3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think my favourite Jets team era was definitely the team of the mid 80s with players like QB Ken O’Brien, RB Freeman McNeil and WR Al Toon.

They also had pro bowl defensive end Mark Gastineau.

It was definitely the best balanced Jets team in my lifetime, although of course Joe Namath lead a Super Bowl winning team previously.

Going back to that 1980s Jets team they were unlucky really to emerge at the same time as Dan Marino’s Dolphins and also the Patriots of that era.

Got me all misty -eyed. Those glory days. Gastineau and his New York Sack Exchange whose Indian like war dance after sacking the quarterback was banned. Sadly now suffers from dementia and  colon cancer. 

Ken O"Brien from the class of 84 when 6 quarterbacks were chosen in the first round. For me best quarterback the Jets have ever had. On those Glory Days listening to the games introduced by Marty Bonderoff on American Armed Forces Radio on a Sunday at 6pm waiting for the highlights on Channel 4 the next week. and if the Jets were playing on a Monday night tuning in at 2.am.

Can only speak for myself but I preferred the game back then teams were allowed to defend😀

Favourite game Jets 51 Marino's Dolphins 45 in o\t. 

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

5 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Got me all misty -eyed. Those glory days. Gastineau and his New York Sack Exchange whose Indian like war dance after sacking the quarterback was banned. Sadly now suffers from dementia and  colon cancer. 

Ken O"Brien from the class of 84 when 6 quarterbacks were chosen in the first round. For me best quarterback the Jets have ever had. On those Glory Days listening to the games introduced by Marty Bonderoff on American Armed Forces Radio on a Sunday at 6pm waiting for the highlights on Channel 4 the next week. and if the Jets were playing on a Monday night tuning in at 2.am.

Can only speak for myself but I preferred the game back then teams were allowed to defend😀

Favourite game Jets 51 Marino's Dolphins 45 in o\t. 

Yes, we used to just about be able to get scratchy AFN broadcasts of NFL games as well which me and my father would listen to in the kitchen to follow his Dolphins or my beloved Washington.

• Like 1

There is a saying in the NFL don't trust week one as it will make a liar out of you. The Bills are showing that to be true.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Well the Bears got a win! It was starting to look like my first and possibly last NFL game would be at a team who were 0-6.

Tbf they should've won last week but blew it big time against Denver. For a period in the 3rd/4th quarter it looked like it might happen again.

Has anybody been to one of the NFL London games?

I've got a mate who is a big NFL fan and was at Wembley last week and he was quite disappointed by it and said he probably wouldn't go again. I totally get it, as they often seem quite quiet affairs.

However, the one at Tottenham today looked a lot better. Of course I think the Bills made a big difference compared to the Falcons.

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've got a mate who is a big NFL fan and was at Wembley last week and he was quite disappointed by it and said he probably wouldn't go again. I totally get it, as they often seem quite quiet affairs.

However, the one at Tottenham today looked a lot better. Of course I think the Bills made a big difference compared to the Falcons.

Never fancied the London games until today, it sounded like a bills home game. The previous games sounded more like exhibition games. 

9 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I’ve been to a couple and it does lack the partizan nature of a home crowd in America usually as most people are neutrals.

i went to a Tampa Bay-Buffalo game in Florida in the 1980’s during the time of Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas et al.

The Bills fans had travelled in force too that day (many were in our hotel) and the atmosphere was fantastic minus any mindless hostility that I’d seen in football at that point.

The Buccaneers didn’t have a great team, but won the day thanks to a Vinny Testerverde quarterback sneak near the goal line.

19 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Was there in 2012 with a Patriot supporting colleague. Game was a rout as they defeated the Rams then in St.Louis 45-7. 

What I did notice is that the crowd stayed to the end as anyone who has been to a NFL game in America would tell you with that scoreline the place would have been empty long before the end  I have noticed that from the early days of listening on rhe AFN  American sdon't like one sided games 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Was there in 2012 with a Patriot supporting colleague. Game was a rout as they defeated the Rams then in St.Louis 45-7. 

What I did notice is that the crowd stayed to the end as anyone who has been to a NFL game in America would tell you with that scoreline the place would have been empty long before the end  I have noticed that from the early days of listening on rhe AFN  American sdon't like one sided games 

IIRC the earliest games weren't quick sellouts?

Now of course, they are hard to get tickets for which I find odd if the experience isn't that great. Surely there's only so many NFL fans amd casuals wanting to try the experience. As I said, I don't think my mate would go again unless it was at Tottenham and a big team.

On a similar note, I've seen a few things going around again about a possible London NFL club.

I've always been interested in whether it would work or not regardless of if I think it will, which I don't short-term at least.

I'm not 100% sure on the rules, but I suspect it'd need to be an existing franchise which makes the Jaguars or other ailing franchise most likely. This would be a problem because it would mean they'd likely not be tapping into an existing fan-base. If they were allowed to switch names, that would probably be better.

Then there is sustainability. I've little doubt for a season or two, they'd have no trouble selling out Tottenham. But over time, especially if they're not doing well? I'm not so sure. It was a long time ago, but the Monarchs soon went from 40k+ to 15k.

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

IIRC the earliest games weren't quick sellouts?

Now of course, they are hard to get tickets for which I find odd if the experience isn't that great. Surely there's only so many NFL fans amd casuals wanting to try the experience. As I said, I don't think my mate would go again unless it was at Tottenham and a big team.

Oddly, a good friend went to the Wembley game your friend was at and loved it. Very much planning to go again next year. He may even mention to me this time that he's going (ahem).

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

He is one  win short of 300 career wins. He has taken the Patriots to 9 Superbowls winning 6.  Will Bill Belichick remain as head coach of the Patriots. all season?

Now into his 72nd year he is not the man to rebuild the team.  Question is. Will he be sacked or does Mr Kraft find another position for him.

In other news he may not be playing but Aaron Rodgers has such an ego.

Aaron Rodgers challenges Travis Kelce to vaccine debate - NBC Sports

In their opening game against the Bills 11th September, Rodgers when introduced to the crowd ran onto the field carrying and American flag.

Mr Rodgers although never being publicly idiotic enough to come out and support "conspiracy"  nuts did mention it to team-mates whilst in the wilderness of Green Bay.

Just like in music respect them for their talent but that is all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bears will have an undrafted rookie at quarterback as Justin Fields has a thumb injury. Jimmy G also injured and will not be the quarterback for the Raiders.

37 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Bears will have an undrafted rookie at quarterback as Justin Fields has a thumb injury. Jimmy G also injured and will not be the quarterback for the Raiders.

I know, it's gonna be a classic 😂

On 10/10/2023 at 15:37, Maximus Decimus said:

I suspect it'd need to be an existing franchise which makes the Jaguars or other ailing franchise most likely.

I don't think it will be the Jags, as they're supposedly building a new billion dollar plus stadium in Jacksonville. Will be interesting to see if they bother coming to London once that's built (except as part of the normal rotation of teams to London).

22 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

So my first and maybe only ever NFL game is this weekend

I thought maybe it was one of the European games you were going to, but I see that it's at Soldier Field, Chicago, so that's very cool. I hope you have a great time.

The Bears might sneak a win in this one, but I can't see them doing the Superbowl shuffle this year!

8 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Went to Jags v Bills in 2016(?).

I'm pleased to have done it, but I didn't come away with any desperation to go again. Not saying I wouldn't, but I'm quite happy just watching on TV.

I was just talking to my mate, who said something similar. He said one thing that struck him was the number of people who basically had no clue what was going on but had gone for the experience.

I'm just surprised there are that many people like this that they easily sell out multiple games a year with high demand. You'd think that once the novelty wore off, they struggle to sell for some of the lesser teams.

8 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I thought maybe it was one of the European games you were going to, but I see that it's at Soldier Field, Chicago, so that's very cool. I hope you have a great time.

The Bears might sneak a win in this one, but I can't see them doing the Superbowl shuffle this year!

Haha, if the Bears win I'll be happy. Hoping the place would be rocking with a first win in 390 odd days!

• Like 1

On 19/10/2023 at 22:03, Maximus Decimus said:

1-5 Chiacgo Bears in a game tipped to be one for the purists.

As a Cub fan, I get the edges of Bears fandom on my various timelines.

It is very redolent of supporting an English RL team that you know is going to hurt you but you go along anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was just talking to my mate, who said something similar. He said one thing that struck him was the number of people who basically had no clue what was going on but had gone for the experience.

I think most people there do have some interest in the NFL and a basic understanding of the rules of the sport. Enough to know what they're watching. I think if you genuinely didn't know anything about what was happening in front of you, it would become boring very quickly.

Maximus becomes the good luck charm of the Bears as they easily defeat the Raiders.  Looking forward to his report.

In other news Bill Belichick gets his 300th career win against the Bills. Our Patriots fan DeeDeuce didn't have the faith to stick with them this week.

Finally,Detroit look more like the Detroit we are used to as they are routed by Baltimore. Before anyone thinks about writing them off they do not play another team with winning record until New Year's Eve when they face the Cowboys.