The Socially Distant Sports Bar

dkw

Theres a good sports podcast called "The Socially Distant Sports Bar", its mainly welsh comedians and mates on it. The latest edition (episode 88) has a big bit about RL where they review the Leeds Rhinos documentary, but then go into things more and their admiration for everything about the players. Its a really good listen to hear from some "outsiders" and the way they talk about the players is very eye opening, especially from lads who admit they have no affinity to the sport really and were brought up with Union. Its from about 1 hour 30 minutes in, https://www.distantpod.com/listen

Thanks for sharing @dkw

I could recognise a lot of my own feelings about the game in their discussion, ie once you dig beneath the stereotypical surface (Northern, Grandstand etc.) you find an outstanding sport played by often outstanding people, and, in their words, see how RL ‘gets an awful lot right’ that other sports could learn from.  

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Theres a good sports podcast called "The Socially Distant Sports Bar", its mainly welsh comedians and mates on it. The latest edition (episode 88) has a big bit about RL where they review the Leeds Rhinos documentary, but then go into things more and their admiration for everything about the players. Its a really good listen to hear from some "outsiders" and the way they talk about the players is very eye opening, especially from lads who admit they have no affinity to the sport really and were brought up with Union. Its from about 1 hour 30 minutes in, https://www.distantpod.com/listen

It is indeed a good podcast, although I've found myself losing the habit of listening as some of the episodes are incredibly long. This could be enough to drag me back in though, so thanks for the heads-up!

They have mentioned RL a few times previously and Bubs in particular - a union man to his boots - loves to wax lyrical about RL.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Thanks for that.  

Nice to hear such a positive discussion.  The comment that one of the presenters ‘loved’ the fact that the game is regionalised down the 62 shouldn’t be lost on us, neither should the spirit the players and the fans have.  Without doubt, we have the greatest game.

On 15/12/2021 at 12:28, Bearman said:

Thanks for posting that. I rea.ly enjoyed it

Was really interesting to hear how people with no early interest in the sport (and in some cases brought up in opposition) see our game, players, fans etc. Sometimes were our own biggest critics within the sport.

On 15/12/2021 at 05:51, dkw said:

Great listen, thanks DKW.

I am probably qualified enough to support what they’re saying in the fact that I was born and raised in Cardiff, played union until 14 and then league onwards.

I met many, many RU people (all fantastic) and still call some close friends to this day. Add to that a sprinkling of South Wales RL people as well.

9/10 people in South Wales speak so highly of league, they watch the odd game on TV and everyone knows someone who ‘went north’. Our sport is so well-received back home. 

On 16/12/2021 at 12:32, dkw said:

Was really interesting to hear how people with no early interest in the sport (and in some cases brought up in opposition) see our game, players, fans etc. Sometimes were our own biggest critics within the sport.

Wouldn’t necessarily say they have no early interest. I think all three of them have their opinion influenced by the welsh players departing from union and playing league in that era. 

However at the very core of it some of their points are incredibly salient. One of the reasons we are certainly biggest critics of the sport; it’s quaintness is often what makes it unique and it doesn’t get celebrated enough 

Archived