The 2024 Squad

Crown Flatter

On 19/11/2023 at 11:05, STEVE P said:

Fergie's new signings seem to be youngsters of known ability who have yet to find their niche in the game. In going that route he is backing his own ability as a coach. Good for him. 

I prefer this to looking for players at the other end of their career who need a step down. Not counting the one we already have  of course. He gives his all to the club.

The squad is looking promising. Can't wait to see the rest of it.

Sounds like Moneyball strategy they did in baseball. Having a strong captain will be important with a lot of young players 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2023 at 16:50, NickD said:

Bailey O'Connor  &  Ollie Greensmith gotta be favourites for me.....

If I was Fergie I'd be tempted to try and talk Ollie Greensmith into having a go in the second row. He has a very direct approach based on powerful running, and there's nothing wrong with having a couple of forwards in the pack who can handle the ball. 

• Like 1

I tend to agree. Now that Fergie has retired, there’s nobody in the pack with that blockbusting havoc creating running like him, so perhaps Greensmith might just be the answer.

Edited by Crown Flatter
Legs, Dews, Legs.

6 hours ago, STEVE P said:

If I was Fergie I'd be tempted to try and talk Ollie Greensmith into having a go in the second row. He has a very direct approach based on powerful running, and there's nothing wrong with having a couple of forwards in the pack who can handle the ball. 

Forwards don't simply need to be strong going forwards, even if that is all that fans tend to notice.

Just saying.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Forwards don't simply need to be strong going forwards, even if that is all that fans tend to notice.

Just saying.

Agree, but I've also noted Ollie's defence.

Having a try out up front wouldn't preclude him from reverting to the centre if nothing came of it. 

The two positions centre and second row are totally different propositions. A good second rower generally requires a good engine, positional awareness, tough strong defensive capabilities, communication skills, good go forward. Other desirable attributes such as speed, athletic ability, handling etc. Centre is also a difficult position and IMO requires most of what I have just described apart from a good engine. Last season ( yes League 1) our back rowers were capable and did the full eighty minutes. This allowed Finny to rotate other positions such as prop. A centre can often leave the field after eighty minutes feeling pretty refreshed. A back rower should be feeling k- - - - - d.

• Like 2