Guasch

audois

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky pay to broadcast Super League matches. Catalans are as critical as all those other clubs in producing those matches. Indeed, along with the top English teams they produce a lot of the very best matches.

Sky don't care why you are watching, just that you are watching. Catalans games perform no worse than any other.

When Sky tell us they think having Catalans in negatively impacts their valuation, come back to us.

Unless you work for Sky I’m not sure how you can comment on their behalf. It’s been widely publicised the pros and cons of having a french team in SL is a cost, it was in the agenda at the first IMG meeting.

Sky only show Catalans games when someone else films it, that’s how much they care about their games and someone only films it when Catalans pay for it, that’s how much french TV value it. French TV doesn’t even show SL games.

If people in France were buying Sky packages I’m sure they’d then take an interest in filming their games, who knows they may have even improved their TV rights for the game and that would have really added some value.

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its actually all about bringing value to the competition (A point thats seems to be missed by many:(

Paul

I like Catalans I want them in SL just for the variety and the competition but I’d also be an advocate of more teams 14-16. Let IMG do there job and bring in the money to fund it.

The millions in extra revenue that Catalans generates off the field enables them to field a top class side of French, English and Australian players that now challenges for the title every year - which substantially enhances the Superleague product.

Kicking them out and replacing them with Widnes, London or any other English team you can think of would not replace like with like - none of those teams would be able to generate anything close to the money Catalans can.  So the teams they would field would be the usual mediocre relegation scrapping bunch, which ends up with fading interest, declining crowds and eventual relegation (or worse). And the Superleague title gets contested by fewer teams, weakening the product.

Kicking out one of our most financially strong clubs would only accelerate the decline of the English game, not slow it.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

The millions in extra revenue that Catalans generates off the field enables them to field a top class side of French, English and Australian players that now challenges for the title every year - which substantially enhances the Superleague product.

Kicking them out and replacing them with Widnes, London or any other English team you can think of would not replace like with like - none of those teams would be able to generate anything close to the money Catalans can.  So the teams they would field would be the usual mediocre relegation scrapping bunch, which ends up with fading interest, declining crowds and eventual relegation (or worse). And the Superleague title gets contested by fewer teams, weakening the product.

Kicking out one of our most financially strong clubs would only accelerate the decline of the English game, not slow it.  

Nobody said kick them out, certainly not for London or Widnes, they are a great club as previously stated, we are discussing the myth that they are a benefit to SL. 

The point about London and Widnes was in answer to someone stating that having Catalans in SL meant growing the player pool, and I believe there would be more top quality players around with 30M invested in Widnes than the handful of mediocre french players that we have.

2 hours ago, binosh said:

Unless you work for Sky I’m not sure how you can comment on their behalf. It’s been widely publicised the pros and cons of having a french team in SL is a cost, it was in the agenda at the first IMG meeting.

Sky only show Catalans games when someone else films it, that’s how much they care about their games and someone only films it when Catalans pay for it, that’s how much french TV value it. French TV doesn’t even show SL games.

If people in France were buying Sky packages I’m sure they’d then take an interest in filming their games, who knows they may have even improved their TV rights for the game and that would have really added some value.

No. Sky don’t feel the need to incur significantly higher costs by travelling to France to film Catalans matches there. That doesn’t mean they aren’t equally happy showing Wigan v Catalans here than they are Wigan v Wakefield, where the production costs are the same. In fact, because Catalans produce a competitive, consistent Top 6 side they prefer to show them - because their games will have more meaning. 

The idea that Sky look at individual clubs to sell subscriptions is nonsense. It’s the matches they want, and preferably ones between high quality competitive teams. Unless people want to argue that somehow the overseas teams in the Europa League or Champions League don’t contribute to the entertainment value when playing an English club. Clearly makes zero sense. The match is the product, and 2 teams contribute equally to creating the match. 

• Like 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Of course opinions are allowed but on platforms such as these they prompt questions.

The discussion about the French getting a Rugby League TV deal was debated on these pages not to long ago with a lot of honest comments coming from some of our French posters, it was assumed that there was not the market/interest in France for any broadcaster FTA or Subscription to invest in a TV deal as they would get no return from it.

But you also referred to over crowding of clubs in confined areas over here not being beneficial for the game, in your opinion what do we do about that if I may ask.

Nothing wrong with overcrowding but not all in a top division, may not appeal to people who follow the clubs bow many sustain a place agt the top for long spells and I know through history these clubs have won silverware but the ability of these clubs to climb high again seem remote and the ability to run and finance a teams, acadamy sides plus all other community work is difficult in there crowded areas. 

18 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No. Sky don’t feel the need to incur significantly higher costs by travelling to France to film Catalans matches there. That doesn’t mean they aren’t equally happy showing Wigan v Catalans here than they are Wigan v Wakefield, where the production costs are the same. In fact, because Catalans produce a competitive, consistent Top 6 side they prefer to show them - because their games will have more meaning. 

The idea that Sky look at individual clubs to sell subscriptions is nonsense. It’s the matches they want, and preferably ones between high quality competitive teams. Unless people want to argue that somehow the overseas teams in the Europa League or Champions League don’t contribute to the entertainment value when playing an English club. Clearly makes zero sense. The match is the product, and 2 teams contribute equally to creating the match. 

I understand your point but you have just said it yourself, the champions league teams DO NOT contribute to the Premier leagues TV rights it’s separate on different channels but they add value through their own separate deal which is shown in the UK and thus provides entertainment. 

Thats all we are asking of the french, add some value, professionalise the french league and bring some income into the game as a whole.

Chuck PSG into the Premier League at the expense of any premier league team and give them English League funding watch the football fans erupt.

3 hours ago, binosh said:

I understand your point but you have just said it yourself, the champions league teams DO NOT contribute to the Premier leagues TV rights it’s separate on different channels but they add value through their own separate deal which is shown in the UK and thus provides entertainment. 

Thats all we are asking of the french, add some value, professionalise the french league and bring some income into the game as a whole.

Chuck PSG into the Premier League at the expense of any premier league team and give them English League funding watch the football fans erupt.

No. The fans of Norwich, WBA, Fulham or any other yo yo side would probably go mental. All such sides are largely irrelevant to the TV deal and replaceable. 

Most wouldn't care and would look forward to PSG improving the spectacle. TV and sponsors would love it. 

4 hours ago, binosh said:

No mate. It’s analogous. The French team *is* in the same league, whether you, your cap and your whippet like it or not, and so the 1/12th share they get of the media rights fees is earned not a charitable donation. 

All an English team would do with the same media rights £££ is spend it on the same players’ salaries, so no money leaves the “English game” when the Catalans spend it any more than if Featherstone spent it. Unless, like I said originally, you’re worried about the Governments tax and national insurance receipts 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

No mate. It’s analogous. The French team *is* in the same league, whether you, your cap and your whippet like it or not, and so the 1/12th share they get of the media rights fees is earned not a charitable donation. 

All an English team would do with the same media rights £££ is spend it on the same players’ salaries, so no money leaves the “English game” when the Catalans spend it any more than if Featherstone spent it. Unless, like I said originally, you’re worried about the Governments tax and national insurance receipts 🤣🤣🤣

You might aswell of typed im incapable of having a serious debate when when the subject falls outside my capabilities of thinking so therefore I’m just going to call you names. 

15 hours ago, binosh said:

You might aswell of typed im incapable of having a serious debate when when the subject falls outside my capabilities of thinking so therefore I’m just going to call you names. 

I could have done, but it’s Christmas 🤣