NRL Attendance Figures 2022

6 hours ago, EggFace said:

I didn't now about the third tier always thought QRL was just a expansion of the old BRL ?

It was, sort off, and the records of the old BRL are now part of the QRL. A new BRL was started for local teams including those not included in QRL (west’s and valleys) Brothers are not part of it, sadly,though they still run a juniors programme which seems to be thriving. Wynnum Manly have a ‘reserve’ team in the BRL with their first XIII in the QRL. Valleys beat Wynnum to win the championship last season.

Scott Prince played for  Valleys in the BRL two seasons ago in his forties.

You can find details on the Play Rugby League website and clicking on competitions and the SE Queensland. It’s the same level as the Gold Coast league which includes Southport who Falou played for before moving to Japan RU.

There is a fantastic book available about the history of the BRL before it’s transformation to the QRL. Some great names in there.

Would recommend going to a game to anyone in SEQ. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

It was, sort off, and the records of the old BRL are now part of the QRL. A new BRL was started for local teams including those not included in QRL (west’s and valleys) Brothers are not part of it, sadly,though they still run a juniors programme which seems to be thriving. Wynnum Manly have a ‘reserve’ team in the BRL with their first XIII in the QRL. Valleys beat Wynnum to win the championship last season.

Scott Prince played for  Valleys in the BRL two seasons ago in his forties.

You can find details on the Play Rugby League website and clicking on competitions and the SE Queensland. It’s the same level as the Gold Coast league which includes Southport who Falou played for before moving to Japan RU.

There is a fantastic book available about the history of the BRL before it’s transformation to the QRL. Some great names in there.

Would recommend going to a game to anyone in SEQ. 

Does the BRL and the Gold Coast comp get any rowds or is it just like local club Rugby we have in the UK ?

Games I go to (Valleys and wests in Brisbane, Tugun, Currumbin runaway bay in GC are on par with league 2.

They charge $5 admission in GCL (reductions for concessions) but free at BRL so no way of counting.

There is a great DVD of the rebirth of valleys you can find on the Valleys website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Indeed, on that basis if warsaw ever get a team in superleague their game with wigan will be a derby!

Will dolphins vs Broncos be a more sensible derby ? 

Stupid that dolphins are not going with a first name , I think . 

On 24/03/2022 at 13:52, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Ok point taken regarding 🐉 v 🦈.  I was wrong.  

Regards to the storm v bunnies game , if you have a look at some of my previous posts , I did mention my disappointment in regards to the low crowd , considering it was a big game, first home game in ages , big game v big club , Craig's 500th , beautiful night weather wise , 13,269 was a shocker of a crowd , I AGREE.  NO EXCUSES ! 

Wasn't there an AFL game with 72,000 at the same time?

I've mentioned on another thread that there seems to be something going on in Australia when it comes to attending sport.

NRL crowds seem to be down slightly, but are actually holding up pretty well. However, I know AFL is seeing a similar problem from a much higher base. A Melbourne based club got 14,000 this weekend which is unheard of.

In comparison, other sports are fearing dreadfully. Union has just basically stopped announcing numbers, but most seem to be around 6-7,000. I once attended a normal regular season game that had 25,000 there.

Similarly, A-League has dropped massively. Melbourne Victory got just over 6,000 today. They used to get regular 20-30,000 crowds too. 

6 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Will dolphins vs Broncos be a more sensible derby ? 

Stupid that dolphins are not going with a first name , I think . 

Yes 42km from Bris Vegas to redcliffe, and 84kms to Robina (Titans home).

They are concerned Brissie folks won’t be interested in paying to watch a team named Redcliffe. The marketing folks run the game remember.

In terms of AFL $27 adults, $18 concession and $5 kids (under 4 free) have been frozen at the MCG and Marvel for four years. It is the sort of policy the NRL should look at to build crowds. It is far too expensive to attend NRL comparatively. 

As for the MCG, Melbourne was hit in the backside with a rainbow in 1956 when the Olympics were held. Huge, central, brilliantly connected transport systems, it is like a magnet for crowds in the city, whatever the event.

2015 at the MCG Origin II was certainly amazing with 91,513 in. 

Easily the best stadium in Australia. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

10 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

In terms of AFL $27 adults, $18 concession and $5 kids (under 4 free) have been frozen at the MCG and Marvel for four years. It is the sort of policy the NRL should look at to build crowds. It is far too expensive to attend NRL comparatively. 

As for the MCG, Melbourne was hit in the backside with a rainbow in 1956 when the Olympics were held. Huge, central, brilliantly connected transport systems, it is like a magnet for crowds in the city, whatever the event.

2015 at the MCG Origin II was certainly amazing with 91,513 in. 

Easily the best stadium in Australia. 

Agree with everything. 

NRL could make tickets a bit more affordable and free entry for under 10 years old , to spike participation rates ? 

17 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've mentioned on another thread that there seems to be something going on in Australia when it comes to attending sport.

NRL crowds seem to be down slightly, but are actually holding up pretty well. However, I know AFL is seeing a similar problem from a much higher base. A Melbourne based club got 14,000 this weekend which is unheard of.

In comparison, other sports are fearing dreadfully. Union has just basically stopped announcing numbers, but most seem to be around 6-7,000. I once attended a normal regular season game that had 25,000 there.

Similarly, A-League has dropped massively. Melbourne Victory got just over 6,000 today. They used to get regular 20-30,000 crowds too. 

The cost of living has def had a huge impact on sporting attendances . I believe that's the main factor in these numbers you have stated. 

NRL crowd numbers have held up well considering  . 

Whilst your right , all other sports have suffered. 

• Like 1

AFL after two rounds 33,819 Avg Crowd.  

NRL after three rounds15,046 AVG Crowd . 

Will track our main competitor throughout the season. 

The other sports are lightyears behind .

Edited by Deranged Drunk Guy
  • Like 1

On 27/03/2022 at 17:12, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Broncos v Cowboys had 37,761 people . 

Very good crowd , for the Derby . 

I attended this game around 2010 and it was a sellout. About 50k I reckon.

I think 37k, whilst likely to be the biggest regular season crowd for the season, I think it should have been better.

On 27/03/2022 at 23:50, Maximus Decimus said:

There sure is. Be it tennis and cricket in the summer, or most winter sports, there really does seem to be less enthusiasm to get out. Terrible weather has not helped RL crowds and reduced capacities will have an affect on strong AFL crowd figures in WA, so avg numbers in both sports are taking a hit.

The cost of living as raised by @Deranged Drunk Guy seems true. The initial boom in spending after 9 months of COVID, when drastic numbers of home owners took repayment holidays on the mortgages and other debts, those repayment pauses have come back to bite them, with banks asking for clients to catch up their arrears. It feels like people are bunkering down again.

On 29/03/2022 at 19:57, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Spare us the AFL. The interest is lacking. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

On 01/04/2022 at 01:03, RL Sonja said:

Spare us the AFL. The interest is lacking. 

I know.  

I agree in regard to AFL. 

It's a boring sport, AFL is . 

I'm just keeping track of things, in regards to how RL matches up against AFL in terms of crowd figures. 

I think we will bridge the gap this season against the AFL,in average crowd figures. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

I know.  

I agree in regard to AFL. 

It's a boring sport, AFL is . 

I'm just keeping track of things, in regards to how RL matches up against AFL in terms of crowd figures. 

I think we will bridge the gap this season against the AFL,in average crowd figures. 

Yep. No one is interested in the AFL. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 10:57, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

In 2000 AFL was 30000 

NRL 13000

On 02/04/2022 at 06:59, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

I keep reading articles by f-ball apologists about the alarming drop in crowd numbers for some games this season. I think I saw yesterdays 4 000 at the giants ( that`s the Sydney team that has the hair pulling "firebrand" Twoby Greene - please don`t make me laugh- in it) as being their lowest crowd ever. Apparently the game in Adelaide was the lowest for a derby in decades as well plus several other disappointing numbers for previously big pulling fixtures.

I`m not getting too excited about this as much as I would like to as it is early days and we have been through an extraordinary couple of years where nothing is normal. However I would love to think that those poor deranged bastards have finally realised what twaddle they are watching. One other thing, I do love the way afl fans and apologists immediately go into `slit their wrists mode` when things aren`t all rosy. To me it`s a bit like they have this sense of we knew it was going to eventually happen and now it has finally started. Love it.

Edited by The Rocket