Expansion

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's called being TV-friendly and enabling one's broadcast partners to make money from broadcasting the league.

Exciting times ahead. I’ve all on getting out for a couple of hours never mind 4/5

• Haha 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Are you saying that the franchised NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, NRL and AFL where when new franchises are admitted it's based on a business case are not sport then?  If they're not sport, just how are they attracting millions of sports fans??

Main reason it works in America is because the sports you mention are loved nation wide and not in a small pocket like our sport

11 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Main reason it works in America is because the sports you mention are loved nation wide and not in a small pocket like our sport

No, it's because it makes investment in pro sports franchises profitable for their owners by giving them a stable operating environment.

That's enabled MLS to raise their expansion franchise fee from the 10 million US $ Toronto FC paid whem they were admitted years ago up to the 500 million US $ paid for the new franchise in San Diego.

Just now, Big Picture said:

No, it's because it makes investment in pro sports franchises profitable for their owners by giving them a stable operating environment.

That's enabled MLS to raise their expansion franchise fee from the 10 million US $ Toronto FC paid whem they were admitted years ago up to the 500 million US $ paid for the new franchise in San Diego.

Not being funny but comparing American sports to football is bad so comparing multi billion dollar sports to RL Is like asking for 1m loan and only paying a pound back 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Not being funny but comparing American sports to football is bad so comparing multi billion dollar sports to RL Is like asking for 1m loan and only paying a pound back 🤣🤣

The franchise model works for minor league franchises as well.  Every few years the business publication Forbes publishes evaluations of what minor league baseball franchises are worth and they're always higher than the time before.

If those values have continued to appreciate after the last such evaluation at the same rate as before it, the most valuable of those minor league franchises is worth 75 million US $ now.

Edited by Big Picture

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You’re comparing sport that’s watched by millions compared to rl watched by thousands. If only they found rl as a sport eh!

Just now, Big Picture said:

The franchise model works for minor league franchises as well.  Every few years the business publication Forbes publishes evaluations of what minor league baseball franchises are worth and they're always higher than the time before.

If those values have continued to appreciate after the last such valuation at the same rate as before it, the most of those minor league franchises is worth 75 million US $ now.

I get your point mate but only sport I know in this country that uses a franchise system is rugby union and look what state their in, I’m not saying it will work or won’t,  but just think the markets are massively different us and USA. 

Point is I wouldn’t watch American football baseball or basketball if it was played in my back garden. Same applies in rugby league. If there’s no demand which there isn’t it won’t work 

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Point is I wouldn’t watch American football baseball or basketball if it was played in my back garden. Same applies in rugby league. If there’s no demand which there isn’t it won’t work 

Demand can be created if one has the right approach and the means implement it.  The NFL's London series proves that, and Toronto showed that it can be done for this sport too.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DEANO said:

I would have maybe said the same until I got taken to my first baseball game. Now I'm hooked. There's nothing wrong with RL on the field. If enough people can be persuaded to sample it, there's got to be a chance of growing the support. 

1 minute ago, meast said:

And fail again?

Despite outspending every other club again?

Not so sure.

I’ve no idea but they’ve gone for it for last 5 years or more so why would next season be any different, but as an aside the more important question I’d be asking is why we could potentially lose money men from our sport. 

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but South Wales if done right would work.

There are thousands of rugby mad fans who stand in the cold, rain and sleet to watch a game each winter down here. League has a USP, its an exciting summer game, a warm summers evening watch the game with a pint in hand is a much easier sell! 

The product was lacking with the teams that have tried and failed here, nothing against them I went to quite a few games myself but bring your mates to watch the team getting battered wasn't a fun day out. The Crusaders came very close because they got to the SL and brought teams people down here had heard of to town. 

It would need vision, support and money to get it off the ground, something the RFL has failed to muster in this part of the world.

I don't thing RL is in the best of health to expand, having London back in the SL will get a few more people interested I'm sure though.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Lad said:

Given the recent withdrawal of London and Newcastle is there any hope for expansion?

London Skolars, Gloucestershire, Hemel Stags, Oxford, Midlands Hurricanes, Toronto Wolfpack, Newcastle Thunder, PSG, London Broncos. All failed to deliver, most folding.

Is it time we give up on growing our sport out of the heartlands or is there still a type of expansion out there that will work?.

What planet did you say that you are writing from?

• Like 1