Should Oldham follow Leigh's example and re-brand?

Oldham Valderama

On 13/08/2023 at 21:44, Dave Naylor said:

No matter how tacky I think it looks, it's  worked and the town of Leigh has got behind it. 

Is the success of Leigh due to the rebrand or actually putting a decent side on the pitch?

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

21 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Is the success of Leigh due to the rebrand or actually putting a decent side on the pitch?

I think its obvious that Leigh's success is mainly down to Derek Beaumont's open cheque book however it cant be denied that however good / bad / indifferent we all feel about the Leopards branding the town have embraced it and its been a commercial success. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I can't imagine there being a time when I'd wear leopard skin, but all those Leythers dressed like something off Madagascar have obviously bought into it all.

I suppose if Leigh had bombed this season though, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Oldham Valderama said:

I think its obvious that Leigh's success is mainly down to Derek Beaumont's open cheque book however it cant be denied that however good / bad / indifferent we all feel about the Leopards branding the town have embraced it and its been a commercial success. 

A trip to Wembley certainly helps sell merchandise.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

43 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

I can't imagine there being a time when I'd wear leopard skin, but all those Leythers dressed like something off Madagascar have obviously bought into it all.

I suppose if Leigh had bombed this season though, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I live in Atherton and the number of people wearing leopard skin makes it look like a Bet Lynch convention. Derek beaumont can often be seen driving his leopard print Lamborghini. A tacky way to ruin a fantastic car.🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I remember there being a discussion about a name change on here a while ago but there seems to be a lot more enthusiasm for it this time round. As an onlooker rather than a paying supporter I accept that my opinion doesn't count but for what it's worth I agree with those who think Bears (or other animals) are outdated, and I also think it's better to move forwards than back. Of the names suggested so far, Vulcans would be my preference. But as TimG suggested, maybe the younger generation could come up with something better so maybe ask your children and grandchildren. They may come up with something more fitting for the 21st century.

On 17/08/2023 at 13:27, Dave Naylor said:

Your prudish attitude to wearing leopard-skin puts paid to one of my wilder sexual fantasies, Dave,. Still, life goes on...

• Haha 2

There's a number of things that I will bang on about ad infinitum and yes and ad nauseum. One being the importance of Oldham in the history and development of Rugby League in the person of Joseph Platt, son of Oldham Father of Rugby League. The other is the use of Roughyeds as a name. It is unique, there's only one.

The criticism is generally the same "what is a Roughyed ?" And "you can't market a Roughyed". On the first point i say a Roughyed is whatever you want it to be, a bear, a lion, a Vulcan,anything. On the second point, what the uninitiated mean is  that you can't promote a Roughyed. I refer you to the first point.

Decide on something, something relatable and something that can be stocked on the shelves, on T shirts, on hats, bags and flags and then promote the hell out it. A few years ago we played in the cup on the BBC and the commentator said "Oldham Roughyeds, what a brilliant name for a rugby club". I totally agree, make a Roughyed something like bear, a chimera, a werechicken , anything but let's keep the name. 

Anyway, that's my view!

Oh by the way I don't like the lion.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Rugby League in the person of Joseph Platt,

Oldham Platters……..”Red sails in the sunset” 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjq8oKEzOaAAxWDCuwKHcPXC6oQsPgBegQIKxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJF-f9V6BTXU&usg=AOvVaw1e4HTjqGwkrt3oy_Vpwdvz&opi=89978449

Red sails in the sunset
Way out on the sea
Oh, carry my loved one 
Home safely to me

She sailed at the dawning 
All day I've been blue
Red sails in the sunset 
I'm trusting in you

Swift wings you must borrow
Make straight for the shore
We marry tomorrow
And she goes sailing no more

Red sails in the sunset 
Way out on the sea
Oh, carry my loved one 
Home safely to me

Red sails in the sunset
Way out on the sea (ooh-wee-ooh, wee-ooh)
Oh, carry my loved one
Home safely to me

Would worry about the vocals/lyrics with an Oldham twang and after a few pints (especially the voiced second line in the last verse)!