Grading

clifford

16 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Closed shop was not mentioned in my post...

Not saying it was, but it’s a counter-argument I’ve read many times on different platforms.

16 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

but please can you specify precisely what you see the changes will achieve so we can judge them objectively.

Simply put, clubs are going to have to invest in multiple parts of their clubs to improve off the field, rather than spaffing the majority of their income on players’ wages and relying on wealthy benefactors or hand-outs. Add this to the relegation issue I’ve mentioned above. And IMG’s résumé. And the fact that the majority of clubs have voted for it and see it as a great opportunity for the sport. 

• Like 3

Like I have already said, unless the IMG's proposals project the image of our game through a massive, continuing publicity push by getting all of the media outlets on board, I can't see there being any real change over the five year tenure IMG have got.

Being of the old school, I feel we should have a second Great Schism and let sooperdooperleeg go its own way and the remaining 20+ team create their own competition and their own Challenge Cup. I say this because sooperdooperleeg only care for themselves and let's be honest it's become boring. For example the Challenge Cup was great when ALL the clubs were in the first round with the so called big clubs playing against anybody who came out of the hat. Now the sooperdooperleegers don't come in until round six - what a nonsense. I can guarantee that the final will be between a team that was there either last year or the year before. It was great going down for the weekend for the craic and the rugby. Sadly, with the same teams appearing year after year it has become boring evidenced by the falling gates.

Bring on The Second Great Schism.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

On 23/04/2023 at 13:38, jroyales said:

Like I have already said, unless the IMG's proposals project the image of our game through a massive, continuing publicity push by getting all of the media outlets on board, I can't see there being any real change over the five year tenure IMG have got.

Being of the old school, I feel we should have a second Great Schism and let sooperdooperleeg go its own way and the remaining 20+ team create their own competition and their own Challenge Cup. I say this because sooperdooperleeg only care for themselves and let's be honest it's become boring. For example the Challenge Cup was great when ALL the clubs were in the first round with the so called big clubs playing against anybody who came out of the hat. Now the sooperdooperleegers don't come in until round six - what a nonsense. I can guarantee that the final will be between a team that was there either last year or the year before. It was great going down for the weekend for the craic and the rugby. Sadly, with the same teams appearing year after year it has become boring evidenced by the falling gates.

Bring on The Second Great Schism.

That would simply confirm the end of RL outside of SL and the amateur game. Maybe that would make some folk happy for the few years that they have left?

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Another schism isn't going to happen. No appetite for it, and more importantly no money for it. We need to focus on improving off field as well as on field. If you think about it we're in a much better position than most, outside SL, at the moment. We have a massive historic community set up ready to tap into. Something a lot of others won't have for years. We've got a stadium, BP. We've got Melrose playing fields from where we can launch the ladies, the  reserves, "colts", as well as a training ground. We have 200'000 population who need to know that 1895 is more than when the latics were born. But also ,and more importantly, when Oldham was the centre of the northern rugby football union/Rugby League. Let's get to a catB and compete with likes of Feathersone and Halifax. #thetownthatmaderugbyleague

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 9

I have to be honest I haven't seen the full draft from IMG but the bits I have read seem to suggest that the game gets everything right off the field and then you are accepted to the top table even though it's garbage on the field.

Does the new thinking involve the amateur game in its proposals? Because without it the game is dead no matter what they come up with. Talking to amateur rugby players they want a return to winter rugby so that they can enjoy their summer.

Where can I see the full draft?