Which country has the most potential?

8 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Can you please explain why you think Serbia are fulfilling their perceived potential? They have a basic domestic league where two teams dominate to the detriment of the rest IMO. Regular scores of 80+ are not uncommon with the odd one into three figures. It’s not as if the season is competitive but the same teams win the title. I could live with that. They are treading water at best IMO.

Super League has three teams that dominate to the detriment of the rest. In football there are many many examples of this too, but it doesn’t stop other teams developing and the game thriving. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gambass said:

No, but football, volleyball, handball, basketball, water polo...  All with various degrees of international success. That's a lot for a 7m people country.

And all that with a declining and very fast ageing population. RL (or any other new sport) is never going to be a priority there.

Every country in Europe has a declined birthrate and ageing population. Some offset that with immigration but most don't.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Super League has three teams that dominate to the detriment of the rest. In football there are many many examples of this too, but it doesn’t stop other teams developing and the game thriving. 

It’s not like that though Eddie. It’s like Celtic and Rangers beating all the rest of the SPL teams 7 or 8, sometimes 10 nil every week. The losers get demoralised and the winners learn nothing as they simply cruise through the match. The top players don’t get tested often enough. That’s why, IMO, Serbia are not getting any better.

Africa in general would be fantastic at RL and watching the commonwealth 7s showed what athletes Uganda and Kenya have.

The best way to grow internationally would be to create a smaller version of the game and become a commonwealth and Olympic sport. USA also have a fantastic union sevens team with some quality athletes .

We are not going to grow by having heritage sides but what heritage sides do is provide meaningful opposition to the current tier one country's.

Wales and France are the big ones though. 

Its upto SL to help grow this. 

NZ also could do with a second NRL club.

NRL seem to be helping PNG along.

14 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Can you please explain why you think Serbia are fulfilling their perceived potential? They have a basic domestic league where two teams dominate to the detriment of the rest IMO. Regular scores of 80+ are not uncommon with the odd one into three figures. It’s not as if the season is competitive but the same teams win the title. I could live with that. They are treading water at best IMO.

Apologies - my comment out of context - I mean in terms of building the game, sustainably from ground up. Adding new teams every year. Playing internationals. Small Acorns snd all that…but in fertile ground

• Like 1

France is the obvious potential growth area, with a couple of full-time professional clubs, a domestic league and so on, they have the base, history, playing stocks, and the potential for broadcaster and corporate partnerships to really push on. That's my big hope for the next 5-10 years. 

Otherwise, I think Ireland has the potential to be a competitive nation that gets good support (at least in England and Australia). There are a lot of 'half Irish' people around keen to embrace that side of their heritage (with a few beers), so they should embrace it. Combine that with a big pool of heritage players to draw from and they could be a competitive team. The RFL should aim to make Ireland the country of choice for guys like Mick McIlorum, Ben Currie, Joe Philbin and others all play for, like the Tongan and Samoan guys do for their heritage nations. Behind that, focus on player development in Ireland and who knows, a potential Super League franchise? But at the top, make them a strong heritage team. The players are there.