On 08/06/2022 at 08:11, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Some older ones today. 

On this day in 452AD, Attila and his Hun army begin their invasion of Italy. 

On this day in 793AD, Vikings launch their first raid on Lindisfarne, generally accepted as the start of Norse activity in the British Isles. 

On this day in 1042, Edward the Confessor is crowned King of England. 

On this day in 1191, Richard I arrives in Acre to begin the Third Crusade. 

Which calendar are you using?

Nero marries Claudia Octavia , 53 …. Claudia Octavio commits suicide , 62 … Nero commits suicide , 68 ( yes all on this day ) 

Norway surrenders 1940

First nuclear missile submarine launches 1959

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Have your pre 1582 Julian dates been adjusted?

I presume so, I haven't really thought about it. I look up a list of events that took place on each day according to whatever history resource I'm looking at and post the ones I find interesting here. There's not really that much thought put into this thread on the AOB section of the TRL forum John! 😂😜 This isn't the history department of Oxford Uni, if a resource tells me something happened on a certain date then I'm happy to believe it for the purpose of posting it here! 👍

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

I only asked. Here on the Lincs coast we are still asking for our 11 days. 😀

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Give-us-our-eleven-days/

Oh yeah, I forgot you're in Lincs. Alright, well what I've got to tell you may shock you but one of these days on this thread I'm gonna tell you about an invention, now we've had it on this side of the Humber for a few years now but don't worry, you'll get it soon. It was invented by a German bloke and is called the automobile. I'm at work right now so can't go into the details here but basically it'll replace your horse and carts. Don't worry, you'll get it soon! 😂😉

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Haha 1

I've heard tell of mythical horseless carriages that use infernal confusion engines. Another north of Humber dream...a bit like a north of Humber SuperLeague winner.😀

Edited by JohnM

On this day in 1895, the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris Race took place which is considered to be the first ever motor race. 

60 years later, on this same day in 1955, 83 spectators are killed and over 100 injured in the deadliest accident in motor racing history when an Austin-Healey and a Mercerdes collide at Le Mans.

Death of Alexander the Great 323 BC

Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon 1509

Italy begins attacking Malta 1940

Frank Morris and the Anglin brothers become the only prisoners to escape Alcatraz … whether they escaped the island is another matter ,1962

Ronald Reagan funeral 2004

On 11/06/2022 at 11:58, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1895, the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris Race took place which is considered to be the first ever motor race. 

On this day, Emile Levassor becomes the first ever winner of a motor race when he finished 1st in the quoted race. He completed the 732 mile race in just under 49 hours at an average speed of 15 mph. 

On this day in 1158, the city of Munich was founded by Henry the Lion. 

On this day in 1645, the Battle of Naseby took place during the English Civil War with the Parliamentarians defeating the Royalists. 

On this day in 1789, the survivors of the mutiny on the HMS Bounty, including Captain Bligh, arrived in Timor after a 4,600 mile journey in a dinghy. 

On this day in 1940, the first prisoners were transported to Auschwitz. 

On this day in 1982, Argentine forces in Stanley conditionally surrendered to the British during the Falklands War. 

On 14/06/2022 at 12:40, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1789, the survivors of the mutiny on the HMS Bounty, including Captain Bligh, arrived in Timor after a 4,600 mile journey in a dinghy. 

Next day they were on a boat to Rwanda

• Haha 1