Domestic Season Hots Up......

Who is the new Valkyrie signing ?

is it Carrie Roberts ?

Just saw on social media ex international incoming and had a photo of England vs Canada.

Pretty sure she played in that game.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

1 hour ago, BroncoFan said:

Who is the new Valkyrie signing ?

is it Carrie Roberts ?

Just saw on social media ex international incoming and had a photo of England vs Canada.

Pretty sure she played in that game.

Yes, it's Carrie Roberts

40 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

Happy to say that Saints v York Valkyrie is live in Fox Sports in Australia. 😀👍

Really hoping to see how Carrie Roberts goes against her old team.

I'll put a fresh thread up for discussion (live on Sky Sports action here)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/07/2023 at 01:43, unapologetic pedant said:

The negative aspect of WSL Group 1 is obviously the chasm between top three and bottom three.

The positive aspect is that it's now safe to say that any of the top three could beat either of the other two on the day.

Results from WSL Group 2 - Barrow 24 Featherstone 10, Salford 22 Castleford 10, Leigh 46 Bradford 10.

Big win for Barrow. Backing up their victory at Salford last week. Amanda Wilkinson developing a competitive squad for this division. Both their defeats to Leigh were not by much.

WSL Group 2 result- Leigh 12 Barrow 14 in front of 1310 at LSV.

Which means Fev finish top, narrowly edging Barrow on for and against. Featherstone 16, Barrow 16, Leigh 15.

The above quote on WSL Group 1 could equally apply to WSL Group 2. Not much between the top three, then a gap. Encouraging that said gap is not the chasm at the end of the regular season that it appeared to be at the start. Plaudits to Wigan and Salford for their campaigns.

Barrow were previously beaten by Leigh in cup and league. The win today is a measure of their progress through the year.

• Like 1

A crowd of over 1,200 watched York Valkyrie beat Huddersfield 60-4 at the LNER stadium on Sunday (York Knights were playing away at Bradford at the same time, making the attendance even more creditable). Almost the whole crowd stayed long after the final whistle to see the Valkyrie pick up the League Leader's Shield amidst jubilant celebrations.

This was a double-header, with the Valkyrie U-19s making their LNER debut with a 22-20 win against a previously undefeated Wigan U-19s side in the earlier kick-off. All in all, a remarkable day for Women's Rugby League in York.

All the focus is now on the play-off semi-final at home against Wigan on 23rd September, which will be shown live on Sky (as will the Saints-Leeds semi-final, later the same day)

York not only retained the Shield with an unbeaten regular season record, but skipper Sinead Peach also got to take the Shield home with her..... May be an image of 2 people and frisbee

Edited by RBKnight
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

A crowd of over 1,200 watched York Valkyrie beat Huddersfield 60-4 at the LNER stadium on Sunday (York Knights were playing away at Bradford at the same time, making the attendance even more creditable). Almost the whole crowd stayed long after the final whistle to see the Valkyrie pick up the League Leader's Shield amidst jubilant celebrations.

This was a double-header, with the Valkyrie U-19s making their LNER debut with a 22-20 win against a previously undefeated Wigan U-19s side in the earlier kick-off. All in all, a remarkable day for Women's Rugby League in York.

All the focus is now on the play-off semi-final at home against Wigan on 23rd September, which will be shown live on Sky (as will the Saints-Leeds semi-final, later the same day)

York not only retained the Shield with an unbeaten regular season record, but skipper Sinead Peach also got to take the Shield home with her..... May be an image of 2 people and frisbee

Any steer on the make-up of the 1200? All regulars at Knights men's games or a percentage of new fans specifically for the women's team? 

27 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Any steer on the make-up of the 1200? All regulars at Knights men's games or a percentage of new fans specifically for the women's team? 

From what I could see, attendance was boosted by the U-19s friends and families, and a good presence of Heworth girls, but also by quite a few older male Knights fans (some sitting near me) who I don't think had seen the Valkyrie before, judging by comments I heard, but rather enjoyed the action.

Amelia Brown actually received a Red Card for this tackle in the final play of the game to deny York a score, which IMO, looking again, was probably harsh

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RBKnight said:

From what I could see, attendance was boosted by the U-19s friends and families, and a good presence of Heworth girls, but also by quite a few older male Knights fans (some sitting near me) who I don't think had seen the Valkyrie before, judging by comments I heard, but rather enjoyed the action.

Amelia Brown actually received a Red Card for this tackle in the final play of the game to deny York a score, which IMO, looking again, was probably harsh

Saw that clip on insta with a comment about how big the hit was, no mention of any card/foul play. That's ridiculous that it's been penalised, let alone sent off!

58 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Saw that clip on insta with a comment about how big the hit was, no mention of any card/foul play. That's ridiculous that it's been penalised, let alone sent off!

I'm assuming that the ref might have thought there was head contact, from whatever position he was in at the time.

4 hours ago, RBKnight said:

I'm assuming that the ref might have thought there was head contact, from whatever position he was in at the time.

All the contact appears to be around the ball. Fine margin though.

Refs can be influenced by circumstantial factors. Not unknown in the men's game for losing players to launch a final petulant cheap shot when they hear the bell. Still happens all-too-often at the end of games in France.

19 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Wonder what the MRP will make of it! Didn't seem to be a red card, but I'm not an official!