Why Is It Called “Summer Bash”?

17 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Something doesn’t sound right about it 🤔 

Isn't the "Bash" in Cricket Australia's Big Bash League a play on words alluding to more than just sixes being thwacked all over the place?

There's a Bob Dylan song "Million Dollar Bash" from the Basement Tapes. Fairport Convention did the most well-known version.

20 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Isn't the "Bash" in Cricket Australia's Big Bash League a play on words alluding to more than just sixes being thwacked all over the place?

There's a Bob Dylan song "Million Dollar Bash" from the Basement Tapes. Fairport Convention did the most well-known version.

yeah, it wasn’t the word “bash” which had me stumped? I am surprised the “Summer Bash” made it past an Unapolgetic Pedant like yourself without critique.

My knowledge of Dylan is extremely limited. I am more a fan of the rock, favouring from that era, the Stones, Floyd and Jimmy. Been listening to David Bowie a bit recently too. Great era of music.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

yeah, it wasn’t the word “bash” which had me stumped? I am surprised the “Summer Bash” made it past an Unapolgetic Pedant like yourself without critique.

Why the puzzlement? It's a "Bash" in the "Summer". Not to be confused with a "Bummer in the Summer" - track from classic album "Forever Changes".

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Floyd 

Good luck with the most boring band of all time.

31 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Why the puzzlement? It's a "Bash" in the "Summer". Not to be confused with a "Bummer in the Summer" - track from classic album "Forever Changes".

Is it Summer in York right now?

Personally, I found Bob boring.

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Is it Summer in York right now?

Is this a nit-picking point that the summer months here are June, July, August? i.e. that May is in the season of spring.

We are in British Summer Time as far as the clocks are concerned.

14 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Personally, I found Bob boring.

Me too. Mostly.

32 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Is this a nit-picking point that the summer months here are June, July, August? i.e. that May is in the season of spring.

Isn't the first day of summer 21st June?

You're one of those that puts up the Christmas tree straight after Halloween, aren't you!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Isn't the first day of summer 21st June?

You're one of those that puts up the Christmas tree straight after Halloween, aren't you!

Astronomical summer begins on June 21st. Meteorological summer begins on June 1st.

In recent years, Christmas begins in this house on Christmas Eve. If it's lucky.

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Me too. Mostly.

It’s still Spring. Perhaps they could have called it Summer Time Bash, or Clocks are Forward Bash. It’s about as accurate as a SL Play the Ball.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I missed a prior opportunity to dispose of this quote. Better late than never -

Now is the winter of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this sun of York

Shakespeare captured my interest even less than Bob did.