Does anyone know... England Academy?

The England Academy tour to Australia in 2020 was a victim of Covid but it seems that there has been no attempt to see our kids go to Australia or the Aussie Schoolboys come over here since then.

Has this just stopped now?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just posted a similiar thread without having seen yours ....Great minds think alike 😁

Will remove mine. 

I do enjoy these clashes and have been to watch a few live here in Brisbane.

Hopefully they come back.

PS. Any recent  (《 10 years) games / tours between England and New Zealand at this level ? 

• Like 1

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

I was just having a look around the World Wide Web Information Superhighway to see if there was any news on a Schoolboy tour.

Anyway, on this site the 2022 Australian Schoolboys team was named even though they didn't play any games.

On the same page, the Queensland under 18's team who defeated NSW were named "the World Champions in schoolboy rugby league".

Maybe they have just decided to say the Australians are best and they don't need to play any games.

https://www.ourfootyteam.com.au/blog/australian-schoolboys/2022-australian-schoolboys/2022/07/08/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I was just having a look around the World Wide Web Information Superhighway to see if there was any news on a Schoolboy tour.

Anyway, on this site the 2022 Australian Schoolboys team was named even though they didn't play any games.

On the same page, the Queensland under 18's team who defeated NSW were named "the World Champions in schoolboy rugby league".

Maybe they have just decided to say the Australians are best and they don't need to play any games.

https://www.ourfootyteam.com.au/blog/australian-schoolboys/2022-australian-schoolboys/2022/07/08/

They win the title by default if nobody else can be bothered.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I wouldn't say the site is the bastion of journalistic professionalism.  Just a bit hyperbole by a high school keyboard clicker. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

4 hours ago, The Partisan said:

I wouldn't say the site is the bastion of journalistic professionalism.  Just a bit hyperbole by a high school keyboard clicker. 

While that is undoubtably true (and I like the ourfootyteam web site), it does represent a problem in attitude that means no-one is even thinking of setting up international games at this level.

Despite the fact that Saints regularly send their Academy team down under and win far more than they lose, and despite the fact the last time the Australian Schoolboys and England Academy played, the latter won the series 2-0, there is still an attitude that the best junior teams in Australia are the de facto world champions so there is no point in actually playing any games to prove it.

It is an attitude that permeates our sport and one of the reasons why our international setup is so poor.

• Like 3

On 28/05/2023 at 02:54, Dunbar said:

The Australian Schoolboys had their inaugural tour of Fiji last year, winning the match against the Fijian Schoolboys 58-13. 

The Australian Schoolgirls also defeated their Fijian counterparts 48-0 in the first ever iteration of the Australian Schoolgirls side.

A couple of the Fijian schoolboys were subsequently signed by NRL clubs, I believe their captain and man of the match signed to the Broncos within a week of the game. 

There are plans to develop a regular tri-series at schoolboy level between Australia/NZ/Fiji off the back of this tour, in order to get each side 2 games a season.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby-league/fiji-schoolboys-go-down-in-vuvale-shield/#:~:text=September 30%2C 2022 4%3A28,they bagged their first point.

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2023 at 07:37, gingerjon said:

They win the title by default if nobody else can be bothered.

It may not be a case of nobody else being bothered, it may be Australia who are neither bothered inviting anyone else or declining invitations themselves.

But back to the point, I have attended many of the GB v Aussie Schoolboys games over the years and keenly watched and noted the progression of a number of the participants from both Hemispheres, there is not a lot between the them as teams at this stage of their development, it just seems that a lot of the Aussies kick on better as individuals as their careers progress, obviously to me it is the environment they are coached and participate in that makes the difference, probably like a number if our player's who go onto play in the NRL they are seemingly better player's for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UTK said:

The Australian Schoolboys had their inaugural tour of Fiji last year, winning the match against the Fijian Schoolboys 58-13. 

The Australian Schoolgirls also defeated their Fijian counterparts 48-0 in the first ever iteration of the Australian Schoolgirls side.

A couple of the Fijian schoolboys were subsequently signed by NRL clubs, I believe their captain and man of the match signed to the Broncos within a week of the game. 

There are plans to develop a regular tri-series at schoolboy level between Australia/NZ/Fiji off the back of this tour, in order to get each side 2 games a season.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby-league/fiji-schoolboys-go-down-in-vuvale-shield/#:~:text=September 30%2C 2022 4%3A28,they bagged their first point.

That's quite good, but does it also mean "F+=£" anybody else?

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It may not be a case of nobody else being bothered, it may be Australia who are neither bothered inviting anyone else or declining invitations themselves.

But back to the point, I have attended many of the GB v Aussie Schoolboys games over the years and keenly watched and noted the progression of a number of the participants from both Hemispheres, there is not a lot between the them as teams at this stage of their development, it just seems that a lot of the Aussies kick on better as individuals as their careers progress, obviously to me it is the environment they are coached and participate in that makes the difference, probably like a number if our player's who go onto play in the NRL they are seemingly better player's for it.

Similar to the French players who are generally really competitive with us at youth levels.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

@UTK, forget that what I said, I will rephrase it, does it mean "F+=£" the NH?

I went back to find the comments that indicated the tri-series was on the cards as I realised the article I initially linked didn't actually contain those. The actual article referencing those comments is a bit contradictory as the headline suggests an annual series while the article indicates it would be every 2-3 years, limited quotes on the topic but certainly suggests it's on the cards.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby-league/vuvale-challenge-could-be-an-annual-event/

Edit: To answer your question if it isn't an annual event then it probably doesn't neglect the NH, if it is then perhaps it does.

Edited by UTK

This article suggests that a game between the Aussies and Britain (I assume England Academy) was being planned for late 2022.

The Fiji game seemed to be put together quite quickly. Maybe it was a replacement for an England game that couldn't be worked out for whatever reason. 

https://www.ourfootyteam.com.au/blog/australian-schoolboys/meet-the-2022-australian-schoolboys/2022/07/09/