Bradford (H)

My maths isn't great but I think we'd need to win by more than 30 points to have any chance of progressing in the 1895 Cup. Given what happened last week I think we'll be lucky to lose by under 30, but hopefully we can see some signs of improvement. 

Rams 10 Bulls 38

Att. 1,386

FTS Greensmith

It may sound a strange thing to say but for me the performance is far more important than the result on this occasion. If we get the result in the process then fine. I want to see some fire and passion in this weeks performance. Some composure on the field and some structure when executing end of set play. Play to the team strength’s with the last tackle kicking game instead of making a complete hash of the kicks on almost every occasion. Anyway just give a passionate performance from minute 1 to minute 80.

• Like 7

It's really grim to feel so despondent so very early in the season, but I fear that Sunday will just be a lesson in how much more can be bought with a pound coin compared to what you get for a twenty pence piece. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm going for....

Sykes sinned binned in the 14th minute for gobbing off. 

• Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I am hoping for a decent performance combined with a good gate - a win will be a step too far for a young slightly under-prepared side.

Rams 12 - 36 Bulls

FTS: O'Connor

Att: 1750

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Like every other Dewsbury supporter, I hope for a much improved performance than the offered to those who visited Keighley last week. Even so, I cannot see victory coming our way.

Dewsbury 12-44

FTS: Greensmith 

MoM: Davies

Att: 1833

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Well definitely a game of two halves. In the first half, we let Bradford play the ball quickly so we were always on the back foot, whilst Bradford slowed our PTBs down. Given the referee seemed happy to allow constant holding down, we should have started holding down much earlier. And he seemed happy with Bradford players walking forward off the mark.

We were outgunned in size down the middle and Gaskell is still a quality player. But showed some steel in the 2nd half. 

Think it would be fair to say the referee gave the rub of the green to Bradford. Didn't spot holding down or offside from Bradford till last minute. And baffled how Flanagan got a yellow card and Bradford got the penalty. The most serious offence gets the penalty. 

Also baffled in 2nd half when we got midfield penalties we didn't look to get some yards by kicking to touch.

If we can produce two halves like 2nd, we could have a chance this season of staying up.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

You've given a much more positive review than I would there. I thought we were shocking from start to finish. If we play like that every week then we won't win a game all season. I could not be more disappointed in that performance.

The first offence gets the penalty, not the most serious.

• Like 2

Well beaten by a much better side with skill and experience down the spine. Souter and Gaskell were both quality giving their other players the opportunity to shine, largely by an interesting tactic of running and passing the ball at the same time.

Our pack was well beaten and this will probably become a theme this season, I'm sorry to say.

The lack of availability of half-time draw tickets around the South Stand combined with some (but not all) Bradford fans being quite obnoxious made for a disappointing afternoon all round.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Poor all round. I did think we got back into the game in the second half slightly but I can’t help but think that was because at 30 up Bradford took 20% off their efforts.

Poor discipline, no strong leadership, weak decision making and a lack of co-ordination were obvious. I do get the sense we can actually convert chances into points but we need ball-in-hand in their half more to give the backs a chance of doing that.

This pack is struggling at this level. Some lads seem to have a guaranteed starting spot in the team but I think Fergie needs to experiment now and see how mixing it up can work. I know we’re only 2 games in, but it’s clear just doing the same thing each week will mean we get beat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am hoping for a decent performance combined with a good gate - a win will be a step too far for a young slightly under-prepared side.

Rams 12 - 36 Bulls

FTS: O'Connor

Att: 1750

Not far off

Better performance 

But not there yet

A injection of blood will mix it up

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Well beaten by a much better side with skill and experience down the spine. Souter and Gaskell were both quality giving their other players the opportunity to shine, largely by an interesting tactic of running and passing the ball at the same time.

Our pack was well beaten and this will probably become a theme this season, I'm sorry to say.

The lack of availability of half-time draw tickets around the South Stand combined with some (but not all) Bradford fans being quite obnoxious made for a disappointing afternoon all round.

Need some decent half backs and a link in creative full back.

16 minutes ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Poor all round. I did think we got back into the game in the second half slightly but I can’t help but think that was because at 30 up Bradford took 20% off their efforts.

Poor discipline, no strong leadership, weak decision making and a lack of co-ordination were obvious. I do get the sense we can actually convert chances into points but we need ball-in-hand in their half more to give the backs a chance of doing that.

This pack is struggling at this level. Some lads seem to have a guaranteed starting spot in the team but I think Fergie needs to experiment now and see how mixing it up can work. I know we’re only 2 games in, but it’s clear just doing the same thing each week will mean we get beat.

I will ask again. Which guaranteed starting spots would you stand down and who from the existing squad would you replace them with?

19 minutes ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Was it the pack that Bradford continuously exposed down our right defensive edge when they were waltzing in for first half try’s?

34 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I will ask again. Which guaranteed starting spots would you stand down and who from the existing squad would you replace them with?

All of them from the half backs to the props. As I said, be good to ‘experiment’. My point was let’s keep an open approach.

With a young squad like ours and lots of prospects it would be good to try some. Nothing to lose after performances we’re getting so far.

Certainly Bradford took their foot off the pedal in the second half, but Dewsbury only came to life after the big punch up. Although still outplayed in all departments, in themselves they looked a different side. For the first time all afternoon they looked interested in being involved in a match after earlier on looking like a beaten side even as they walked onto the pitch.

Lack of motivation was a key factor in today's performance. If we don't care about the Challenge Cup as much as we obviously don't care about the 1895 Cup can somebody please let us know before next week and save us all wasting our twenty quid again 

14 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Bang on,I said this in our last game of the season at Doncaster.

I hate Dual registration with a passion. However we definitely need some in from Huddersfield. I will apologise now in advance but quite simply quite a few of our players are not currently good enough. IMHO it would almost amount to an act of cruelty to expose some of them to the RFL Championship.

• Like 4