Violent crowd invasion at soccer game in Australia

9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Wow....it just seems to create / attract fan violence as a game .....independent of it's played in Millwall, Rio or Melbourne 

Weird 

Maybe you have to be a nob head to like it ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Wow....it just seems to create / attract fan violence as a game .....independent of it's played in Millwall, Rio or Melbourne 

Weird 

Maybe you have to be a nob head to like it ?

I notice in the report that their governing body arrogantly talks about "Australian Football" as if soccer was the only kind of football in the world too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I notice in the report that their governing body arrogantly talks about "Australian Football" as if soccer was the only kind of football in the world too.

They have that awful tunnel vision and read bits that you get these sad try hards impersonating some 1980s Football Casual or European Ultras go in jeans and Burberry Scarves to matches and its the height of summer lol.

21 minutes ago, EggFace said:

They have that awful tunnel vision and read bits that you get these sad try hards impersonating some 1980s Football Casual or European Ultras go in jeans and Burberry Scarves to matches and its the height of summer lol.

Exactly. The reputation of football elsewhere will no doubt encourage other copycats in newer markets.

Apparently, they were originally protesting about a decision to centralise the Grand Final in Sydney. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Exactly. The reputation of football elsewhere will no doubt encourage other copycats in newer markets.

Apparently, they were originally protesting about a decision to centralise the Grand Final in Sydney. 

I hate the attitude that they want to be number 1 in Australia.

I wonder another multi code country like Ireland or Canada has the same problem with Soccer wanting to be number 1 ????

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I wonder another multi code country like Ireland or Canada has the same problem with Soccer wanting to be number 1 ????

The size of Ireland makes this difficult. They could never realistically sustain a top well-attended league. Rugby Union has just 4 clubs I think.

They're competing with something they can't realistically compete with - GAA. This isn't because they don't want to, but because it is basically a form of representative sport where every county has a team. Football just isn't going to replicate this model. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Has it got a history of fighting then? 

One of the first rules of A-League was that all the old ethnic clubs couldn't join. The new City-based clubs couldn't use any ethnic colours, symbols or theme songs. Back in the 80s and into the 90s in some cases, in Sydney every game between the Croatian club and the Serbian club turned into a brawl. They eventually were only allowed to play in empty stadiums. Greek v Macedonian clubs had a lot of brawls.

I always thought the saddest part about it was that those fans were too young to have migrated after WWII. They were all born here and learnt that hatred from their parents.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

One of the first rules of A-League was that all the old ethnic clubs couldn't join. The new City-based clubs couldn't use any ethnic colours, symbols or theme songs. Back in the 80s and into the 90s in some cases, in Sydney every game between the Croatian club and the Serbian club turned into a brawl. They eventually were only allowed to play in empty stadiums. Greek v Macedonian clubs had a lot of brawls.

I always thought the saddest part about it was that those fans were too young to have migrated after WWII. They were all born here and learnt that hatred from their parents.

Blimey....Balkan brawls in the Aussie sun...who'd have known?....well obvs all Aussies but not me....never heard of it 

Soccer ****heads

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Blimey....Balkan brawls in the Aussie sun...who'd have known?....well obvs all Aussies but not me....never heard of it 

Soccer ****heads

Yes it's a forgotten fact about OZ history that when people of my generation thought of terrorists it was more often than not Croatians, not Arabs or Muslims. The first big terrorism case here was back in the 1970s when a bunch of Croatians were arrested for training in a paramilitary group and there were also a couple of bombings blamed on Croatians. This was how Max Krilich got the nickname "Bomber."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_Six

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/postcolonial-blog/2016/jul/29/catholic-extremism-fears-in-1970s-australia-made-croats-the-muslims-of-their-time

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What???? Tennis crowd violence? 

Ok I have not googled anything you've said so far but I'm close 

You being serious? 

Is there any fighting at NRL games by way?

Yes, it wasn't court side as far as I know but it was definitely on the tournament grounds, fights between fans of Balkan players.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, EggFace said:

Number 1? It's a joke. Our womens national team got beaten by a boys high school team from Newcastle and they still get more coverage from ABC and SBS than the Jillaroos who just won a WC. Two days ago the ABC ran a big story about some Junior Development coach complaining that the Govts need to spend more money on soccer because all the usual rubbish. Well, this is the usual rubbish.

If they're so #1, how come the spectators don't believe it? We've had State Leagues and National Leagues here for 50 years. They've had major multinational Corp sponsors and TV deals and international club championships and all those things that Brits think will grow RL over there and where is soccer in 2022? Bunch of dumb thugs throwing flares onto the pitch then invading because something about finals being played in Sydney.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EggFace said:

Certainly not here in Canada or in the US and I doubt in Ireland either, they'd never pull it off in any of these countries.  Probably not in NZ or South Africa either, though I don't know as much about those countries and their sports scenes.

• Like 1