Littler

jroyales

It's sad to hear so many bad comments about Littler. His team, this season, have been playing some of the best rugby I have seen for many a year. I feel the wheels fell off the wagon when Paga was suspended. He created the link between forwards and backs, he was the first man so enabling Rydyard to play his game he also, on many occasions caused panic in defences.

The draw and loss against Dewsbury and losses against Doncaster were wins and it was poor game management that lost and drew those games - it wasn't Littler's. Yesterday's game wasn't his fault. He, again didn't have a scrum half, he didn't get two players sin binned, he didn't have players making wrong choices and he wasn't in control of Hunslet's spoiling tactics ignored by the ref.

With Paga or Sheridan in the side, we wouldn't be having this discussion. With a full squad with Littler we would have been pushing for automatic promotion.

35 minutes ago, jroyales said:

It's sad to hear so many bad comments about Littler. His team, this season, have been playing some of the best rugby I have seen for many a year. I feel the wheels fell off the wagon when Paga was suspended. He created the link between forwards and backs, he was the first man so enabling Rydyard to play his game he also, on many occasions caused panic in defences.

The draw and loss against Dewsbury and losses against Doncaster were wins and it was poor game management that lost and drew those games - it wasn't Littler's. Yesterday's game wasn't his fault. He, again didn't have a scrum half, he didn't get two players sin binned, he didn't have players making wrong choices and he wasn't in control of Hunslet's spoiling tactics ignored by the ref.

With Paga or Sheridan in the side, we wouldn't be having this discussion. With a full squad with Littler we would have been pushing for automatic promotion.

I agree with what you've said about injuries and suspensions. However, our drop in form has happened from the same time Kear got sacked by Hamilton at Widnes. Personally I don't believe in coincidences. Rumours are rife about him already accepting the Widnes job for next season. If that's the case, I would prefer the board to act now. At least it might give us an immediate bounce and some kind of a chance in the play-offs. 

If the rumours are correct, how can the board keep him on? There has to be some clarification sooner than later. My feeling is, if the rumours are founded, he goes with immediate effect and Mike Ford takes over until a new coach is found.

Although recent form has been a little less than we would like, I believe that we have every chance of winning the play offs. Whether we are third ,fourth or fifth only matters in terms of home advantage and the extra rest day second place gets. We would still have to play perhaps Donny, hunslet, and maybe worky. I'd rather us get the poor form out of the way now and be stronger for the play offs than shoot our bolt too soon. We know we have our strongest team yet to come.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Can't argue about that TAof H&F.What about Littler's position at the club?

It's all speculation. But I can't help wondering whether Fordy is dipping his hand in coaching the the team anyway. I thought that from the off. If he's not then he must be itching to do it. He's a natural coach. 

46 minutes ago, RoughyedsFan_merged said:

A marriage of convenience. I'd say we have a new coach who's currently playing elsewhere, who's club aren't in the best position to release him at the moment, but I'm only speculating there.

Player? Or currently player/coach? Wouldn't be comfortable giving the job to someone who has never coached before at this stage.

Aware that everybody needs a chance but we need experience 

• Like 1

I definitely think we're playing some of the best rugby we've seen in years, unfortunately when it's mattered we've been on the wrong side of the result. 

I agree re Paga and he's been sorely missed Sheridan would have slotted straight in too, however we just have to dust ourselves down and start again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

The sooner the better if it's true Littler's on his way to Widnes.

Granted it's not guaranteed, but we're unlikely to finish lower than fourth given Workington's remaining fixtures.

The most important thing is getting players back and fit from injury/suspension over the next month in time for the play offs.

I think we will be in a really strong position on the pitch and the sidelines for the business end of the season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

If the Widnes forum is to be believed sounds like SL had his Widnes interview yesterday afternoon . 

From what I’ve heard it’s a done deal. No coincidence that our form has dropped since Kear was sacked. His head has been turned. I think the board should let him go now.

2 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

From what I’ve heard it’s a done deal. No coincidence that our form has dropped since Kear was sacked. His head has been turned. I think the board should let him go now.

As I've already mentioned, it doesn't worry the board. We already have our own plan in place that doesn't involve Littler.

All this was very predictable once the takeover took place. Both coaching and playing staff would, sooner rather than later, become unsettled.

As soon as the board made known their ambitions and plans with regard to next season, a number would certainly doubt that they would feature in those plans. This will be especially so, now that there is talk of a top of Championship side to be in place next season, whether we are still in League 1 or are promoted to the Championship via the play-offs.

The bond that the coaches and squad have worked hard to create from pre-season, may be disrupted but hopefully will not be broken. So, as we go into some very important games as the season concludes, let's hope we can go on and reap the benefits of that commitment and camaraderie.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

All this was very predictable once the takeover took place. Both coaching and playing staff would, sooner rather than later, become unsettled.

As soon as the board made known their ambitions and plans with regard to next season, a number would certainly doubt that they would feature in those plans. This will be especially so, now that there is talk of a top of Championship side to be in place next season, whether we are still in League 1 or are promoted to the Championship via the play-offs.

The bond that the coaches and squad have worked hard to create from pre-season, may be disrupted but hopefully will not be broken. So, as we go into some very important games as the season concludes, let's hope we can go on and reap the benefits of that commitment and camaraderie.

Suspect Littler’s head being turned by your mate at Widnes would have had a bigger adverse impact on those ‘bonds’. Prior to Kear being sacked, there wasn’t an issue with the new board or their ambitions. 

Edited by Roughyed Rats

7 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

It is likely the coach is under contract, if he has had permission to be approached by Widnes then a deal between the clubs will have had to be done. Unless there's a get out clause, which CH will know. If there isn't then maybe there's a fee forthcoming or a player transfer?

1 hour ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I think anyone reading your posting history will understand, as I’m sure you do.

All my previous posts have been based on my own experiences and observations. If you wish to interpret them as comments from 'a mate', that's up to you. However, I can assure you that, I have a mind of my own and always call the situations as I see them.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

All my previous posts have been based on my own experiences and observations. If you wish to interpret them as comments from 'a mate', that's up to you. However, I can assure you that, I have a mind of my own and always call the situations as I see them.  

Wow. Clearly hit a bit of a nerve there 🤣

Edited by Roughyed Rats

On 22/07/2023 at 11:00, RoughyedsFan_merged said:

As I've already mentioned, it doesn't worry the board. We already have our own plan in place that doesn't involve Littler.

Who is in the frame then?