Elite 1 Players with first grade experience

Just now, ATLANTISMAN said:

Best clubs yes however not in places where they could really grow crowds i guess.

Whatever happens they have to keep the traditional clubs and juniors happy.

They would add a big city club or two to attract to new crowds but they must keep the older small town clubs aswell.

I’m pretty sure it’s fairly common for small town clubs in French sport to be in the top league.

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

They would add a big city club or two to attract to new crowds but they must keep the older small town clubs aswell.

I’m pretty sure it’s fairly common for small town clubs in French sport to be in the top league.

In the old days yes however things have changed

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

No, no, no, no, no!! The Federation are starting a pro league from scratch and you're saying that clubs in small villages must join. Put the bottle of whiskey down 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

No, no, no, no, no!! The Federation are starting a pro league from scratch and you're saying that clubs in small villages must join. Put the bottle of whiskey down 

So you want all French rugby leagues with over 100 years of history to be erased, just so you can start up a few new clubs in big cities 😂.

26 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thats correct

Only St Esteve (Perpignan)/Avignon/Carcassonne(Maybe) Toulouse and Albi above 50000

They could have these teams:

Big City Clubs:

Catalans (Perpignan)

Toulouse

Avignon

New team in Paris or Lyon

Small Town Clubs:

Albi

Carcassone

Limoux

Lezignan

If it is 10 teams they could add Pia and have both a team in Lyon and Paris or Bordeaux.

Edited by SydneyRoosters

5 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

From memory (And this is in early stages) as they are talking to investors.

No particular order

CARCASSONNE

ALBI

TOULOUSE (Possible) 

TOULON

AVIGNON

LYON

PARIS

VILLENEUVE/AGEN 

Cannot remember if BORDEAUX was in there as well.

Do you have any idea how they're thinking of running these clubs?

Will they be stand alone professional clubs with an academy like in SL or like they are now where they run juniors at several age groups like community clubs in the UK?

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

You're not going to get the same level of investment for junior development as for creating full-time clubs. And I suspect any agreements would be for more than one-offs. 

If you’re not going to get that level of investment to develop the sports roots for both sexes and any other formats that are played in France (wheelchair, PDRL, LDRL etc) as for allowing some provincial clubs going full-time without much of a strategy as to why you’re doing that, what you want from them and what you want the sport to look like, you might as well throw the money away. 

Don't worry yourselves it'll never happen, no Lézignan players will move to Paris or bordeaux to play, neither will limoux players etc, trying to find players in Paris will be difficult as a 3rd or 4th division union players earn double or triple that a pro French rugby  League club could offer, 

They may add the odd team like Toulon or maybe a Montpellier team but they'd need huge investment just to have an extra 2 teams, 

You all really don't understand how far gone league is in France, or how small it is,  

7 hours ago, barnyia said:

Don't worry yourselves it'll never happen, no Lézignan players will move to Paris or bordeaux to play, neither will limoux players etc, trying to find players in Paris will be difficult as a 3rd or 4th division union players earn double or triple that a pro French rugby  League club could offer, 

They may add the odd team like Toulon or maybe a Montpellier team but they'd need huge investment just to have an extra 2 teams, 

You all really don't understand how far gone league is in France, or how small it is,  

4 Division Rugby union players make triple what Elite 1 players make. 😂 year right.

Also no-one is saying this will happen, just a possibility and good thought of what could happen of the back of the 2025 World Cup.

59 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

4 Division Rugby union players make triple what Elite 1 players make. 😂 year right.

3rd division RU budgets are up to €5m, 4th division up to €2.5m. Biggest budget in Elite 1 this year is €0.65m...

EDIT: To specify, these figure are for the overall budget. Player salaries will generally make 25-30% of that.

Edited by Gambass
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gambass said:

3rd division RU budgets are up to €5m, 4th division up to €2.5m. Biggest budget in Elite 1 this year is €0.65m...

EDIT: To specify, these figure are for the overall budget. Player salaries will generally make 25-30% of that.

I’m confused are you agreeing with me or trying to disprove me and failing.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Gambass said:

How big is a RU squad compared to a RL squad?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Really, I read players are mostly amateur but can sometimes receive between 15-30k. Why don’t all Elite 1 players just go to Federal 1 and earn over 100k a year, something seems fishy.

The biggest earners in Nationale 1 (Nationale 1 is the new third tier, Nationale 2 is the new 4th tier,and Fédérale 1 is now only the 5th tier) are likely to be foreigners. And with 40+ guys on the payroll, money is still spread kinda thin.

Nationale 1 figures :

https://le-mag-sport.com/2022/09/05/rugby-nationale-le-classement-des-budgets-club-par-club/

Elite 1 figures :

https://treizemondial.fr/les-budgets-des-clubs-delite-1-pour-la-saison-2022-2023/

(original source for both are from printed newspapers)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gambass said:

😂 Thank you I guess, you just proved my point, 4th Tier of French rugby union have 600,000k. By the way Lezignan we’re spending Well over a Million last season.

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

😂 Thank you I guess, you just proved my point, 4th Tier of French rugby union have 600,000k. By the way Lezignan we’re spending Well over a Million last season.

If they did, they would be bankrupt.

42 minutes ago, Gambass said:

Let me clear this up, are trying to disagree with me and say 4th Division clubs get payed 2.5 Million but then mention the fact they only get 25% percent of that which is 625,000. I’ll have to assume your agreeing with me otherwise it just wouldn’t make any sense.

20 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

How big is a RU squad compared to a RL squad?

This is also true, 625,000k to be shared between 30-35 players is not that much. 

I'm no Mathematician but 625K divided by 33 (Average RU Squad) is around 19k per player (which is also what most websites were saying average pay is like)

If Elite 1 clubs have around the same amount of money and an average rugby league squad is around 26-27 players, Players would receive around 23-24K on average.

Last time I checked 19,000$ isn't triple 23,000$.

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Let me clear this up, are trying to disagree with me and say 4th Division clubs get payed 2.5 Million but then mention the fact they only get 25% percent of that which is 625,000. I’ll have to assume your agreeing with me otherwise it just wouldn’t make any sense.

If you read the word "budget" on a french article, it will always refer to the club overall budget. The player salaries are basically never disclosed, but it can usually be estimated to be around 25-30% of that figure.

The figure you are quoting for Lézignan is (at best) the overall club budget.

I can't make myself clearer than that.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 09:01, SydneyRoosters said:

Just Realised, interestingly there is not 1 English player in elite 1 who has played SL.

Edit- Mitch Clark has reportedly signed with Pia so I take this back.

No Clarke hasn’t signed at Pia, still has a year left at Newcastle.