Match thread: Pre-Season Warm Up. Featherstone Rovers v Dewsbury Rams. Sunday 14th January 2024.

Notoriously difficult to read anything into pre-season friendlies, but I think we all saw signs for quiet satisfaction in last Sunday's outing.

Short of six of the most experienced  members of the squad, with trialists, DR and youngsters in there, we looked like a unit playing for each other with decent half-back play and a solid pack on a heavy pitch.

So, roll on Dewsbury. More of the same? No doubt it will be heavy going again. Perhaps some changes and new faces to try out different options?

I think we'll see Aekins back. Or maybe Ford wants another look at Harris? We know what Caleb can do.

• marklaspalmas changed the title to Match thread: Pre-Season Warm Up. Featherstone Rovers v Dewsbury Rams. Sunday 14th January 2024.
2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Can't read them through the £5-per-month paywall, would I be right in thinking these are gleaned directly from Ford's post-match interview with RoversTV?

Probably:

“It was a useful exercise, obviously we’ve gone through pre-season and not been able to have much 13 v 13. It was really useful physically for us. We saw some combinations that were pretty good and some that were also rusty as you would expect. But, I was pleased with the togetherness and effort and desire from the boys.

Thomas Lacans has got a little bit of a spark about him with his speed and footwork. He is a dry-track player so we will see him go up a couple of levels from that when it firms up a bit. I thought Ben Reynolds was outstanding in very trying conditions and I thought Danny Addy looked class as well.

There were probably too many new signings to get through them all, but on the trialists, the young kid at fullback Charlie Harris, he’s aged 20 but probably maturation aged 17. He was very brave and got himself in a couple of promising positions but Bradford were good enough to defend that but you would expect that at this stage of his development. I think there is a player there, I think it is a long-term plan but there is a player there. Jack Arnold and Dean Roberts, one looked great defensively and belted a few blokes and the other carried really well so there are players in there too. We need to work with them a little bit. Sam Hassard came on the wing and he’s probably never played there but he did alright and he will get another chance next week.

I don’t think anybody thinks that the squad we’ve got right now is the one that will start the league season with or certainly not finish with. But what I did see out there is a bunch of blokes who will work really hard for each other and the Fev badge. We don’t need to go out and sign ten players, we just want one or two bits here and there to add a bit of quality to what we’ve already got.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Probably:

“It was a useful exercise, obviously we’ve gone through pre-season and not been able to have much 13 v 13. It was really useful physically for us. We saw some combinations that were pretty good and some that were also rusty as you would expect. But, I was pleased with the togetherness and effort and desire from the boys.

Thomas Lacans has got a little bit of a spark about him with his speed and footwork. He is a dry-track player so we will see him go up a couple of levels from that when it firms up a bit. I thought Ben Reynolds was outstanding in very trying conditions and I thought Danny Addy looked class as well.

There were probably too many new signings to get through them all, but on the trialists, the young kid at fullback Charlie Harris, he’s aged 20 but probably maturation aged 17. He was very brave and got himself in a couple of promising positions but Bradford were good enough to defend that but you would expect that at this stage of his development. I think there is a player there, I think it is a long-term plan but there is a player there. Jack Arnold and Dean Roberts, one looked great defensively and belted a few blokes and the other carried really well so there are players in there too. We need to work with them a little bit. Sam Hassard came on the wing and he’s probably never played there but he did alright and he will get another chance next week.

I don’t think anybody thinks that the squad we’ve got right now is the one that will start the league season with or certainly not finish with. But what I did see out there is a bunch of blokes who will work really hard for each other and the Fev badge. We don’t need to go out and sign ten players, we just want one or two bits here and there to add a bit of quality to what we’ve already got.”

That's not quite the same as the RoversTV interview so maybe I was doing them a disservice to be fair.

46 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

How many injured players are going to be back, if not for the Dewsbury game then when?

Email from the back office suggests Aekins and Hardcastle are due back. The latter is absolutely fabulous news for multiple reasons. Obviously the main one being by far the most important, that he's back in full health. On a playing level, against Bradford we really struggled bringing the ball out in yardage and our current threequarter line-up does look notably weaker than last year in that particular respect - Josh will put his hand up all day to take those tough carries from inside our own 20.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Featherstonerovers2000 said:

Wallace is on training camp and last week it only named 21 Bradford players but they turned up with 25 

I know F he's gone to Tenerife but regarding our squad and the bulls 25 if we were going to do the same would have thought the 21 would have been all FEV players and not include trialists and academy players

2 minutes ago, Featherstonerovers2000 said:

I was just saying as wynne will probably be under the 21 as it is alphabetical

Totally agree F for me in preseason you play everybody that's not injured not 19 like last week

13 hours ago, POR said:

I know F he's gone to Tenerife but regarding our squad and the bulls 25 if we were going to do the same would have thought the 21 would have been all FEV players and not include trialists and academy players

We haven't got 21 players!

1 minute ago, Michael Bates said:

We haven't got 21 players!

I know M that's why I said if we were going to play more than the 21 as suggested we would list all  FEV players before HKR academy  in the Match Centre on the RFL