I missed it by a day but still thought I'd post because yesterday was the anniversary of one of the biggest military blunders in British history, something that very few people in Britain are made aware of. 

In 1807, the Royal Navy bombarded Copenhagen in what, even to this day the Danes consider an act of terrorism. The objective was to capture the Danish fleet, which being one of the largest in Europe, Britain were concerned would be captured by Napoleon instead. Denmark were not a belligerent in the Napoleonic Wars and were completely neutral.

The attack was not successful and as a result of it, the Danes allied with Napoleonic France and extended the continental blockade of ports for British ships, which hadn't been in place in Denmark before this event, one of the few countries that hadn't been forced to blockade against British ships. Absolute disaster...

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I missed it by a day but still thought I'd post because yesterday was the anniversary of one of the biggest military blunders in British history, something that very few people in Britain are made aware of. 

In 1807, the Royal Navy bombarded Copenhagen in what, even to this day the Danes consider an act of terrorism. The objective was to capture the Danish fleet, which being one of the largest in Europe, Britain were concerned would be captured by Napoleon instead. Denmark were not a belligerent in the Napoleonic Wars and were completely neutral.

The attack was not successful and as a result of it, the Danes allied with Napoleonic France and extended the continental blockade of ports for British ships, which hadn't been in place in Denmark before this event, one of the few countries that hadn't been forced to blockade against British ships. Absolute disaster...

That reminds me there was a great tv series called Great Military Blunders 

On this day in 1812, the Battle of Borodino was fought to the west of Moscow between the forces of the Grande Armee of Napoleon and the Russian Empire. 

This battle was the bloodiest of the Napoleonic Wars, seeing 70,000 casualties, and arguably was the beginning of the end for Napoleon. Despite winning the battle and forcing the Russians to retreat to Moscow, Napoleon took enormous losses and upon pursuing the Russians, he arrived in Moscow to find that the city had been set ablaze.

With the Russian winter severely hampering the French forces, Napoleon began his ill-fated retreat from Russia, passing back over the battlefields at Borodino, still littered with the bodies that had fallen there. When advancing into Russia, Napoleon had adopted a scorched earth tactic and stripped the land of all food and resources and unfortunately, this decision would prove fatal to the Grande Armee because as they retreated during the winter, they could not feed themselves with there being no food for them to pillage. 

Much of the Grande Armee perished and this severely weakened force would lead to the pivotal defeat soon afterwards at the Battle of Leipzig. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Burrow is 41 today.  Happy birthday to the big, little man! (Gets mentioned in the notable birthdays column of The Times today)

• Like 4

Allegedly, today is International Poke Day.  Sounds promising, but apparently it relates to an aspect of Hawaiian cuisine...oh well!

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1829, Stephenson's Rocket wins the Rainhill Trials. 

And an onlooker, Jebediah Sunak, looks forward to his descendant stopping all this "railways in the North" nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today, by coincidence, Geoffrey Boycott and Manfred Mann are both 83.  Also celebrating a birthday today is someone called Kim Kardashian (a mere 43) who, younger members of my household tell me, is famous for being famous and, bodily, for having a generously proportioned rectal area.

• Like 1