Barrow Vs Hunslet

pennington

What’s everyone’s thoughts of tomorrow’s game against Hunslet.

Going to be a messy game by the looks of the weather conditions with heavy rain and 60mph winds at 3pm.

Be interesting to see which players we will have available tomorrow as I would expect the starting lineup to be a close to the best team we have as possible for a run out before the actual season begins against Workington.

Ill go for;

Barrow 34-10 Hunslet, MOM Ryan Johnson , Attendance 850. 

• Like 1

Squad does not yet include Ellis Gillam recovering from injury nor Harvey Makin who'll be with us at Workington next weekend.

Looking forward to finally seeing Razor Silva in action.

Bit concerned about how the pitch will handle a lot of rain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, olray said:

Think the game should be called off due to high winds and everyone’s safety etc

You can’t go calling games off because of a bit of wind and rain. 

4 hours ago, olray said:

Think the game should be called off due to high winds and everyone’s safety etc

38 mph with 60 mph *gusts* this afternoon, according to Accuweather

Horrendous but not quite catastrophic. However, you can can imagine it getting abandoned if any bits of roof blow off, for example. 

Talking of which, I hope someone's had the foresight to take the big screen down for the duration because the forecast has the wind getting even stronger later on.

Hope the marquee's properly strapped down now otherwise it might end up sailing off towards Anson Street like its predecessor did. 

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 1

Just walked on the pitch, squelchy but not waterlogged.

Radar shows a few hours break in the rain and the current strong winds might help dry the ground somewhat.

The 70 mph strongest winds not due until this evening.

But you know Steve, he won't turn down any income, so the pitch would have to be flooded for him to call it off.

It could turn somewhat muddy, but with the next 1st team game not likely until April and with only a few Furness Raiders and Women's game scheduled Feb/Mar. all things considered, including our top players getting a game, going-ahead is probably the right decision - just....

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, olray said:

60 mph winds are not a bit of wind you clown 🤡 

At kick off it’s given 30mph winds with 60mph gusts. Get your facts right before gibbing off! 

On the marquee note, it’s been closed for the day, good decision keeping it shut, should stop the wind getting in when the door is open. 

1 hour ago, RLDB said:

At kick off it’s given 30mph winds with 60mph gusts. Get your facts right before gibbing off! 

On the marquee note, it’s been closed for the day, good decision keeping it shut, should stop the wind getting in when the door is open. 

The present marquee is strapped down with huge water tanks after what happened with the previous one so should be fine ........

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RLDB said:

Not many positives to take from that, good for fitness! Silva looks a handful. Thought Finn McMillan should have been man of the match. Second half was terrible. 

The first half we defended really well on our line, we went nearly half an hour without getting out of our half. But apart from that not a lot to take away. 

Conditions ruined the second half as it was impossible to keep hold of the ball. 

Couple of obvious things which need improvement are game management and discipline. 

With the wind in our backs Walker could kick the ball 60-70m easily (got a 40-20 in first 3 mins of 2nd half and kicked a goal line drop out into touch in their half) yet we didn't kick the ball early once. We should have just pinned them in their half yet didn't. 

We gave away 4 or 5 unforced offsides which we can't afford to do in the championship. 

Finn was MOM by a mile. Must have done the most tackles without any misses and probably took the most carries with no errors. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RLDB said:

Not many positives to take from that, good for fitness! Silva looks a handful. Thought Finn McMillan should have been man of the match. Second half was terrible. 

Completely agree, Hunslet looked the better team in stages however our forwards won the game for us today. Thought Silva, Burke, Magic Mike and Wilkinson put in a good shift. 

Again, our line speed was woeful, practically none existent and we didn't attack from deep at any time. I understand playing to the conditions but Hunslet looked decent when playing expansive. 

And Brad Walker definitely is not a 6. Too many times play broke down when he had the ball with no organisation. 

• Like 2
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

21 minutes ago, Masters 13 said:

Completely agree, Hunslet looked the better team in stages however our forwards won the game for us today. Thought Silva, Burke, Magic Mike and Wilkinson put in a good shift. 

Again, our line speed was woeful, practically none existent and we didn't attack from deep at any time. I understand playing to the conditions but Hunslet looked decent when playing expansive. 

And Brad Walker definitely is not a 6. Too many times play broke down when he had the ball with no organisation. 

Can’t believe brad got MoM 2 weeks on the trot! For what? Didn’t do nowt! Not a promising no6 in our opinion, lucky today didn’t play great bad conditions.

average team playing lower competition, not much hope for the championship 

Edited by BarraFan
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Masters 13 said:

Think one game to write off Walker as a 6 is harsh when he's just won man of the match in the last 2 games setting up 6 tries and getting a few line break assists. The game management aspect needs to improve but his passing and short kicking game is very good and exceeded my expectations. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

Winger Ryan Shaw is now no faster than most forwards  & touch judges and probably holds his place for his kicking.

When was the last time you saw a forward run 90m for a try like Ryan did not that long ago?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, The Vet said:

When was the last time you saw a forward run 90m for a try like Ryan did not that long ago?

Touch judge was step x step with him for that try. Today he was away clear but got caught at the half-way line. He's slowing down, not unexpectedly at 31. 

Lots of negative comments on here. I didn't go today but surely the conditions made it impossible to play any decent rugby ????

I just can't see the point of all these friendlies. Two more serious injuries so it would seem today, Ryan Johnstone (bicep), and Shane Toal. Crazy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RSN said:

Think one game to write off Walker as a 6 is harsh when he's just won man of the match in the last 2 games setting up 6 tries and getting a few line break assists. The game management aspect needs to improve but his passing and short kicking game is very good and exceeded my expectations. 

I'm not basin my opinion on one game and you even said so yourself that his game management needs to improve as does his in game kicking. 

Too many times he nearly got caught short kicking due to not being deep enough. Plus there was little or no planning when attacking their try line within their 10. 

Hopefully he will improve. 

BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

22 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

Touch judge was step x step with him for that try. Today he was away clear but got caught at the half-way line. He's slowing down, not unexpectedly at 31. 

So that makes the touch judge quick then, I don’t remember that occasion today with him being caught, anyway he offers more than just goal kicking imo

Edited by The Vet
  • Like 2