Match thread: Championship Round 5: Featherstone v Bradford. Monday 6th March 2023.

marklaspalmas

Monday Night Football.

Out fourth home game on the trot (no comment)

The Bulls are in town, and loathe them or pity them, they are one of the more Box Office clubs of the Championship.

A big game no doubt and one to look forward to.

Early teams news. Aekins looks set to join Hankinson, Hall and presumably Moors (no report) on the sidelines, but that still leaves us a 22 man squad.

Presumably, Caleb's misfortune opens the door for Pickersgill. Nobody will be surprised if Koppy and Springer are back for this one. Evans, Cooper and Lacans all wait in the wings.

I think we'll be too good for them, but it'd be good to see a close battle to get the pulses racing.

Up The Rovers

• Like 2

Important game, this. We were distinctly flat against Newcastle, and for a period against Whitehaven. There were definitely mitigating circumstances for those two games - the expectations of blowout wins always make it difficult to keep the intensity up, and we rested two of our main middles for the latest game.

Bradford are going to be coming into the game on a high and looking for another scalp after beating Toulouse. I watched that game, Toulouse were their own worst enemies really, they were in control leading 18-8 when they broke through and should have scored. Marion lost the ball, took exception to something Lilley said or did and a flare-up started, and Toulouse lost the plot from that point.

On the next set Bradford knocked on 25m from their own line but another flare-up began, 2 players were sin binned and Bradford were awarded the penalty. They kicked into touch 40m out, Arundel tapped the ball and Toulouse barely attempted to tackle him - the full back was busy pointing out to the ref that there was another ball on the field, I don't know that's why the other players just let him stroll through though, it was one of the weirest incidents I can remember.

The game totally changed after that, Toulouse's discpline collapsed and Bradford got on top.

Credit to Bradford though who really did a number on them and played well. We'll need to make sure we don't fall into the same trap as Toulouse, Flanagan in particular very much seemed to get under the skin of some of the Toulouse players.

The loss of Hankinson and presumably Aekins is a big blow as they had both been very good in our early-season run of form. I hope we can get back to playing fast, direct rugby and keeping them on the back foot from the start. We were relatively error-free in our first two games but not our last two and we need to get back to those good completion rates.

A win for Bradford would open the division right up and mean any number of teams would be fancying their chances of promotion, so a strong Rovers performance would be good to see.

Bradford will be on a high, and rightly so after toppling Toulouse. It seemed like they were rattled by Bradford and they fell to pieces. Perhaps the Newcastle game may have been ideal preparation for us after all as we, mostly, seemed to keep our cool.

Kopczak and Springer to take their places back in the side, assuming them missing was not injury related. Pickersgill to come in for Aekins if unfit.

Yes, I think this should be one of our easier teams to guess.
Something like
Pickersgill
Briscoe
Leilua
Hardcastle
Gale
Ford
Dean
Lockwood
Wildie
Springer
Bussey
Day
Cozza
subs
Taylor
Kopczak
Yei
Jones

Possible JD gets in ahead of either Locky or Cozza but Long has spoken very highly of both those 2 so that's my guess. I'm assuming Moors still isn't fit (and we'd probably want a less intense game for his comeback)

I think Cris H is the best in the league so not very nice him missing but Josh not a bad replacement  and I was told but can't confirm that Caleb has a tight hamstring similar to what brought Joey off against leigh last year  so with 8 days rest could play but if he doesn't brandon's no slouch got to say I would be more worried if we were missing some of our big hitters in the pack 

As for the game watched highlights of all the bulls games and I think if our forwards hit their straps  we will be too strong for them and put them on the back foot ala the other title contender Fax 

AND

All of a sudden our defence has stood up to be counted and cos we have been scoring tries for fun 41 I think and only conceded 6  all things being considered  I think  it's going to take a really good performance from our oppo's on the day to score more than us🤣

Finally the funny thing was last week before they beat TO Bulls fans wanted them to knock the FEV game in the head and play their reserves  to rest players for the next game at home  the Eagles now they including a certain Mr G  think they've got a chance to beat us:kolobok_grin:

Don't you just love Rugby League:kolobok_yahoo:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Another alternative that's not yet been suggested is Dean to FB and Lacans back in the halves

I think Long gave a clear indication of which direction he was heading (if Aekins is out) in his post-game interview. "We've got somebody lined up who'll come straight in to full back...hopefully it's not too serious for Caleb , but we've got someone waiting in the wings who's been training hard." Unless Kheirallah (who is reportedly back doing sprints now) is way ahead of his supposed May return then that means Pickersgill.

I also think our two starting halves need more game time because we have seen a lot of upheaval and changes at centre and back row, including switches from left to right hand side and vice versa for Dean, Bussey, and Hardcastle. There were a couple of misfires between Dean and Hardcastle in the second half against Newcastle when Dean was chiming in from full back on the left, and Dean hasn't had much playing time with Leilua on the right hand side, which is presumably where he'll be playing regularly.

• Like 1

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think Long gave a clear indication of which direction he was heading (if Aekins is out) in his post-game interview. "We've got somebody lined up who'll come straight in to full back...hopefully it's not too serious for Caleb , but we've got someone waiting in the wings who's been training hard." Unless Kheirallah (who is reportedly back doing sprints now) is way ahead of his supposed May return then that means Pickersgill.

I also think our two starting halves need more game time because we have seen a lot of upheaval and changes at centre and back row, including switches from left to right hand side and vice versa for Dean, Bussey, and Hardcastle. There were a couple of misfires between Dean and Hardcastle in the second half against Newcastle when Dean was chiming in from full back on the left, and Dean hasn't had much playing time with Leilua on the right hand side, which is presumably where he'll be playing regularly.

Ta. Haven't seen that interview with Long

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think people tend to forget how good Pickersgill looked at the start of last season before his injury. For me, although not quite as good as CA and Killer, he’s still a quality player who would get in any other team in the Championship.

• Like 8

On 28/02/2023 at 12:45, POR said:

I think Cris H is the best in the league so not very nice him missing but Josh not a bad replacement  and I was told but can't confirm that Caleb has a tight hamstring similar to what brought Joey off against leigh last year  so with 8 days rest could play but if he doesn't brandon's no slouch got to say I would be more worried if we were missing some of our big hitters in the pack 

As for the game watched highlights of all the bulls games and I think if our forwards hit their straps  we will be too strong for them and put them on the back foot ala the other title contender Fax 

AND

All of a sudden our defence has stood up to be counted and cos we have been scoring tries for fun 41 I think and only conceded 6  all things being considered  I think  it's going to take a really good performance from our oppo's on the day to score more than us🤣

Finally the funny thing was last week before they beat TO Bulls fans wanted them to knock the FEV game in the head and play their reserves  to rest players for the next game at home  the Eagles now they including a certain Mr G  think they've got a chance to beat us:kolobok_grin:

Don't you just love Rugby League:kolobok_yahoo:

I don’t know why we’d rest players against you when are next home game is York acorn at home. Surely that be when we rest players and play are strongest against you to gauge where we are plus we’ve had 8-9 days rest.

19 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

I don’t know why we’d rest players against you when are next home game is York acorn at home. Surely that be when we rest players and play are strongest against you to gauge where we are plus we’ve had 8-9 days rest.

The comments  B came before the TO game and challenge cup draw and was about resting players for the eagles game at home 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

£15 to get in for Adults and cheap ale all night , let's hope it gets more in.

I've seen some people on FB moaning about the reduced prices having already bought tickets or season tickets.

To me those people are thinking it wrong. It's win/win. You bought the tickets/season tickets at what you considered to be a fair price, and in the case of season tickets probably did so to help support the club too.

But as well as the committed supporters, the club also needs those who aren't quite so committed, or perhaps are really struggling with finances. Because if the club gets more people paying through the gate, we ALL win, including those committed supporters who paid full price or bought season tickets, because that's what helps us afford players like Elijah Taylor, Chris Hankinson, Mackenzie Yei etc. Plus there will be a better atmosphere with a bigger crowd.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I've seen some people on FB moaning about the reduced prices having already bought tickets or season tickets.

To me those people are thinking it wrong. It's win/win. You bought the tickets/season tickets at what you considered to be a fair price, and in the case of season tickets probably did so to help support the club too.

But as well as the committed supporters, the club also needs those who aren't quite so committed, or perhaps are really struggling with finances. Because if the club gets more people paying through the gate, we ALL win, including those committed supporters who paid full price or bought season tickets, because that's what helps us afford players like Elijah Taylor, Chris Hankinson, Mackenzie Yei etc. Plus there will be a better atmosphere with a bigger crowd.

Plus it might encourage more Bulls supporters to turn out. 

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This one of them where it’s only for featherstone fans as tickets bulls been given by featherstone are 20 quid?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I've got a s/t but it doesn’t bother me,the club can't do right for doing wrong!

• Like 5

Then do the bulls fans get charged that extra 2 quid once in the ground as said above ha

still haunts me that as a proud Yorkshireman buy ticket at face value and for no other reason charged a extra 2 quid ha. At the time could not blame featherstone at all massive crowd and cashed in that big more can’t knock it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullmania said:

Then do the bulls fans get charged that extra 2 quid once in the ground as said above ha

still haunts me that as a proud Yorkshireman buy ticket at face value and for no other reason charged a extra 2 quid ha. At the time could not blame featherstone at all massive crowd and cashed in that big more can’t knock it

No fans have been charged £2 extra as far has i know

2 minutes ago, Bullmania said:

To be fair it wasn't cheap to get in Odsal. 

5 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

No fans have been charged £2 extra as far has i know

We did when we played you in the play of shield thing was it and you did us 20 nil bulls fans got charged extra 2 quid in ground to sit the only place they was letting bulls fans go.

Edited by Bullmania

1 minute ago, Bullmania said:

We did when we played you in the play of shield thing was it and you did us 20 all bulls fans got charged extra 2 quid in ground to sit the only place they was letting bulls fans go.

Sorry i  meant this season, yeah i  remember when they did charge Bulls £2 to sit down.

Edited by Fevrover