NRL Imports 2024

Looking at - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/live-blog/12196/12985934/super-league-transfer-ins-and-outs-for-all-12-clubs-ahead-of-the-2024-season

Most SL clubs seem to have brought in at least one player from an NRL or in some cases e.g . Queensland Cup team.  I don’t really follow the NRL closely enough to be familiar with these signed players.

Does anyone have any view on whether any of these players are

- Really good and perhaps surprised they have come to SL

- Have a lot of potential to be the next e.g Field or Croft

- Or not rated by any particular poster - happy to hear that too

Look forward to any insight.

Castleford: Sylvester Namo and Nixon Putt are PNG internationals.

Catalans: Jayden is Kodi Nikorima's brother, and served a substance-related ban - might have something to prove, might have an attitude problem. Tariq Sims is one of the Fijian Sims family (Ashton, Ruan etc.) - a tough guy, but getting on a bit.

Hull FC: Fa'amanu Brown should be a good signing. Jayden Okunbor might be.

Hull KR: Peta Hiku's getting on a bit, but still decent.

Leeds: Lachie Miller might be one to watch. A RU Sevens convert and something of a late developer.

Warrington: Lachlan Fitzgibbon looks to be the pick of their imports. Rodrick Tai's another Kumul.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Interesting that there does not seem to be many exciting players coming from NRL.  For better or worse we used to have someone like e.g Barba, Sezer, Austin, Hurrell, Taukeiaho arriving from the NRL each year.

Do you think part of this is the effect of the Dolphins expansion team - more NRL jobs created so even less incentive to travel to Europe?

Edited by Coastal_Geordie

Herman ese'esse is a decent player I adopted the dolphins this year as I went booth feet into watching NRL.

Solid put in some good games, sadly he doesn't seem to hang around long already been with about 5-6 teams not even 30.

Lachlan miller is harder to rate. Stats say hardly plays but what I've seen this year he is dangerous ball in hand when it suits. Guess it depends what side of the bed he gets out of

• Like 1

Just now, Coastal_Geordie said:

Interesting that there does not seem to be many stars coming from NRL.  For better or worse we used to have someone like e.g Barba, Sezer, Austin, Hurrell, Taukeiaho arriving from the NRL each year.

Do you think part of this is the effect of the Dolphins expansion team - more NRL jobs created so even less incentive to travel to Europe?

Quite often the best signings from Down Under have been the unsung, hardworking team players, rather than the ones who are already big names/egos. And that's before we delve into Barba's off-field activities.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Herman ese'esse is a decent player I adopted the dolphins this year as I went booth feet into watching NRL.

Solid put in some good games, sadly he doesn't seem to hang around long already been with about 5-6 teams not even 30.

Lachlan miller is harder to rate. Stats say hardly plays but what I've seen this year he is dangerous ball in hand when it suits. Guess it depends what side of the bed he gets out of

I didn't spot Ese-ese. He's a big hard worker.

Lachie Miller is 29, but didn't even play international RU Sevens 'til 2020, which is unusual. I'll be interested to see what he does with regular game time.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Quite often the best signings from Down Under have been the unsung, hardworking team players, rather than the ones who are already big names/egos. And that's before we delve into Barba's off-field activities.

Agree and I’ve enjoyed the likes of Rangi Chase, Jackson Hastings, Lachlan Coote, Jay Field and Brodie Croft in SL who it’s probably fair to say weren’t stars for different reasons in the NRL before coming to SL.

Lachlan Fitzgibbon and Lachie Miller are the picks for me.

Fitzgibbon is a quality edge forward and will add real value to Warrington while Miller is an exciting running full back who will do well over here.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

I remember him starting like a rocket this season but seemed to drop off the radar after 8-9 games

He certainly fell away after a great start to the year.

He isn't a modern full back with a strong passing game but he has a very good running game and I am really looking forward to seeing him play.

It could go either way as he seems to be a player who needs confidence but I am tipping him to succeed.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

He certainly fell away after a great start to the year.

He isn't a modern full back with a strong passing game but he has a very good running game and I am really looking forward to seeing him play.

It could go either way as he seems to be a player who needs confidence but I am tipping him to succeed.

Now this will not be popular although true. SL is a step down from NRL so I'm guessing he will shine also his age means he probably won't ever get back to the NRL so Leeds could tie him in for 5-6 years. If he can put up with the weather 

6 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Now this will not be popular although true. SL is a step down from NRL so I'm guessing he will shine also his age means he probably won't ever get back to the NRL so Leeds could tie him in for 5-6 years. If he can put up with the weather 

Possibly he could shine, he is a really talented carrier of the football and if any team gives him space off the kick return I could see him having a long highlight reel. Something else worth mentioning about Lachie Miller is that he was 2ND in the whole NRL for average tackle breaks this year which is truly remarkable. I reckon he would be starting at FB for most NRL sides but he had KP to contend with at the knights so it was unfortunate.

Hopefully this opportunity at Leeds gives him a chance to shine, he is a superbly talented footballer and given the opportunity he could shine.

6 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

I remember him starting like a rocket this season but seemed to drop off the radar after 8-9 games

Wouldn’t say he dropped of the radar just that Kalyn Ponga came back from injury and there is only a few fullbacks in the game as good as Ponga. Probably Welsby, Tedesco and Edwards.

I do agree that the Super League is a massive step down from the NRL. But the NRL do provide good quality of players to this competition.  

I just question do they provide too many players?  Each club I believe, are allowed 7 quota spots.  That's 84 Players that are not home grown in our competition.  I do feel we lose too many youngsters because of this.  

But hey what do I know?  

2 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Possibly he could shine, he is a really talented carrier of the football and if any team gives him space off the kick return I could see him having a long highlight reel. Something else worth mentioning about Lachie Miller is that he was 2ND in the whole NRL for average tackle breaks this year which is truly remarkable. I reckon he would be starting at FB for most NRL sides but he had KP to contend with at the knights so it was unfortunate.

Hopefully this opportunity at Leeds gives him a chance to shine, he is a superbly talented footballer and given the opportunity he could shine.

A bit of stretch to suggest Lachie Miller would be the starting FB for ‘most’ NRL teams (he wouldn’t be playing in SL if that was the case!).

The only teams I could see a clear argument for Miller starting for at FB would be the Dragons (Tyrell Sloan) the Canberra Raiders (who knows who’s the starting FB is in 24) & the Bulldogs (I’m personally not a huge fan of Crichton at FB).

I still think it’s a great signing for Leeds as it wouldn’t shock me if he potentially contends for the Man Of Steel award if things go his way and Leeds have a good year.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AB90 said:

A bit of stretch to suggest Lachie Miller would be the starting FB for ‘most’ NRL teams (he wouldn’t be playing in SL if that was the case!).

The only teams I could see a clear argument for Miller starting for at FB would be the Dragons (Tyrell Sloan) the Canberra Raiders (who knows who’s the starting FB is in 24) & the Bulldogs (I’m personally not a huge fan of Crichton at FB).

I still think it’s a great signing for Leeds as it wouldn’t shock me if he potentially contends for the Man Of Steel award if things go his way and Leeds have a good year.

I'm quite confused by your comment mate. On one hand, you say he wouldn't start for most NRL teams and then you say he may contend for Man of Steel 😂. Make up your mind, If any player is competing for Man of Steel they are also a top player in the NRL. You are overstating the gap between NRL and SL far too much my friend.

Like i mentioned Lachie Miller is a superb player, one of only 2 players in the whole competition to averages more than 7 tackles breaks a game, He is an excellent runner of the football and very rapid. Most NRL Clubs would be delighted to have him and he would start for most clubs.

You're making it out as if the Super League is a second-tier comp and that Miller would've 100% in the NRL if given the opportunity, which is just not remotely true.

I've heard a lot of people like you just disrespecting the Super League and it is totally not warranted. The Super League is superb competition contrary to the media's biased opinion, though it does not have as many fans and as much money as the NRL the top talent is still world-class. I admit the NRL is a faster game and there is more depth in quality but the Super League is still a top comp and firmly up there with the NRL. The gap between the 2 leagues is vastly overstated in reality my opinion and many people on here agree is that the NRL and Super League is about the same difference in quality as the Premier League and Serie A. 

This is coming from an Aussie as well if that helps persuade you even more. I only started watching the SL a few seasons ago after believing it was second-grade comp too, but after a lot of analysis, I came to the conclusion that that is not remotely true and the gap is often skewed by NRL Pundits and jouranlists in order to make the competition look like the only Tier competition in the world. The NRL wants to mirror American sports in which there are only one top competition in the world, and they are doing a good job of lying to people unfortunately.

43 minutes ago, Coco said:

I do agree that the Super League is a massive step down from the NRL. But the NRL do provide good quality of players to this competition.  

I just question do they provide too many players?  Each club I believe, are allowed 7 quota spots.  That's 84 Players that are not home grown in our competition.  I do feel we lose too many youngsters because of this.  

But hey what do I know?  

Not a "Massive step down", both top first grade leagues and though there is a difference in quality, money, and viewership the super league is still a superb comp and the gap is not at all massive.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

I think this is fair.

Miller has some real strengths to his game, he is a very good runner of the ball and, as has been mentioned, a prolific tackle buster.

But he is not the type of full back in fashion in the NRL with the full back a key ball handling attacking threat in the line.

I would rate Miller as good as some NRL starters in 2024 but not ahead of most as it is the real position of strength in the NRL.

If Leeds can develop a style that suits Miller's game he could have a very good year.  My main worry is that both Miller and Brodie Croft's main strengths are running and if 2 of the spine positions are more running threats it puts a lot of responsibility on the creativity in the other positions.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I'm quite confused by your comment mate. On one hand, you say he wouldn't start for most NRL teams and then you say he may contend for Man of Steel 😂. Make up your mind, If any player is competing for Man of Steel they are also a top player in the NRL. You are overstating the gap between NRL and SL far too much my friend.

Like i mentioned Lachie Miller is a superb player, one of only 2 players in the whole competition to averages more than 7 tackles breaks a game, He is an excellent runner of the football and very rapid. Most NRL Clubs would be delighted to have him and he would start for most clubs.

You're making it out as if the Super League is a second-tier comp and that Miller would've 100% in the NRL if given the opportunity, which is just not remotely true.

I've heard a lot of people like you just disrespecting the Super League and it is totally not warranted. The Super League is superb competition contrary to the media's biased opinion, though it does not have as many fans and as much money as the NRL the top talent is still world-class. I admit the NRL is a faster game and there is more depth in quality but the Super League is still a top comp and firmly up there with the NRL. The gap between the 2 leagues is vastly overstated in reality my opinion and many people on here agree is that the NRL and Super League is about the same difference in quality as the Premier League and Serie A. 

This is coming from an Aussie as well if that helps persuade you even more. I only started watching the SL a few seasons ago after believing it was second-grade comp too, but after a lot of analysis, I came to the conclusion that that is not remotely true and the gap is often skewed by NRL Pundits and jouranlists in order to make the competition look like the only Tier competition in the world. The NRL wants to mirror American sports in which there are only one top competition in the world, and they are doing a good job of lying to people unfortunately.

Yes, Lachie Miller wouldn’t start for most teams. I’ll put it to you, do you think if he played for the same team as the below full backs he would be starting over any of them (that’s 9 out of 17 starting full backs which equals ‘most’):

James Tedesco, Kalyn Ponga, Reece Walsh, Dylan Edwards, Latrell Mitchell, Tom Trbojevic, The Hammer, Ryan Papenhauzen, Charnz Nicoll-Klokstad

We can keep going further down the pecking order if you like:

Scott Drinkerwater, Clint Gutherson, William Kennedy, Jehreame Bula, AJ Brimson, Stephen Crichton 

Thats 15 out of the 17 likely starting full backs in 2024. Unless you can confidently say that Lachie Miller would be 100% starting over 7 of the above mentioned players then even you don’t believe he would be the starting full back for ‘most’ nrl teams.

Whilst he is a great runner of the ball he has absolutely no passing game which will always stagnate a teams attacking play however he may be able to get away with that in SL.

And do I think you can contend or win SL Man Of Steel without being a top NRL player - yes, see Jackson Hastings, Brodie Croft, Lachlan Lam, Jai Field, Bevan French etc

For the record, i like yourself love SL!

• Like 2