On 02/03/2024 at 09:04, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve not watching spring football for a while how do XFL do their kickoffs in comparison?

Agree about the Bears and I think after their strong finish last year they could do something in the NFC next year.

Just to add to the Mahomes story, Washington missed out on him by a single pick apparently which was cost by a meaningless end of season win over Miami pushing us down the draft order.

I think Fields deserves another go off the back of a decent second half of the season. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I think Fields deserves another go off the back of a decent second half of the season. 

I agree he does but the tea leaves in America (coffee beans surely?) seem to be saying that they’ll take a quarterback just because it’s a Mahomes type prospect.

Quite interesting to see how they handle this.

13 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Fields did pretty well considering the absolute garbage he's working with most of the time.

But it is not the Bears way to address that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Good Morning Football.

This was a show i picked up whilst working from home. Shown from Midday to Three live from New York on Sky.

A very informative show for any fan of the game. Obviously couldn't watch all three hours every day but would dip in and out most days.

Yesterday, news broke that show would cease on 29th March as moving to LA.

Tuned in this morning for official confirmation but Kyle Brandt wasn't giving much away except it was going to LA

Kyle Brandt's "Angry Runs " segment some of the best entertainment on television. I've even got an "Angry Runs"  t-shirt.

Hope they all stick together.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/03/07/dead-kansas-city-chiefs-fans-autopsy-pending/72868061007/

I've been following this one since it happened . All sorts of theories beginning to emerge on various Internet sites. Only in America.

• Like 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

• 2 weeks later...

Some off season quarterback moves. Pittsburgh who have never had a losing under Mike Tomlin have signed Russell Wilson from the Broncos and Justin Fields from Chicago both on one year contracts. Former Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett has been traded to Philadelphia .

Other news The other Kelce Jason who was at Philadelphia has retired.  Aaron Donald at the Rams has also retired

6 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Some off season quarterback moves. Pittsburgh who have never had a losing under Mike Tomlin have signed Russell Wilson from the Broncos and Justin Fields from Chicago both on one year contracts. Former Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett has been traded to Philadelphia .

Other news The other Kelce Jason who was at Philadelphia has retired.  Aaron Donald at the Rams has also retired

Shrewd move by the Steelers I think.

If Russell Wilson turns out to be a ‘has-been’ in Pittsburgh then Fields (based on the form from the end of last year at the Bears) can step up.

They’ve not given up too much in terms of the draft either - it's a 6th round pick going up to 4th round based on appearances for the Steelers.

Chicago meanwhile are all in on the draft this year and QB Caleb Williams who is this year’s outstanding prospect at that position.

Think they were always going draft him anyway with the first overall pick, but he really has to work out straight away.

Washington too have moved on last year’s starting QB (Sam Howell to the Seahawks) and they too will be looking to spend their 1st pick on a quarterback now.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Forgot to add Kirk Cousins moves to Atlanta from Minnesota. Kirk had come to the end of his contract at Minnesota and was a free agent.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot being made in the British media about the Welsh RU lad being signed by the Chiefs.

I know nothing about him, but find it hard to believe he'll make it. After all, I feel like we've been here before with Hayne who, as the top NRL player, you'd have to expect was a more elite athlete. He actually played an NFL game, before spending the rest of the season on the practice squad. He was actually recalled into the 53 but quit when he had to learn a new playback.

There was also another Union guy who impressed pre-season before not making it.

To my knowledge, any international successes have been kickers and younger men who were able to go to college first. Never say never, but it's hard to believe that at such an elite level somebody can come from a foreign sport and do better than the best that already exist who know things by instinct that they would have to learn.

23 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There's a lot being made in the British media about the Welsh RU lad being signed by the Chiefs.

I know nothing about him, but find it hard to believe he'll make it. After all, I feel like we've been here before with Hayne who, as the top NRL player, you'd have to expect was a more elite athlete. He actually played an NFL game, before spending the rest of the season on the practice squad. He was actually recalled into the 53 but quit when he had to learn a new playback.

There was also another Union guy who impressed pre-season before not making it.

To my knowledge, any international successes have been kickers and younger men who were able to go to college first. Never say never, but it's hard to believe that at such an elite level somebody can come from a foreign sport and do better than the best that already exist who know things by instinct that they would have to learn.

I’ve read contrasting verdicts about how he performed in comparison to others in the combine, but I hope he can make it.

His most realistic goal is a practice squad place at this point.

A big adjustment for him will be playing with a helmet then dealing with reduced field of vision and meeting the modern demands of timing patterns even if he can live with the competition in terms of power and speed.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

If anyone has the time they can follow the hopes and dreams of international players trying to break into the NFL this year.There is a series of programmes called "The Pahway" on YouTube.

In othe news Jimmy G has gone back to the West Coast this time to the Rams.

I'm pleased to say the NFL will be introducing the now defunct XFL kick off return as 29 teams voted in favour.The kick off return was on the verge of becoming extinct  in the NFL.

Edited by Irish Saint
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...