The 2024 NRL Trials Thread

To paraphrase the cover of an edition of Rugby League Week, this is the time when everything old is new again.

All of the Trials are on SKY though given the kick of times in the UK it would be a trial in itself to watch them all

First Off

Canterbury Bulldogs v Melbourne Storm

Will the constant churn at the Bulldogs allow the team to gel and for Melbourne, is Craig Bellamy coaching one season too many and are they still forward lite?

Newcastle Knights v Cronulla Sharks

The overachievers from 2023 meet the overachievers from 2022. Will Newcastle drop out of the eight without Dom Young and are the Sharkies still over reliant on Nicho Hynes and William Kennedy?

Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles

Are trhe Roosters still in a rebuild phase rather than a premiership phase, and is the sum of Manly more than a Trbojevic Family Club ?

Paramatta Eels v Canberra Raiders

Two coaches under pressure, Brad Arthur needs his Eels side to be premiership contenders while Ricky's Raiders are being tipped by some to be potential wooden spoonists. Two coats hanging on a shaky nail ?. 

South Sydney Rabbitohs v St George - Illawarra

Can Souffs make it through one final window of opportnity for its ageing side, and is avoiding the spoon really the limit for a club with the traditions of St George ?

New Zealand Warriors v West Tigers

Will the Wahs be able to back up last seasons emotional return to Mount Smart and does the great Benji Marshall really have the eye of the Tiger as a coach ?

North Queensland Cowboys v Brisbane Broncos

Like the Sharkies overachioevers in 2022, back to earth in tropical Townsville in 2023. Can the Cows bring a premiership home. Plenty saying Brisbane are in the position to win one having lost one or will injuries and the loss of Flegler and Farnworth buck the Broncos?

Dolphins v  Gold Coast Titans

Dolphins as last year's surprise packet are many peoples dark horse to go deep in the premiership race, by contrast, Des Haseler is the latest coach to try create a Titans side that blows the door off previous dissapointments.

The next eight months will answer these questions.

• Like 3

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, JimBronco said:

@Graham You subscribe to watctnrl.com eadh year, don't you? Is it worth paying up for the whole year? Will save money doing it that way. 

I subscribe as well, although other family members probably get more value than I do! I would say its worth doing.

• Like 1

The Bulldogs are looking lively against the Storm so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

The Bulldogs are looking lively against the Storm so far.

Bulldogs 24:12 Storm at FT.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 14/02/2024 at 15:02, JimBronco said:

@Graham You subscribe to watctnrl.com eadh year, don't you? Is it worth paying up for the whole year? Will save money doing it that way. 

Yes. Overall I consider it worth it, though I get the best value in the season, using it much less outside that time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Yes. Overall I consider it worth it, though I get the best value in the season, using it much less outside that time. 

If you have a monthly sub for the length of the season, plus internationals, it comes to quite a bit more than taking an annual sub, even if you don't watch it much over the off-season.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Indigenous 22 Maori 14.

I think these pre-game haka stuff are getting over the top. I question the wisdom of carrying traditional weapons out to the field. Particularly in the Womens game where some of the Indigenous women had bows and arrows. Who doesn't love a bit of historical revisionism thrown in with their rugby league?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Graham said:

Just watched Ind v Mao on catch up.

So did I just finished watching the condensed highlights. Season hasn't even started yet and you're already 1 minute ahead of me.

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

So did I just finished watching the condensed highlights. Season hasn't even started yet and you're already 1 minute ahead of me.

It’s not advanced technology, it’s a kind of magic.

I don't understand time zones!

How is it possible that in Europe it is today.
In Australia it is tomorrow.
And in Castleford it is 1890?

4 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Indigenous 22 Maori 14.

I think these pre-game haka stuff are getting over the top. I question the wisdom of carrying traditional weapons out to the field. Particularly in the Womens game where some of the Indigenous women had bows and arrows. Who doesn't love a bit of historical revisionism thrown in with their rugby league?

Yes its all getting a bit much…..I was at an event a few weeks back where the first three speakers welcomed me to the country where I own property, pay high taxes have the legal right to remain permanently but cannot vote in elections for any level of government.

When are RL teams in the UK going to get on board. A welcome to country by the original residents of Wigan…the pie making ceremony would go down a treat.

On 14/02/2024 at 15:03, THE RED ROOSTER said:

To paraphrase the cover of an edition of Rugby League Week, this is the time when everything old is new again.

All of the Trials are on SKY though given the kick of times in the UK it would be a trial in itself to watch them all

First Off

Canterbury Bulldogs v Melbourne Storm

Will the constant churn at the Bulldogs allow the team to gel and for Melbourne, is Craig Bellamy coaching one season too many and are they still forward lite?

Newcastle Knights v Cronulla Sharks

The overachievers from 2023 meet the overachievers from 2022. Will Newcastle drop out of the eight without Dom Young and are the Sharkies still over reliant on Nicho Hynes and William Kennedy?

Sydney Roosters v Manly Sea Eagles

Are trhe Roosters still in a rebuild phase rather than a premiership phase, and is the sum of Manly more than a Trbojevic Family Club ?

Paramatta Eels v Canberra Raiders

Two coaches under pressure, Brad Arthur needs his Eels side to be premiership contenders while Ricky's Raiders are being tipped by some to be potential wooden spoonists. Two coats hanging on a shaky nail ?. 

South Sydney Rabbitohs v St George - Illawarra

Can Souffs make it through one final window of opportnity for its ageing side, and is avoiding the spoon really the limit for a club with the traditions of St George ?

New Zealand Warriors v West Tigers

Will the Wahs be able to back up last seasons emotional return to Mount Smart and does the great Benji Marshall really have the eye of the Tiger as a coach ?

North Queensland Cowboys v Brisbane Broncos

Like the Sharkies overachioevers in 2022, back to earth in tropical Townsville in 2023. Can the Cows bring a premiership home. Plenty saying Brisbane are in the position to win one having lost one or will injuries and the loss of Flegler and Farnworth buck the Broncos?

Dolphins v  Gold Coast Titans

Dolphins as last year's surprise packet are many peoples dark horse to go deep in the premiership race, by contrast, Des Haseler is the latest coach to try create a Titans side that blows the door off previous dissapointments.

The next eight months will answer these questions.

Were you the lead intro writer for that American Comedy Soap?? 😉

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

On 16/02/2024 at 23:15, Blotto said:

Were you the lead intro writer for that American Comedy Soap?? 😉

Strewth, That was on when I was a nipper.. Now I can't get that theme out of my head and it's all your fault....

The first round of the trials always sees some uneven match ups with sides (apart from the Vegas teams) putting out more first grade sides in Round 2.

That said there were a few pointers in this round.

The Bulldogs reserve grade fared better than some of the first grade against the Storm reserves who were ahead at the half. Maybe some of the pups need more game time. Interesting to hear that while Melbourne have little trouble developing backs in Victoria there is a dearth of victorian forwards.

Once Newcastle stopped dropping the ball, Sharkies did not get a look in at steamy Gosford and while it is a reserve grade team it kinda leaves concerns about the strength of the Sharks roster when injuries pile up.

The Roosters largely first grade side were a bit clunky against a reserve grade Manly and were behind at the half. Interestiong to note that of the four clubs going to Vegas its the Silvertails who have opted not to gove their available first graders a hit out.

Parramatta did Parra things racing to a 12 zip lead then collapsing to Canberra. CANBERRA conceding 5 tries in 20 mins. Some Journos think the NRL season will not result in any sackings but more performances like this I would not feel so sure about Brad Arthur's job security.

The best game of the round IMO was Souffs against SGI with both sides putting out available first graders. Although Souffs were the better side, I did see enough from SGI to confirm they will be avoiding the spoon this year.

"Woody" currently resides at Concord and Wests ground out a 2 point win at a packed house in Christchuirch against a Warriors side that played for 60 minutes with 12 men. Both sides would take plenty of positives out of this game.

Brisbane's largely first grade side despatched the competitive North Queensland reseve graders who scored two length of the field tries at Mackay. Commentators making light of bthe loss of Felgler and Farnworth for the Bronx pointing to juniors such as Tristan Sailor, son of Wendell, who is viewed as a coming superstar who will not be getting on a plane to Vegas.

Finally the Dolphins continue their unpredictability, spluttering against a Titans side which contained about 1-2 first graders that Titaned up and were well in the game for 60 minutes against largely first grade opponents

Ex-Swinton Lions Geronimo Doyle played for the Gold Coast Titans and I for one cannot wait until he scores a try .. As anyone who has jumped out of a plane (with a parachute) would know - GERONIMO !😃

On to round 2 of the pre-season

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

Round 2 upcoming

Friday

South Sydney v Sydney Roosters

Everyone who has not flown out to have around of Golf with Teddy and 'trell.

Cronulla v Canterbury

Was to have a been a near first grade match up but no Nicho Hynes for the Sharks. Kikau back for the Doggies along with ex-Panther and new Captain Stephen Crichton.

Saturday

Melbourne v Newcastle

The NRL says Bula to Fiji  as two First Grade sides (minus Cameron Munster) clash. Can the Storm beat a Knight side that speared the Sharkies at Gosford. It's a bit of an acid test for both side as as to who will tradukka in Lautoka.

New Zealand Warriors v The Dolphins

Promises to be an entertaining stoush at Mount Smart between two teams who play pacific islander "off the cuff" rugby league. A try fest should ensue.

Manly v Brisbane

Those who have missed out...

St George v West Tigers

Preview of the battle for the spoon or maybe not as both teams showed an uptick last week. A win vital for either side as part of boost to the psyche before the season starts in earnest

Sunday

Canberra v North Queensland

Can the cows win away with their first grade side against a Raiders side shorn of the departed Jarrod Croker and Jack Wighton. One things for sure Ricky Raiders are not facing a side as porous as Parra were in the second half last week.

Gold Coast v Paramatta

Des Gold Coast reserves took the Dolphins 60  inutes to crack but can the first grade repeat against a full strength Paramatta side. On the face of it no but if parra are pounded expect the first signs of discontent in the Inner West..

George Orwell

Parra's hooking situation still unclear. Lussick starts this weekend with Hands on bench. Last week Hands was in the starting 13 and Lussick wasn't in the 17 I believe. 

The Roosters' Jersey Flegg players from last season are looking very lively against the Bunnies. Lots of potential for the next few years.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comprehensive win for the Roosters juniors with several standout performances in a 46-10 win notably Corey Ross " The Terminator ". Even more impressive given that they were down two forwards for the second half.

Shout out to two Brits on the park Alexander Young . Dom's brother, and Warrington academy product Aidan Doolan playing for South's. Best of luck to both on forging a career in the NRL.

George Orwell