Who was your first ever favourite player?

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I'm old enough to remember before the concrete touchline terrace was built at Odsal. The changing rooms were at the top of the slope, Players had to enter and leave the field by walking through the the crowd on the ash banking. After one "typically robust" Widnes performance, we witnessed an enraged old dear marching into the line and attacking Jim Mills with her brolly.

Echoes of Minnie Cotton, the legendary pitch invader at St Helens Jim Mills on X: "John Warlow's landlady Minnie Cotton ...

Not an obvious one - but I had a lot of time for the work rate and effort of Paul Dixon.
He wasn't the biggest forward around and didn't seem to be blessed with the pace or ball playing skills of some other forwards but what he did with his abilities struck a chord with me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JDR said:

Not an obvious one - but I had a lot of time for the work rate and effort of Paul Dixon.
He wasn't the biggest forward around and didn't seem to be blessed with the pace or ball playing skills of some other forwards but what he did with his abilities struck a chord with me.

He would have been my 2nd choice behind Les Holiday. I remember buying a number 12 shirt and can't remember is it were because of Les or Dicko. Heard a lot of stories about how Dixon worked harder than most players going that extra mile just to make up for his size. A master of the ball steal back then as well and tough as nails. When Fax signed David Wrench I think they were very comparable so no surprise I were a hge Wrench fan as well, a very underated player.

• Like 1