Just wondering what time people on here like to get up in the morning? (No smut please!)

Are you up before dawn and wouldn’t dream of lying in? (But also go to bed quite early) Or are you a last minute merchant and reluctant to drag your weary carcass out of bed at all? 
Due to working patterns over the years I’ve been up at various times from 4am but never later than 6am. Even when I wasn’t working I would get up early and go for a walk or run, I used to love it. But now I still get up reasonably early but it’s quite half hearted.

You? 

16 minutes ago, Shadow45 said:

Up for work at 02:30, and on my days off, I'm usually awake by 04:00. Work nights, I'm asleep by 18:30 

Not for me to give anymore advice, but the best decision I ever made workwise was to work nights. Did it for ten years  my last ten years working, it was brilliant. Started at 10 pm until 6 am, slept from 8 am till 2 pm, no  problem at all. Its easy to be put off or scared even at the prospect,  but  I loved it. Absolutely hated getting  up in the morning and now retired I still do. Bed now at 1 am, up at 10 am.

Ps Doctor appointment today, bl00dy well up now !!

Edited by HawkMan

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Not for me to give anymore advice, but the best decision I ever made workwise was to work nights. Did it for ten years  my last ten years working, it was brilliant. Started at 10 pm until 6 am, slept from 8 am till 2 pm, no  problem at all. Its easy to be put off or scared even at the prospect,  but  I loved it. Absolutely hated getting  up in the morning and now retired I still do. Bed now at 1 am, up at 10 am.

I did 12 hr nights (but not exclusively, part of a shift pattern) for best part of 30 years. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone, we aren’t designed to do them. I can understand that you personally didn’t mind them - and they didn’t particularly bother me - but they aren’t good for you. I also know a few guys who have died shortly after retiring from years of night shifts. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm happy doing my shift pattern of 04:00-12:00. Get the afternoons, especially at the weekend for football and rugby, so it works out well. 

32 minutes ago, Shadow45 said:

I'm happy doing my shift pattern of 04:00-12:00. Get the afternoons, especially at the weekend for football and rugby, so it works out well. 

We had that shift pattern too, but I always thought that if I'm getting up in the middle of the night anyway, might as well stay up all night and get more dosh for doing it!.

33 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I am not, and never have been, a morning person.

Unless of course all the missing Troughton Who stories were suddenly available in a dvd boxset from your local video retailer, store open at 7am.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I did 12 hr nights (but not exclusively, part of a shift pattern) for best part of 30 years. I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone, we aren’t designed to do them. I can understand that you personally didn’t mind them - and they didn’t particularly bother me - but they aren’t good for you. I also know a few guys who have died shortly after retiring from years of night shifts. 

Yes, plenty of evidence that long-term shift work is bad for you - significantly worse outcomes for mental health, more chance of getting cancer, cardiovascular problems, alzheimers etc etc.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

A tv doc some years ago stated that 80% of NYPD on regular nightshift did not last long after retiring , must admit the short time I was on nights made me ill , chronic insomnia being the major factor.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Yes, plenty of evidence that long-term shift work is bad for you - significantly worse outcomes for mental health, more chance of getting cancer, cardiovascular problems, alzheimers etc etc.

43 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

A tv doc some years ago stated that 80% of NYPD on regular nightshift did not last long after retiring , must admit the short time I was on nights made me ill , chronic insomnia being the major factor.

I forget the exact chemical (melatonin?) but I remember an old guy telling me many years ago that night shifts inhibit the production of this and leave you more prone to illness like cancers. Naturally I checked this out and found out he was correct. It obviously wasn’t enough to put me off as this was almost 25 years ago but the guy on question also died a few years later. 

It’s probably a little late for me as any negative effects will be too well worn to reverse I suspect but I wouldn’t recommend them for this reason alone. 

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Shadow45 said:

Up for work at 02:30, and on my days off, I'm usually awake by 04:00. Work nights, I'm asleep by 18:30 

Each to their own. I could not handle that.
A while back (well a long while back come to think of it)  I did a rotation of 6-2,2-10,10-6.  That was bad enough. Transitioning from nights to earlies was a killer

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

6.30 up and out on dialysis days

7.00 up and on laptop work days

Very lazy Sunday mornings. Kettle in bedroom now is a must 👍🏼

Just thinking. I’m writing this at 5.50 and it’s a work day so not going to plan today. (Actually venturing into the great unknown of the office today)

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

A while back (well a long while back come to think of it)  I did a rotation of 6-2,2-10,10-6.  That was bad enough. Transitioning from nights to earlies was a killer

I've worked 04:00-12:00, 10:00-18:00, and 14:00-20:00 shift patterns, but the same hours each working day. I got used to each and everyone of them. I'm an early riser in general, and I much prefer this current shift pattern.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Oh yes , we had an unofficial agreement that the bloke on nights worked 10 - 7 ,  made 7 - 2 much more bearable