Rugby League in NZ. A People's History.

Is this book available in the UK? If it is it's an excellent read. It took the author (Ryan Bodman) ten years to write it. In the main it covers the trials the RL faced for over one hundred from the NZRU, like denying fields to play the game,  banning the sport from schools, life ban on  those thinking or playing RL. Covers lots of other news and

how  the game  has become the most watched  TV  sport in NZ.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, frank said:

Is this book available in the UK? If it is it's an excellent read. It took the author (Ryan Bodman) ten years to write it. In the main it covers the trials the RL faced for over one hundred from the NZRU, like denying fields to play the game,  banning the sport from schools, life ban on  those thinking or playing RL. Covers lots of other news and

It's listed on Amazon.co.uk, but only 1 print copy on offer for £40.24 which suggests the physical edition is o/p.

However, there is a Kindle edition listed for £9.74: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital-text&rh=p_27%3ARyan+Bodman&s=relevancerank&text=Ryan+Bodman&ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There are four copies listed on Abebooks.co.uk (which is also owned by Amazon). One hardback, three paperbacks. One each in the UK, USA, NZ and Oz. 

The NZ and UK ones are around £40 each (the NZ one around £20 but also £20 shipping cost), the Australia one is £36 plus £30 for shipping, and the USA one £48 for the book, and another £40 for shipping.

The hardcover book is "used" whereas the 3 paperbacks are described as "new".

ISBN 10: 1991033443                 ISBN 13: 9781991033444

Edited by Pigeon Lofter
Added the ISBN numbers

3 hours ago, frank said:

and

As much as I`d like to believe that, it does sounds a little iffy. 

4 hours ago, frank said:

I followed his Facebook page for years while he was researching the book. Highly recommended. Particularly interesting on the topic of whether and when League is/was the more popular code in Auckland.

I just bought the Kindle edition. I'll report back when I've started reading it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a few chapters in now. Densely packed with information, but in a pretty readable style.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a lot of reading time recently, but I'm a fair further into this book now.

It's great. Tons of information about NZRL and all sorts of things that were connected with it, like the early unions and radical politicians who found common cause with the game that kicked against the establishment pricks.

Also plenty about the other code's dirty tricks, most of which will be very familiar from other territories.

Silly money in the UK as a printed copy, but a solid gold best buy in ebook form.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 4

Ralph Waldo Emerson