-league football clubs, report they are having to turn away potential customers - because they're now so busy.

Maybe there is a trend.

Last year, FC Isle of Man was launched and, whilst a programme was issued for the inaugural match against Guernsey FC, it was revealed that programmes would be digital for enviromental reasons. Unfortunately, the season never started because Covid-19 regulations effectively created a border between the IOM and the UK.

This season, life has commenced for FC Isle of Man in the North West Counties League Division One, with programmes issued for each fixture at a reasonable £1.50. With crowds ranging from 1166 to 2112 so far, I am sure the economics stack up well.

I didn't know ptogrammes were being issued until I saw a pubgoer browsing through a programme with an after-the-match pint. Very heartening, and one of the reasons a printed programme rules.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

York aren't bothering with a programme for tomorrow's pre-season friendly against Midlands Hurricanes.

First issue of the 2022 season - the club's first programme since 2020 - will be for the Featherstone Championship opener on January 31.

Edited by Hopping Mad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Twitter, Leigh Miners Rangers are issuing a programme (£3, included with admission) for Saturday's Challenge Cup tie against fellow NCL side Milford Marlins.

I can't find any other club flagging up, on Twitter, a programme for this weekend's first round games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems Orrell St James hope to have a printed programme for Saturday's Challenge Cup tie with British Army. I was told, via Twitter, the club's "IT team are working on it to make the print deadline".

Edited by Hopping Mad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/01/2022 at 17:18, jamescolin said:

Hope that is true. I miss them. Lets hope Fev reintroduce them. Programmes p;lease

York have confirmed there won't be a programme for their pre-season friendly against Castleford. But they add: A new matchday programme will be available for competitive matches throughout 2022, starting at our Betfred Championship opener against Featherstone Rovers on Monday 31st January.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the Bentley-Stanningley game today, I had a brief chat with a lad from Burton-on-Trent. He'd watched the Thornhill-RAF Challenge Cup tie the previous afternoon. Said Trojans had done a programme - a "very good one".

Bentley's was a glossy eight-pager for a quid.

Edited by Hopping Mad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Stephen Andrews said:

So can we confirm which pro teams are intending to do a printed programme this season? Barrow are issuing their usual programme, roughly 44 pages, priced £2.

Not that easy. For example, I emailed Sheffield Eagles recently. They couldn't even be bothered to reply. Not unusual, according to a couple of longstanding Eagles fans I chatted to before the recent Bentley-Stanningley Challenge Cup tie.

My stance is 'no programme, no custom'. Happy to stick with that again this season.

I'll get over to Barrow, for sure. And I'll be at next Monday's York-Fev game.

Edited by Hopping Mad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Oldham are issuing a digital programme for their Sunday cup tie with Lock Lane. It's £3. Presumably what they plan for the rest of the season. Meh.

https://roughyeds.co.uk/2022/01/digital-programme-out-soon/

That's goofy. They've gone to the time and effort to put it together, which is the hard part.

Then they want folk to buy a PDF file for 3 quid?

Small print runs are cheap nowadays. Run off 100 a match. They'll go

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...