NRL Imports 2024

50 minutes ago, Coco said:

It's just my personal opinion. I believe that standard of Super League is like there Reserve grade competition they have like the Queensland Cup competition.  Our clubs here would do well in that competition.

It's fair enough to have an opinion - we all have them. But this point in particular has been discussed at length many times before with a general consensus that top SL clubs, so right now that's your Wigan/Cats/Saints sides, would be good enough to be pushing for the top 8 in the NRL. I think what nobody disputes is that the bottom-end clubs in SL are nowhere near lower NRL teams and that's where the strength in depth of the NRL makes it a much tougher league. However, the idea most SL clubs are only operating at NSQ/QLD cup level is pretty absurd, even if it is just your opinion. 

• Like 5

I find it fun and interesting to share my views and opinions with you all.  Please understand I am not being disrespectful to any of your views. 

I disagree with those who state that our clubs here can compete in the NRL. But it's great fun communicating with you about Rugby League. 

I would have thought that St Helens performance against Penrith would demonstrate that at the top end of Super League they can compete with the better NRL teams.  Appreciate that is just one game however.

I find that Magic Weekend i get a view on the whole of Super League each year and agree that the quality between teams can feel massive.  I remember Wigan v St Helens in 2022 was such a high quality match that stood out so far above every other game that weekend, some of the matches that weekend felt semi pro in comparison.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coco said:

It's just my personal opinion. I believe that standard of Super League is like there Reserve grade competition they have like the Queensland Cup competition.  Our clubs here would do well in that competition.  

But back to the NRL imports thread.  Bevan French was not meeting the standards of the NRL, so he arrived here.  The same with Hiku, Miller and everyone else.  This is the standard of our competition here.  We take the ones that don't meet the standards of the NRL. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF rumours of LATERAL MITCHELL arriving on these shores? In his prime? 

Mate if I we’re you I would just dribbling on about things you know nothing about. Someone saying the SL is the same standard as reserve grade is just complete dribble and no one has time to hear it. If your not educated which you obviously aren’t don’t go out sharing your opinions, learn a few things about the sport first because your statements are totally bonkers and false. This is coming from an Aussie aswell.

Obviously you have the right to your own opinion but your a bit out of place here saying this stuff.

Edited by NRLandSL

9 hours ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

I would have thought that St Helens performance against Penrith would demonstrate that at the top end of Super League they can compete with the better NRL teams.  Appreciate that is just one game however.

I find that Magic Weekend i get a view on the whole of Super League each year and agree that the quality between teams can feel massive.  I remember Wigan v St Helens in 2022 was such a high quality match that stood out so far above every other game that weekend, some of the matches that weekend felt semi pro in comparison.

People just love to discredit super league no matter how well they do against NRL Opposition. 

Next year Wigan could beat Penrith By 40 and SL would still a “second grade comp”. I think it all just stems from aussies hatred of pommies so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

after all if the SL is a “Second grade comp” I don’t think the WCC would have been won equally 14 times by both leagues.

As an Aussie I apologise for how disrespectful some people can towards the super league, but I guarantee every person who says this has either never watched the SL or just incredibly uneducated.

• Like 1

Of Hull's NRL imports I'm confident that Ese'ese and Nu Brown will go well. Okunbor could go either way. I'm worried he could be flop, but he's a good athlete and could be one of those players who find that SL suits them a lot better than NRL.

But the one I'm most excited about is Franklin Pele. Again, he could go either way, but he's a man mountain with great pace and a bit of aggression about him. He's raw, but his ceiling looks to be very high.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Moylan is the sort of signing that makes me look forward to the new season.  Clearly there is talent there given his previous representative honours several years ago.

As ever with any signing it can go either way but credit to Leigh for bringing a player with pedigree over, feel this enhances SL.  Very interested to see how he gets on.

Any views on how Moylan has performed over the past year or two?  

On 09/11/2023 at 13:03, NRLandSL said:

Also, you don’t believe any Super league sides would do well in the NRL. Honestly mate that’s got to be for a laugh, I’m not even going to disagree with you because of how outrageous and untrue that claim is.

Also by your logic Peta Hiku could not meet the Demands of the NRL, which is totally bonkers considering he is one of the best centres in the comp.

Can you stop saying Peta Hiku is one of the best centres in the NRL. Please. 

I can't sleep as it is. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

6 hours ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

Matt Moylan is the sort of signing that makes me look forward to the new season.  Clearly there is talent there given his previous representative honours several years ago.

As ever with any signing it can go either way but credit to Leigh for bringing a player with pedigree over, feel this enhances SL.  Very interested to see how he gets on.

Any views on how Moylan has performed over the past year or two?  

Should be a very solid signing for Leigh, No doubt he has began to regress at this late stage of his career but he has still done pretty alright for Cronulla the past few years. He is highly critiqued as is every NRL half but a lot of it is unwarranted. Also he definitely goes under the radar playing with Nicho Hynes.

Class is permanent though and Moylan has the abilty to be a star if he gets back to his best, hopefully he will at Leigh just like Mulhern, Asiata, Lam, Amone, etc who have all reignited there careers this season.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Can you stop saying Peta Hiku is one of the best centres in the NRL. Please. 

I can't sleep as it is. 

Peta Hiku is not a traditional flashy centre who runs the ball every time instead of passing, which is probably why you don’t rate him. But he is very underrated player, his ball skills/ passing game are fantastic and he has the ability to tip on the ball to the winger like no others. Not to mention he is an absolute metre eater who is practically an extra prop, and was 6TH in the whole entire NRL in 2022 for run metres. Also Defensively he is class. 

He is a very unique player but there is no denying he’s talent, there’s not many players who are big as a prop, relatively quick and can play in the halves.

• Like 1

Luke Bain looks an interesting one for us Trinity fans. One of those cusp players we tend to do so well with.

One of those players who looks destined to be on the fringes of the NRL. Tries hard but doesn’t have the immediate impact required to bail down a spot.

Due to this he doesn’t have the reputation to attract the attention of a big SL club. But he’s ideal for clubs looking for players with a point to prove. Those who just need a bit of space, that provided by clubs swimming in a smaller pond.

Championship Trinity is just the place. In this league players like Bain have far more chance of standing out and finding there level.

Should he be good enough to follow us into SL should we manage a return I don’t know. But I firmly believe that these types of players are a far better long term buy than some past it player living off reputation alone.

My club in particular has had so much success using this method I don’t know where to start. But I am delighted that Powell seems happy to continue the tradition.

Having waxed lyrical it is worth noting that both  Bain and Walmesley are off quota as far as I’m aware, so I’m sure that helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Peta Hiku is not a traditional flashy centre who runs the ball every time instead of passing, which is probably why you don’t rate him. But he is very underrated player, his ball skills/ passing game are fantastic and he has the ability to tip on the ball to the winger like no others. Not to mention he is an absolute metre eater who is practically an extra prop, and was 6TH in the whole entire NRL in 2022 for run metres. Also Defensively he is class. 

He is a very unique player but there is no denying he’s talent, there’s not many players who are big as a prop, relatively quick and can play in the halves.

Aye, he's solid. 

Your points are often solid, but you lose all credibility with the hyperbole.

I repeat. Peta Hiku is not one of the best centres in the comp. If he was, he'd be staying. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

9 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Aye, he's solid. 

Your points are often solid, but you lose all credibility with the hyperbole.

I repeat. Peta Hiku is not one of the best centres in the comp. If he was, he'd be staying. 

The Hyperbole in the other comment was purely to disagree with a SL hater. I probably wouldn’t put Peta Hiku with the best in the comp, but he is probably around that 10-15 mark.

Edited by NRLandSL

7 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

The Hyperbole in the other comment was purely to disagree with a SL hater. I probably wouldn’t put Peta Hiku with the best in the comp, but he is probably around that 10-15 mark.

There's at least 20, younger centres who i'd rather have.

He'll be a good signing, but we just need to correctly contextualise. 🙂 

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I think Moylan has fallen quite a bit down in the last year to 18 months. Not the player he used to be, but perhaps SL will suit him.

In his prime he was pretty special.

Hopefully a move will work well for him.

I hope he does not get injured to the point he hardly gets any game time.

Edited by Jonty58
  • Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 15:13, hunsletgreenandgold said:

a general consensus that top SL clubs, so right now that's your Wigan/Cats/Saints sides, would be good enough to be pushing for the top 8 in the NRL

I will reserve judgement on Catalan till we see how the replacements for Tomkins, Pearce, May, Keighran and Whitley fit in without doubt these will be hard to replace with the same gameplan that Macnamara utilises.

• Like 1