1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

On this day in 2023, Ridley Scott says something rude to an interviewer who's done his research.

Probably.

That film was so sh*t. I walked out of there angry at how poorly it had portrayed possibly the greatest military mind in history and how much of his greatest achievement had been so glossed over. Only about 10 minutes in the entire film about the Russian Campaign. Only a couple of minutes on Austerlitz, which, as I say, is considered his greatest victory. Only a couple of lines spoken that vaguely mention the Italian Campaign. No mention whatsoever about Trafalgar or Leipzig, one of the decisive battles of the wars. Sh*t film. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That film was so sh*t. I walked out of there angry at how poorly it had portrayed possibly the greatest military mind in history and how much of his greatest achievement had been so glossed over. Only about 10 minutes in the entire film about the Russian Campaign. Only a couple of minutes on Austerlitz, which, as I say, is considered his greatest victory. Only a couple of lines spoken that vaguely mention the Italian Campaign. No mention whatsoever about Trafalgar or Leipzig, one of the decisive battles of the wars. Sh*t film. 

A big problem with Napoleon is the geographical inconsistencies. One minute he was in northern France, the next he was on a Mediterranean island. Ridley Scott obviously doesn’t know his Arras from his Elba.
Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/12/2023 at 21:46, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just watched a good documentary about Austerlitz on History Hit which I subscribe to . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just watched a good documentary about Austerlitz on History Hit which I subscribe to . 

I subscribe to History Hit's YouTube channel. I particularly like the series of videos they did about surviving different historical time periods. One of the guys who took part in that series has started his own channel with a similar theme called Survive History. 

If you want a really detailed and comprehensive series about the Napoleonic Wars, the YouTube channel Epic History TV have done a mind blowing series that will teach you everything you need to know. 

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I subscribe to History Hit's YouTube channel. I particularly like the series of videos they did about surviving different historical time periods. One of the guys who took part in that series has started his own channel with a similar theme called Survive History. 

If you want a really detailed and comprehensive series about the Napoleonic Wars, the YouTube channel Epic History TV have done a mind blowing series that will teach you everything you need to know. 

Dan Snow did a good segment on life in Nelson’s navy . 

On 10/12/2023 at 09:43, DavidM said:

Dan Snow did a good segment on life in Nelson’s navy . 

I preferred The Village people's version. More danceable.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1981, one of the biggest operations in British policing history comes to an end when police arrest "the Yorkshire Ripper", Peter Sutcliffe, in Sheffield. 

My dad, like pretty much all males in and around Bradford, was interviewed by the brains trust of West Yorkshire Police at one point. He was able to use a Bradford City ticket stub to prove he couldn't have been murdering a woman on the evening in question.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On this day in 1880, Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, collapsed and died on a street corner.

Worth looking up his life story - it's quite something!

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

On this day in 1880, Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, collapsed and died on a street corner.

Worth looking up his life story - it's quite something!

I'd never heard of him. I just had a quick read through his life and quite frankly he sounds like a nutter that people just felt sorry for and indulged! Has his life story been made into a film? Certainly sounds like the basis for one. 

• 2 weeks later...

One hundred years ago today, the King approved the list of cabinet ministers submitted by Ramsay MacDonald and the first Labour government in the UK came into being.  Here is the list.

First Lord of the Treasury and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs – The Rt Hon James Ramsay MacDonald.

Lord Privy Seal and Deputy Leader of the House of Commons – Mr John R Clynes, MP.

Lord President of the Council – Lord Parmoor, KCVO.

Lord Chancellor – Lord Haldane, KT, OM.

Chancellor of the Exchequer – Mr Philip Snowden, MP.

Secretary of State for Home Affairs – The Right Hon Arthur Henderson.

Secretary of State for the Colonies – The Right Hon James Henry Thomas, MP.

Secretary of State for War – Mr Stephen Walsh, MP.

Secretary of State for India – Sir Sidney Olivier.

Secretary of State for Air – Brig Gen Christopher Birdwood Thompson.

First Lord of the Admiralty – Viscount Chelmsford, GCSI, GCMG, GCIE, GBE.

President of the Board of Trade – Mr Sidney Webb, MP.

Minister of Health – Mr John Wheatley, MP.

Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries – Mr Noel Buxton, MP.

Secretary for Scotland – The Right Hon. William Adamson, MP.

President of the Board of Education – Mr Charles Philip Trevelyan, MP.

Minister of Labour – Mr Thomas Shaw, MP.

Postmaster-General – Mr Vernon Hartshorn, MP.

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster – Colonel Josiah Wedgewood, MP.

First Commissioner of Works – Mr F W Jowett, MP.

• Like 2

26 January, so it must be… yes, of course: the 353rd (or 354th) anniversary of the day the Earl of Rochester heard about a terrible injustice. His shipment of dildoes had been seized by customs.

https://mulberryhall.medium.com/odd-this-day-be1084f84442

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/01/2024 at 12:08, Futtocks said:

26 January, so it must be… yes, of course: the 353rd (or 354th) anniversary of the day the Earl of Rochester heard about a terrible injustice. His shipment of dildoes had been seized by customs.

https://mulberryhall.medium.com/odd-this-day-be1084f84442

Oh that's brilliant!

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.