Cycling 2023

Don't think anybody was expecting Vingegaard to deliver such a hammer blow to Pogacar in yesterday's time trial. The race is his to lose now. Still a couple of stages to come where Pogacar could claw back time but in reality Vingegaard is in such good shape he looks more likely to drive home his advantage. 

Good to see Adam Yates sneak into a podium position. Team duty in service of Pogacar permitting, I hope he can stay there.

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Well, AG2R Citroen got a surprise win yesterday on a brutal day in the mountains. Typically, I didn't tip  Felix Gall and I'd never heard of him before this race! It was his first ever win and he had no reputation as a mountain climber.

Sprint day today and Cavendish Phillipsen and Ewan are all gone from the field. I have tipped Van Aert to take a well-deserved win and Van Poppel as wildcard.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

One or two people tipping Groenewegen to win today's stage but if it's a bunch sprint it's hard to see past Philipsen adding to his tally.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The Eurosport commentator said yesterday that Philipsen was out of the race.I would have tipped him if I thought he was still in the field.

Mind you, I'd still not have won many points because the sprinting teams messed up bigstyle and couldn't quite catch the breaaway on the finish line. Trentin finished 8th and, now he's free of team orders, he might go well for the rest of this week. Same for Van der Poel.

It was interesting to watch the chasing peleton till 10k out; it was led by Ineos who don't have a sprinter . Obviously there's been some horse-trading with another team, perhaps involving some cooperation in the Vuelta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The Eurosport commentator said yesterday that Philipsen was out of the race.I would have tipped him if I thought he was still in the field.

Mind you, I'd still not have won many points because the sprinting teams messed up bigstyle and couldn't quite catch the breaaway on the finish line. Trentin finished 8th and, now he's free of team orders, he might go well for the rest of this week. Same for Van der Poel.

It was interesting to watch the chasing peleton till 10k out; it was led by Ineos who don't have a sprinter . Obviously there's been some horse-trading with another team, perhaps involving some cooperation in the Vuelta.

Maybe they were confusing Philipsen with Jakobsen.

Great to see the breakaway succeed and get one over the sprint teams. Probably helped by the fact that so many teams have lost their sprinter, there weren't that many of them left who were invested in the chase.

Cannot believe some  are questioning Jonas domination of GC suggesting he could be using drugs.

Pogacar prep for tour was limited due to hand injury , especially altitude stuff and he finally cracked under the pressure from Jumbo Visma to protect their leader. Yellow jersey is tested every day regardless , French press possibly clutching at straws as Alaphillipe has done SFA at this tour.

• Like 1

Trust the bloody French to put on the best Tour de France in years when the best Ashes Test Series in years is on another channel at the same time. Last week, there was Wimbledon Tennis as well.

I reckon that at least 80% of Environment Agency, Civil Service and Local Government officers are currently working from home. It's weird how you always get the answering machine when you ring them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Cannot believe some  are questioning Jonas domination of GC suggesting he could be using drugs.

Pogacar prep for tour was limited due to hand injury , especially altitude stuff and he finally cracked under the pressure from Jumbo Visma to protect their leader. Yellow jersey is tested every day regardless , French press possibly clutching at straws as Alaphillipe has done SFA at this tour.

I've noted before just how poisonous the BBC HYS is on RL. The cycling HYS is also horrible. Drug Testing in Cycling means nothing because there was no test for EPO 20 years ago, therefore...... 

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting a cycling binge on the BBC, as they are covering track, road, mountain, arena, everything in the World Championships. Over 8,000 competitors in and around Glasgow for the largest event in the sport.
They're even showing Cycleball! 

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watched the road race highlights last night (went to the Batley game in the afternoon). Mathieu van der Poel was awesome.

The usual dickheads spoiled the race by glueing themselves to the road because of oil-company sponsorship being involved. No spectators relieved themselves into empty bottles for application to the protestors' clothes.

Edited by Wolford6

On 05/08/2023 at 00:10, corvusxiii said:

How did it go? What did you think? 

It was alright. Warm.

Glasgow being Glasgow, the event itself was awful.. really terrible food and drink options which just annoys me.

On the track, some brilliant races, but a tad underwhelming as it didn't feel like a World Championship for some reason. The Olympics would be good as would having the medal ceremonies in the building.. but this would be difficult given the pace of the evening which was spot on.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

12 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Watched the road race highlights last night (went to the Batley game in the afternoon). Mathieu van der Poel was awesome.

The usual dickheads spoiled the race by glueing themselves to the road because of oil-company sponsorship being involved. No spectators relieved themselves into empty bottles for application to the protestors' clothes.

They didn't spoil it al all. Good on em.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

• 4 weeks later...

Geraint Thomas now 25th after an uninspiring ride in the Vuelta today. Looks like Ineos will have to go for some stage wins. Philippo Ganna in a sprint finish is the best chance ... there are very few top-notch sprinters in the field.

The exciting bit is whether anyone will pull rank in the Jumbo Visma team. The unexpected leader of the race is youngster Sepp Kuss, whilst the establshed twin leaders (and rivals) Primoz Roglic and Jonas Vingegaard are nearly three minutes back.

Overall favourite Remcol Evenepoel looked unstoppable a few days ago but the final mountain absolutely drained him today.

Spanish cyclists haven't seen much success in recent years but they'e currently got four riders in the top 10. With few pure sprinters on the Tour, that gives them a chance to pick up some good finishes.

Two weeks to go; plenty of time for more upsets. It's going to be a very interesting race.

• Like 1

First three places in the Vuelta GC all occupied by Jumbo-Visma but the internal team dynamic is getting very interesting and probably just a little bit tense. For all the talk of riding for Sepp Kuss, Vingegaard and Roglic didn't hesitate to drop him on the final climb on the Angliru. He's far too nice a bloke and too much of a team player to criticise his teammates but he must have been thinking they'd shafted him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Luke Rowe is an animal in the Grand Tours ... spending hours chasing down breaks and shielding his team leader from the wind. Then, at the end of each stage, he coasts in at the back of the pack. At the end of the race he's always trying to finish last overall.

Yesterday, in the European Road Race, he flirted with danger ... 75th of 87.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JohnM said:

TdF 2024 finishes with time trial in Nice, not traditional Paris finish, owing to Olympics, according to Cycling Weekly website.

What. 

What. 

What. 

What

Edited by MattSantos