1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

If Leeds want rid of headless chickens, I'd probably start with Austin and Sezer before the hookers tbh. I really don't know how Leeming has managed to get the chop over those 2.

The coach doesn't like Leeming. Don't know why, but its a clear takeaway I've seen since he came in.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

He's changed a lot since last season, and despite enjoying all of it, I'm willing to accept that the end to last season involved a lot of flukey wins.

Ultimately after a full preseason we have 2 wins from 5 against 2 of the bottom 3. Captain leaving the club. Losing to the other side in the bottom 3 who haven't won all season. All whilst being nearly totally directionless and, ironically, leaderless on the pitch.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but the best coach in the world will be sacked if results don't come.

We’ll see. Win our next few and it will all seem different, its still early in the season.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

The coach doesn't like Leeming. Don't know why, but its a clear takeaway I've seen since he came in.

Yeah seems to be the case, be interesting to see if he can get the team firing in the same way it did the back end of last year. I'm not convinced by the signings he's made this year though. Luis Roberts for instance is nowhere near ready for the deep end of SL, when I saw he signed for Leeds I figured they'd have him out at Bradford for at least a full year of championship rugby. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Leeming hasn’t played well at hooker for a fair while his best performances last year were at 7.

if a player doesn’t want to be at the club then so be it. Let’s not over egg it like we’re losing the best hooker in the league.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Leeming hasn’t played well at hooker for a fair while his best performances last year were at 7.

if a player doesn’t want to be at the club then so be it. Let’s not over egg it like we’re losing the best hooker in the league.

We are losing a competent player who has been on the verge of an England call up and is a capable leader in the group.

The coach has undermined him, both as captain and as hooker. That happens sometimes, but I don't blame him for forcing his way out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Yeah seems to be the case, be interesting to see if he can get the team firing in the same way it did the back end of last year. I'm not convinced by the signings he's made this year though. Luis Roberts for instance is nowhere near ready for the deep end of SL, when I saw he signed for Leeds I figured they'd have him out at Bradford for at least a full year of championship rugby. 

I said before the season given the "odd" choices being put forward by the coach that this will either work brilliantly or he will be sacked by May.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

We are losing a competent player who has been on the verge of an England call up and is a capable leader in the group.

The coach has undermined him, both as captain and as hooker. That happens sometimes, but I don't blame him for forcing his way out.

You’re assuming it’s all smiths doing, o conner has been far better than him, if Leeming wanted his spot back he has to earn it.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

You’re assuming it’s all smiths doing, o conner has been far better than him, if Leeming wanted his spot back he has to earn it.

O'Connor is nowhere near the level for a top hooker. He's a reliable passer and tackler but offers nothing beyond that, minimal creativity, no spark, no kicking game. 

He was a solid backup, but we aren't winning moments of magic with him there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

O'Connor is nowhere near the level for a top hooker. He's a reliable passer and tackler but offers nothing beyond that, minimal creativity, no spark, no kicking game. 

He was a solid backup, but we aren't winning moments of magic with him there.

So whats the answer if a player wants to leave? 

He will also be on a big wage

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

O'connor is a decent player but doesn't look like a natural hooker, he looks like a rower filling in and Bentley ended up filling in during the second half when O'connor went off. You can't seriously think Bentley is a better hooker than Leeming.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So whats the answer if a player wants to leave? 

He will also be on a big wage

The player wants to leave because of his treatment by the coach (not uncommon). 

The wage is a nice knock on effect, though I'd rather have a good hooker and a captain frankly.

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

O'connor is a decent player but doesn't look like a natural hooker, he looks like a rower filling in and Bentley ended up filling in during the second half when O'connor went off. You can't seriously think Bentley is a better hooker than Leeming.

Where have i said Bentley is a better hooker?

Would you play a player that has said he doesn’t want to be at the club?

Personally id have put Johnson on the bench

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Where have i said Bentley is a better hooker?

Would you play a player that has said he doesn’t want to be at the club?

Personally id have put Johnson on the bench

I think it would've been pretty easy to keep Leeming happy to be honest. He should have played in the world Cup but for Wanes misguided loyalty to Micky Mac and was one of your best players last year. He got stripped of the captaincy which was given to no one and then dropped despite  not really having any better options at hooker. Unless there has been a personality clash and falling out behind the scenes it just looks odd from an outsiders perspective. Leeming doesn't exactly come off the trouble making type 

• Like 2

Aaron Bower Tweeted that North Queensland Cowboys had expressed an interest in Leeming.

But they already have two hookers, so if that rumour's true, I'd expect Ger-ger-ger-Granville or Reece Robson to be on the move. More likely the former, I'd say.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Aaron Bower Tweeted that North Queensland Cowboys had expressed an interest in Leeming.

But they already have two hookers, so if that rumour's true, I'd expect Ger-ger-ger-Granville or Reece Robson to be on the move. More likely the former, I'd say.

NRL seems the most likely destination. It'll be interesting if he does end up at a SL club, in terms of clubs below the cap that are able to spend the money the list is very limited. Pretty much all the big clubs will be close to if not at the cap so could spark an early season merry go round.

I'm sure I remember reading that for mid season signings, the players existing contract amount counts against the new clubs cap even if the new contract is lower. For example, if Leeming was on 100k at Leeds and signed for Wigan for 70k, 100k would go against Wigans cap. Not sure if that is still the rule though - if so it will further affect who picks him up if its a SL club.

I will be sorry to see him go, even though I would start O'Connor and play Leeming off the bench. It puts a lot of pressure on O'Connor staying fit now. He himself is not very experienced at 9 but if he's out it leaves us with an unproven Corey Johnstone or by the sounds of it Bentley. A difficult place to be in for arguably the most important position on the field.

1 minute ago, The Magic Rat said:

I will be sorry to see him go, even though I would start O'Connor and play Leeming off the bench. It puts a lot of pressure on O'Connor staying fit now. He himself is not very experienced at 9 but if he's out it leaves us with an unproven Corey Johnstone or by the sounds of it Bentley. A difficult place to be in for arguably the most important position on the field.

We might bring someone in, but having no quota space makes it difficult 

16 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

We might bring someone in, but having no quota space makes it difficult 

Slim pickings in terms of non quota players at present. I think your best chance is if Leeming does go to a SL club and Leeds can at least get a swap deal. If he goes to the NRL Smith is probably going to have to dip into the championship again, you'd probably be looking at someone like Josh Eaves. I was surprised he wasn't picked up by a full time club as squad cover when Newcastle went part time to be honest.

2 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Slim pickings in terms of non quota players at present. I think your best chance is if Leeming does go to a SL club and Leeds can at least get a swap deal. If he goes to the NRL Smith is probably going to have to dip into the championship again, you'd probably be looking at someone like Josh Eaves. I was surprised he wasn't picked up by a full time club as squad cover when Newcastle went part time to be honest.

I get the feeling Smith will go with what we have got - I don’t think Leeming will end up at another SL club, who has the cap space?

I reckon he’s had some interest from the NRL hence the release request.

Obviously none of us really know the full story. Smith made a clear choice last season that he preferred O'Connor. That worked in the run to the Grand Final. I think O'Connor has all the right skills to be a quality hooker but he doesn't have the experience - he's still played less than a full season there.

Leeming obviously wants to be starting hooker, but he does have some weaknessses, particularly in defence. Having said that on his day he is a really talented player. I know it was against a team in a mess, but Wire away last year he was absolutely brilliant in attack, including kicking. 

The strange thing is that with all this going on Johnson hasn't played a game.  That makes it feel like Smith has being trying to keep Leeming happy, but ultimately can't because he wants to start.

It probably really dented Leeming's ego that he wasn't named captain this year as well - IIRC about a week before Smith said there would be a 'leadership group' Leeming said he wanted to be captain.

Not sure what this means going forward, but it might actually explain some of the poor performances this year. Leeming will have his mates in the squad, and he's no doubt (and perfectly understandably) grouched to them. All in all better if he just goes.