3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's not though. Nor is basketball where it is accepted that the final minute of the match can take half an hour to get through. Clock management is built into both.

Whether you like that or not is irrelevant - that's how the game is constructed and how the tactics around it are built.

Well, it sort of is. A match has 4 quarters of 15 which add up to 60. They may have many time outs, and various breaks throughout that make it longer, but the match itself is supposed to be 60m. 

I have no real idea of basketball, I haven't watched it live/on tv for about 10 years.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-new-uniforms-april-2024

New kit.... same shxte  on the field probably.

Mecole Hardman, who caught the winning touchdown was traded from the Jets were his  stats one catch for 6 yards. As Peter King wrote in his column traded back to the Chiefs for a bag of footballs

In the words of Billy Joel "I can't take it anymore "

As i say when young Sinnott gets drafted my allegiance shifts to that team.

Edited by Irish Saint

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

In Nevada five wagers of over 1million dollars were placed on the game. 2 on the Chiefs and 3 on the 49ers. 

In total Nevada Sports Books took 185.6 million dollars in bets on the game with bettors losing 6.8million.

That puts my tenner on the49ers\Bills final in perspective.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

4 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Whats going on ? as I didn't get to see the game as going watch it in hours parts from tonight.

Just seen what happend...I think this whole Taylor Swift thing has got to this prats head....very unacceptable.

3 hours ago, Click said:

Well, it sort of is. A match has 4 quarters of 15 which add up to 60. They may have many time outs, and various breaks throughout that make it longer, but the match itself is supposed to be 60m. 

I have no real idea of basketball, I haven't watched it live/on tv for about 10 years.

Does an 80 minute rugby match take 80 minutes?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

In Nevada five wagers of over 1million dollars were placed on the game. 2 on the Chiefs and 3 on the 49ers. 

In total Nevada Sports Books took 185.6 million dollars in bets on the game with bettors losing 6.8million.

That puts my tenner on the49ers\Bills final in perspective.

The news on CBS said that 19% of Americans had bet on the game, which is shocking to me, considering it was basically illegal before 2018 and still is in about a third of the states.

46 minutes ago, JonM said:

The news on CBS said that 19% of Americans had bet on the game, which is shocking to me, considering it was basically illegal before 2018 and still is in about a third of the states

There is a show on the NFL network starts at 7a.m. ET everyday. Over here shown on Sky at mid-day. Everyday they advertise Draft Kings a betting agency associated with the NFL. The presenters of the show promoting the agency with bet 10 dollars and get 200dollars in free bets . This advertisement also showh during NFL games. Is it any wonder gambling on the sport is on the increase.

10 hours ago, JonM said:

The news on CBS said that 19% of Americans had bet on the game, which is shocking to me, considering it was basically illegal before 2018 and still is in about a third of the states.

It'll be lower now but I wonder what percentage of the UK had a bet on the Grand National back in the day versus how many had regular bets away from that.

Being America, the states that have allowed betting haven't just allowed betting they seem to have allowed a completely unregulated free for all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Does an 80 minute rugby match take 80 minutes?

It usually lasts 80 minutes + 15/20 minute half time and then added time for injuries. 

It is certainly closer to 80 minutes than 4 hours.

21 minutes ago, Click said:

It usually lasts 80 minutes + 15/20 minute half time and then added time for injuries. 

It is certainly closer to 80 minutes than 4 hours.

But not 80 minutes.

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But not 80 minutes.

I am not sure how you can compare going from 80 minutes to perhaps 100 or 110 minutes to the NFL's 60 minutes going  to 240 minutes.

The difference is quite obvious

3 minutes ago, Click said:

I am not sure how you can compare going from 80 minutes to perhaps 100 or 110 minutes to the NFL's 60 minutes going  to 240 minutes.

The difference is quite obvious

Time outs and stopping the clock are built into the game. They are fundamental to the tactics of the game and how it is played.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

• Like 2

I think the cure for those who require constant action from the NFL is to watch NFL Redzone.

There are no advertising breaks, just hours of constant live action being cut together from the various early and then late games on a Sunday.

It’s very well produced and can become very exciting when multiple games are close at the end.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Time outs and stopping the clock are built into the game. They are fundamental to the tactics of the game and how it is played.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

The game has evolved over the years to include more breaks for things like commercials. 

I am not sure why I am not allowed to have an opinion on a game being a lot longer than it should be, just because you think it is how it is designed to be done.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think the cure for those who require constant action from the NFL is to watch NFL Redzone.

There are no advertising breaks, just hours of constant live action being cut together from the various early and then late games on a Sunday.

It’s very well produced and can become very exciting when multiple games are close at the end.

Last Sunday's Superbowl was the 7th longest game in NFL history. If advertisers want to pay big bucks to advertise particularly during the opening quarter  TV audience allegedly 120m plus then the NFL will grab it with both hands.

Now with every Super League game being shown how about a  RL Redzone on Sky every Friday night. One could just imagine it or perhaps best not. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2024 at 11:09, Gerrumonside ref said:

I've said for a while if Soccer Saturday was like NFL Redzone, it'd be the most watched programme on TV. If one team was pressing for a winner, they could just go to the game and watch etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I've said for a while if Soccer Saturday was like NFL Redzone, it'd be the most watched programme on TV. If one team was pressing for a winner, they could just go to the game and watch etc.

I don't think NFL Redzone really works with any other sport other than NFL, there are so many breaks that they can actively switch between matches without missing anything. If you switched between matches on other sports you would most likely miss a key moment, etc.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2024 at 11:17, Click said:

The game has evolved over the years to include more breaks for things like commercials. 

I am not sure why I am not allowed to have an opinion on a game being a lot longer than it should be, just because you think it is how it is designed to be done.

I don't think it's about having an opinion, it's about the fact that you seem to genuinely misunderstand how the clock functions in the NFL, and how it is fundamentally different to British-based sports.

If they did away with all adverts the game would still probably be over 2 hours. That's because the clock isn't meant to be a continuous clock. There are times when it runs and times when it doesn't. This is on purpose and key to the tactics of the game. I actually enjoy it, especially when I've played NFL based video games. Clock management is incredibly important.

It would be a mistake to think this all because of adverts, and was in fact more to do about controlling time-wasting between plays.

Nobody on here is going to argue against the idea that it goes on too long, and ad breaks are frustrating but the idea that NFL is a 60-minute game dragged out to 3 hours misunderstands the purpose of the play-clock. For me it's about expectations, and when I went to the NFL it was almost no issue at all. 

• Like 4

Not enjoying egg chasing sport as the moment after the Cas game tonight, the most of the RWC 2023 games and so I thought I give the NFL a try again (even watched the CFL final) but all was good apart from the hype of Travis Kelce and Talour Swift and on top of that the way Kelce went on like a to his coach at Super Bowl and now just seeing this cringe moment.

https://youtu.be/0Z8DLY0Epss?si=OeOhDp2rNWCUh7ZL

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching a discussion on Pro Football Talk on Sky about the combine and upcoming NFL draft.

Big emphasis on the top two picks (elite college quarterbacks) heading most likely to Chicago and New England.

Looks like my Washington Commanders who need a QB are going to pick a bit of a gamble whatever now at that vital position.

Ah the draft, in 2017 Chicago traded up to number 2 to get Mitchell Trubisky when they could have selected one P.Mahomes who went 7 in the draft.

Then in 2021 they traded up again to get Justin Fields.

Perhaps they will get it right this time.

In other news the kick-offs . NFL are looking at bringing in how the XFL do their kick -offs to ensure the kick- off return  does not become extinct.  Appropiate, as the best kick returner has recently been selected to go into the hall of fame this year. 24 teams are needed  to vote for this change for it to be introduced. 

Edited by Irish Saint

13 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Ah the draft, in 2017 Chicago traded up to number 2 to get Mitchell Trubisky when they could have selected one P.Mahomes who went 7 in the draft.

Then in 2021 they traded up again to get Justin Fields.

Perhaps they will get it right this time.

In other news the kick-offs . NFL are looking at bringing in how the XFL do their kick -offs to ensure the kick- off return  does not become extinct.  Appropiate, as the best kick returner has recently been selected to go into the hall of fame this year. 24 teams are needed  to vote for this change for it to be introduced. 

I’ve not watching spring football for a while how do XFL do their kickoffs in comparison?

Agree about the Bears and I think after their strong finish last year they could do something in the NFC next year.

Just to add to the Mahomes story, Washington missed out on him by a single pick apparently which was cost by a meaningless end of season win over Miami pushing us down the draft order.

Apart from the kicker and the returner the other 20 players stand 5 yards apart and they cannot move until the receiver collects the ball. This lessons the chance of serious injury on the return. If the ball is kicked dead then the receiving team start on their 35 and not 25 as in the NFL.

• Like 1

Just checked my friend's nephew stats at the combine that was held in  Indy good luck to the lad. 

NFL history is full of college stars who just didn' t cut it in the NFL. Whereas some un drafted kids or kids from small colleges hit the jackpot.

Off-season  news 49ers sacked their defensive coach the Wednesday after the Superbowl  lasted just one season. Gets them to the superbowl but not enough.  If only their kicker had made that extra point. 

FWIW I think head  coach  Shanahan is the new Marv Levy tho not as nice a person as Levy.

Edited by Irish Saint
  • Like 1