Sat 4th Nov: Third Test: England v Tonga KO 2.30pm @ Headingley (BBC One)

Who will win?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 1 to 6 points
    • Tonga by 7 to 12 points
    • Tonga by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/23 at 15:00

3 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

I’m sure you’ve never met Welsby let alone been in a change room with him so it’s pretty unfair to comment whether someone should be captain or not. 

Also I thought Williams had a really solid game, He made the most tackles with 0 Misses in the England side (29).  Ran the football pretty well, obviously he didn’t blow the roof off but not a bad performance by any means as he was absolutely superb in defence.

You are quite right, I have never met the young fella, or brushed shoulders in the changing room but I do have the right to an opinion, and I'm quite happy for folk to disagree and and create a constructive debate. However, I do know a little bit about leadership and I do know that, from what I witnessed, his immaturity and petulance were clearly displayed. I do not disagree that he is a wonderfully talented and gifted player and one day he may make a good leader. But not yet.

As for GW, do we really want our creative players to be heading the tackle count? I'd much prefer to see him taking on the line and bossing the offensive aspect of the game. That's pretty much the duty of  the halves!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, i agree - I should’ve rephrased ‘pack’ to middle.

It makes sense as you cannot have superstars all over the team.  He chases down, put his body on the line, gives everything right up to interchange and seems totally committed.  That is, to me, giving 100%.

I think all of those qualities are basic requirements of anyone they select. Total commitment should be expected of anyone selected, and I'm not questioning Lees on that front. I am questioning his lack of size, power and impact at this level.

Who knows, he could potentially develop into a Reuben Cotter style middle forward who makes an impact through speed and tenacity, but I haven't seen that in him yet either.

I do like Matty lees work rate but it was evident he wasn't big enough vs Tonga in some carries (but who is - they were massive!!) His defence seemed very solid (but i haven't studied the stats)

Lees has similar height and weight to Elliot Whitehead and John Bateman - could second row be an option now Whitehead has retired? 

15 hours ago, CiderWire said:

As for GW, do we really want our creative players to be heading the tackle count? I'd much prefer to see him taking on the line and bossing the offensive aspect of the game. That's pretty much the duty of  the halves!

No, but if the opposition's big men are running at our creative players, I'd rather they make the tackles than not.

If Williams is having to make 29 tackles, I see that as a failing of the forwards who are there to protect him, not a mistake by Williams.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 07/11/2023 at 04:09, ghost crayfish said:

I think all of those qualities are basic requirements of anyone they select. Total commitment should be expected of anyone selected, and I'm not questioning Lees on that front. I am questioning his lack of size, power and impact at this level.

Who knows, he could potentially develop into a Reuben Cotter style middle forward who makes an impact through speed and tenacity, but I haven't seen that in him yet either.

Cotter's size was an issue against NZ in the last test.....he got bounced off at least 3 times from bigger forwards