On this day in 1894, the Stanley Cup is held for the first time in Montreal. 

On this day in 1895, the Lumiere Brothers publicly demonstrate motion pictures for the first time. 

On this day in 1933, the Nazis open their first concentration camp, Dachau. 

On this day in 1963, the Beatles release their debut album, Please Please Me.

• Like 1

A day late - sorry!

"The fourteenth of the New Year," said Gandalf; "or if you like, the eighth day of April in the Shire-reckoning. But in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A heck of a lot of stuff happened on this day in history so some of the highlights are, on this day in;

1867, Singapore becomes a crown colony of the UK. 

1873, the White Star steamer, SS Atlantic, sinks off the coast of Nova Scotia, killing 547 people. 

1908, the Territorial Army is formed. 

1918, the RAF is formed through a merger of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Navy Air Service. 

1924, the Royal Canadian Air Force is formed. 

1937, the Royal New Zealand Air Force is formed. 

1969, the Harrier Jump Jet enters service with the RAF. 

(I don't know what it is with this day and airforces..!)

1976, the Apple Computer company is founded. 

1984, Marvin Gaye is shot dead by his father. 

46 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

1984, Marvin Gaye is shot dead by his father. 

Dont know anything about that but it sure is a eye catching headline 

• Like 1

Wally Hammond hit 336 not out against New Zealand , the highest test score …. And Adolf Hitler was sent to jail for the Beer Hall Putsch in 1924 , a sentence which straightened him out no end and put a stop to his troublemaking 

• Haha 1

Another very eventful day in history, again just some of the highlights, on this day in;

1043, Edward the Confessor is crowned King of England. 

1721, Robert Walpole becomes Great Britain's first Prime Minister. 

1882, Robert Ford kills Jesse James. 

1885, Gottfried Daimler is granted a German patent for an engine which he would use in the world's first motorcycle, the Daimler Reitwagen. 

1888, the first murder attributed to Jack the Ripper takes place. 

(and in more recent decades, a few technology firsts)

1973, Martin Cooper of Motorola makes the first ever mobile phone call. 

1981, the Osborne 1, the first successful portable computer, essentially laptop, is unveiled. 

2010, Apple release the first iPad. 

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

1888, the first murder attributed to Jack the Ripper takes place. 

Edited by DavidM

This is another significant date for information technology. 

On this day in 1927, the first long distance television broadcast is made when a broadcast of an image of Herbert Hoover is made in the US. 

On this day in 1969, the Internet is considered to have been born with the publication of RFC 1.

The death of Francis (not the painter) Bacon in 1626, allegedly after a frozen food experiment.

https://mulberryhall.medium.com/odd-this-day-98a724861360

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Henry V was crowned King in 1413  … the Roanoake expedition organised by Walter oh what a big ship ive got Raleigh sets off 1585 …Lee surrenders to Grant in Virginia 1865 …  America buys Alaska 1867… Germany launches a third offensive at Verdun 1916… Battle of Arras 1917 … Germany invades Denmark and Norway ( Sweden is an interesting and nuanced  story ) 1940 … Suez Canal opened to shipping 1957… Georgia declares independence 1991… First election I voted in 1992 … Baghdad falls during Iraq invasion 2003 , that went well …

• Like 1

On this day in 1937, Frank Whittle ground tested the first jet engine intentionally produced for an airplane.

Its fascinating to think how early jet powered aircraft came into production considering we think of jet fighters as a post war invention but in fact the first jets to actually see active service in war were flown in the closing stages of the Second World War. 

• 2 weeks later...