A WC Festival

RayCee

I was thinking about how in ice hockey many top NHL players don't go to their WC. They still have it anyway and it's popular. It also means without the best always there, the winner is more variable. So I thought about a RL WC festival held a year before a WC, a comp where all the players with NRL or SL contracts are excluded. A WC for the semi pros and amateurs.

Australia would be made up of Qld and NSW comp players, home nations sides from the Championship and the French from Elite 1. It would be a great leveler and would give nations without access to full pro players a chance do better. One sided games would be far fewer yet the standard would still be entertaining. I'd watch it and enjoy many of the games more than at a full WC.

For countries like Greece - that sent a side over to this WC to get mercilessly walloped three times - a chance to compete and gain greater benefit from the experience. It would motivate people in emerging RL nations to take up the sport and hopefully get picked to represent their nation. Any profit would be shared among the nations involved.

Pie in the sky I know but I like putting out ideas to challenge the status quo. RL needs to do more to encourage the sport in 'emerging' nations and to encourage international RL generally. We need to try different things otherwise we'll keep getting what we already have, a few good nations and a bunch of stragglers totally outclassed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

You might find the outcome depressingly similar to the actual World Cup. Probably even more lopsided.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Just now, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You might find the outcome depressingly similar to the actual World Cup. Probably even more lopsided.

I don't see how a team like Australia - deprived of all its NRL stars - would be handing out bigger floggings to a team like Jamaica which had no fully pro players at this WC just concluded. In other words, Australia would be weakened and Jamaica would have the same squad. I'm not saying Australia wouldn't still be too good but the contest would have to be a more even one. 

8 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I don't see how a team like Australia - deprived of all its NRL stars - would be handing out bigger floggings to a team like Jamaica which had no fully pro players at this WC just concluded. In other words, Australia would be weakened and Jamaica would have the same squad. I'm not saying Australia wouldn't still be too good but the contest would have to be a more even one. 

Jamaica wouldn’t have the same squad as you’re depriving them of their SL players. A select team of Q cup and NSW cup players representing Australia would still flog Jamaica, Greece, Italy etc by 60-80 points. Appreciate this is a bit of a joke thread but the results would be even more lopsided with the weak teams not able to call upon professionals to bolster them.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

53 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Jamaica wouldn’t have the same squad as you’re depriving them of their SL players. A select team of Q cup and NSW cup players representing Australia would still flog Jamaica, Greece, Italy etc by 60-80 points. Appreciate this is a bit of a joke thread but the results would be even more lopsided with the weak teams not able to call upon professionals to bolster them.

Janaica had two players from SL, the rest of varying levels, some unattached to any club. For someone who thinks this is a joke thead, yet deems it worth commenting on, needs to get out more. May I suggest a nice walk in the country to clear your head. If you still feel the same, why not try other posts more to your liking.

• Haha 1

There is teams in NSW Cup who would come pretty high up in Super League.

An Australian team with those young guys in it would destroy teams made up from the championship or league 1 in England.

I know its a fantasy idea, but it's a complete non starter. We can't even make a profit with the real world cup. This thing would just be a financial sinkhole with tiny crowds and virtually no sponsorship. 

No thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

An Australian team with those young guys in it would destroy teams made up from the championship or league 1 in England.

I know its a fantasy idea, but it's a complete non starter. We can't even make a profit with the real world cup. This thing would just be a financial sinkhole with tiny crowds and virtually no sponsorship. 

No thanks. 

Financial risk can be assessed by competent people. 

Teams were destroyed in the WC just gone. No one can say with certainty what sort of scores would be posted but you apparently can. You don't seem to allow for a possibility you could be wrong. You cannot see past the negatives and see anything good from it. Wow. 

If if ever did come to pass, I don't suppose we could share a high five? My raised mitt will be there anyway. 

5 hours ago, Madrileño said:

No thanks. 

Have they announced the WC made losses? I must have missed that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Madrileño said:

No thanks. 

Congratulations , a post that has some reality to it , well done 

• Like 1

I actually like this idea if you drop "semi-pro" from it and just select amateur players from each nation. Not sure how you'd make sure you have your best 13 especially if you had someone playing abroad but I like it as a concept. The big thing to think about of course would be paying for the thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

No, he’s making it up. He’s a sociopathic anti league troll. 

I didn't say anywhere that it made a loss. 

However Jon Dutton was unable to confirm whether the tournament would break even, when speaking to the media on Friday.

While a rights fee has been paid to IRL, which will allow some funds to be used for international development, it looks overwhelmingly like there will be no real profit from the game's flagship global event. 

If you want to accuse this as trolling - then I would suggest you have your head in the sand, as it is simply reality.

Face it. But then I suppose it is easier to ignore it, and call other posters "sociopathic". 

8 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Not all one sided games this World Cup were predictable and boring. 

England v Samoa, England v PNG, Scotland v Italy come to mind.

Samoa v Tonga , Tonga v PNG are 2 that were very good that I watched live 

8 hours ago, overtheborder said:

I actually like this idea if you drop "semi-pro" from it and just select amateur players from each nation. Not sure how you'd make sure you have your best 13 especially if you had someone playing abroad but I like it as a concept. The big thing to think about of course would be paying for the thing.

Isn't that the main issue with anything ?

30 minutes ago, kdizl said:

I think this is a good idea for a nines world series to be honest. Means it could run through the year without ####### off the NRL too much. 

Isn't that ' underwriting ' , which is common in lots of things like this , tours by rock bands and the like ? , And countless other things like infrastructure projects ? 

51 minutes ago, Leonard said:

"no real profit"

So paying the profit upfront in the form of a rights fee means there is "no real profit".

Jesus.

Who do you think makes up the shortfall in the event of a failure to break even?

I will quote Jon Dutton himself from 3 days ago:

""We've got 15 commercial partners who are new to the sport and then there's a balance to make up from ticket revenue. There's no profit."