Wales Vs England

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just to be a little pedantic, it is Wales v England, not the other way round. Either way, I'm looking forward to this.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes in, and nil all for the moment. England strong favourites, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/06/2022 at 12:20, Futtocks said:

Just to be a little pedantic, it is Wales v England, not the other way round. Either way, I'm looking forward to this.

Changed it.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I like the look of this England outfit.  They have some good players and look pretty well conditioned.  Some of their execution is good.

The game in the UK is not at the standard of the NRLW but the eilte players here are pretty good.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I like the look of this England outfit.  They have some good players and look pretty well conditioned.  Some of their execution is good.

The game in the UK is not at the standard of the NRLW but the eilte players here are pretty good.

Plus there seem to be a fair number of players coming to the game from other sports, and not just RU. This shows the sport's broad and growing attraction to athletes who want a bit more physical contact than other sports offer.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wales 0:20 England at HT. England have just made it 0:26 with an early second half try.

Wales have defended with real guts, against significantly better opposition.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Should be about 50 in the end but it's definitely progress. We've fronted up well against a bigger, more incisive English forward line, we just sitting too deep and lack penetrating runs from deep to create that space. The good thing as Well from a Welsh perspective is most of our women are playing for Cardiff Demons who have shown they can beat WSL opposition already and should progress to playing that level regularly soon. There's players like Burnell with plenty of WRU experience as well as multiple women's RL clubs across South and North Wales. 

Edited by sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Like 2

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

TRY FOR WALES!

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, sgorpioncaerdyddrob said:

Should be about 50 in the end but it's definitely progress.

You know what? Wales have played their way into this game and the score is 6:30 with only a few minutes left.

England's second-half discipline didn't help their cause much, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wales 6:32 England is the final score.

A good enough contest to justify this being a regular fixture.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Both sides need more fixtures.  The fact Rudge is getting a record 25th cap today shows how few games even England has played.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wales 6:32 England is the final score.

Wasn't it?

I suspect Wales will over-run Italy next week. But if they don't then that's a really good sign for the competitive nature of women's RL in Europe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Both sides need more fixtures.  The fact Rudge is getting a record 25th cap today shows how few games even England has played.  

Genuine Q: Who has the most England caps in the current men's side - and how many do they have?

Wales women have played more than the men in recent years.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If we don't play regular international rugby league, then the scene will suffer, victory for our u16s v England last week and a competitive outing today shows that progress is being made, but we can't be going 3-4 years without an international match, covid or otherwise. It needs a meaningful, regular calendar, regardless of women/u16s/wheelchair/men/whatever

• Like 2

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

I really enjoyed that. Thought it was a very good standard, mainly because Wales were so much improved from last year. 
Channy Crowl, Vic Whitfield and maybe a couple of others should come back in for the game against the French, but I’d like to see Caroline Collie get another runout. Also hope Zoe Harris keeps her place. I think she’s been Saints’ best player this season.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Genuine Q: Who has the most England caps in the current men's side - and how many do they have?

Wales women have played more than the men in recent years.

Bateman?  Widdop?  Probably not many in double figures.

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Bateman?  Widdop?  Probably not many in double figures.

Widdop's way ahead of Bateman on caps, if Wikipedia's to be believed. Ryan Hall's got the most (38 Eng, 2 GB) that I've looked up so far, and he was in Wane's training squad a couple of months ago.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Widdop's way ahead of Bateman on caps, if Wikipedia's to be believed. Ryan Hall's got the most (38 Eng, 2 GB) that I've looked up so far, and he was in Wane's training squad a couple of months ago.

James Graham, when he retired, had the England record of 44 caps.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Touch Judge completes his afternoon with yet another phantom forward pass call. Must be a record. Thought the chance had gone when the ref went off.

Desperate need for the RFL to get a grip of this problem. Not helping the women`s game one iota.

Excellent game, despite the attempts to ruin it.

What has this to do with the RFL?

13 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

Well as this game was run by the RLEF they chose the officials with the ref being from Ireland

I`d been looking forward to seeing the Irish ref and on the whole he was okay, considering he must be relatively new to RL. In a post-match interview Craig Richards mentions there were crossed wires over the application of offside rules, but that can easily be fixed.

A harder nut to crack is officials, especially Touch Judges, wanting to call forward passes with the same alacrity as RL crowds. The RFL are responsible for the education and training of the majority of officials who control RL games in the UK. They are clearly failing to imbue a reliable image of how a forward pass looks, where the benefit of the doubt should go, and the difference between forward out of the hands and forward relative to the ground/body positions.

It`s a particular frustration in women`s RL where the appointed officials are usually younger and/or less experienced.

After the specific reference to the glut of phantom forward pass calls yesterday, my point was a general one about the culture and how it harms our game.