Anyone but...

Anyone but...  

56 members have voted

1. 1. A question on another thread has sparked the age old question. When it comes to a match between your rivals and a foreign team, who do you support? I'm not talking games against Catalans/NZ Warriors in the league because that's a no brainer but matches where your rival represents your teams league. Vote above!

• Rival
    • Foreign Team

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

In rugby league I’d always support the English team in the WCC, in football I’d rarely support an English team in Europe. 

I can't remember if you're a Norwich or Ipswich fan, but I just like to say that I was right behind the Canaries on their glorious escapade in Europe back in 93/94. That Jeremy Goss volley was a great moment.

I also have a bizarre memory of watching some of the Inter Milan v Norwich whilst at school, but I don't know how that could have happened. Must have been highlights from the previous day I think. I just remember Denis Bergkamp playing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I can't remember if you're a Norwich or Ipswich fan, but I just like to say that I was right behind the Canaries on their glorious escapade in Europe back in 93/94. That Jeremy Goss volley was a great moment.

I also have a bizarre memory of watching some of the Inter Milan v Norwich whilst at school, but I don't know how that could have happened. Must have been highlights from the previous day I think. I just remember Denis Bergkamp playing.

I know this is nothing to do with RL, but seeing as you’ve mentioned it. The second leg in Milan was a really early kick off for some reason so you could well have watched it at school, I had to bunk off to watch it as I can remember running across the field and climbing over a wall to avoid getting spotted. We should have got a draw in the home leg until Rob Newman needlessly brought Sosa down in the box when he was going away from the goal and Bergkamp scored a penalty with about 10 minutes to go. In the away leg we had a few injuries but still had quite a few chances and could have drawn the tie if luck had gone our way, but then Bergkamp scores with a few minutes to go.  All back in the days before money ruined the English top flight. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In rugby league I’d always support the English team in the WCC, in football I’d rarely support an English team in Europe. 

I always used to support English football teams playing in Europe until the petty jealousy ramped up big style with the advent of the EPL. I now couldn’t care less. In fact I’d be quite happy to see Man U or Liverpool dumped out, the earlier the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

You missed my point…to me yorkie teams are foreign. Canberra or Castleford both foreign. Probably choose Castleford cos its nearer the beach.

That's rugby leagues problem,too tribal. Martin Offiah once said that. 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In soccer I don't support any of them. Know sod all about it tbh. 

6 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

In soccer I don't support any of them. Know sod all about it tbh. 

If Oldham Athletic somehow won the FA cup and got into Europe would you want them to win? 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know this is nothing to do with RL, but seeing as you’ve mentioned it. The second leg in Milan was a really early kick off for some reason so you could well have watched it at school, I had to bunk off to watch it as I can remember running across the field and climbing over a wall to avoid getting spotted. We should have got a draw in the home leg until Rob Newman needlessly brought Sosa down in the box when he was going away from the goal and Bergkamp scored a penalty with about 10 minutes to go. In the away leg we had a few injuries but still had quite a few chances and could have drawn the tie if luck had gone our way, but then Bergkamp scores with a few minutes to go.  All back in the days before money ruined the English top flight. 

Well I'm glad I'm not going completely mad, because I definitely remember being in the library after school watching it. I can only think of hooliganism fears as the reason why they'd kick off at 2 or 3pm on a weekday. Bizarre.

Just now, Eddie said:

If Oldham Athletic somehow won the FA cup and got into Europe would you want them to win? 

I suppose so but it'd be just because it's Oldham. Not because I particularly like soccer. I'd probably look out for the score on the web tbh. It really does nothing for me.🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

My folks were on holiday in Milan not long after this and found some graffiti in quite a refined area of the city where amongst all the Italian daubing someone had written “Ipswich Town are ####”.

Anyway back to RL.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

That's rugby leagues problem,too tribal. Martin Offiah once said that. 

No its a bit of banter….something other sports (and Martin Offiah) dont quite get. 

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Well I'm glad I'm not going completely mad, because I definitely remember being in the library after school watching it. I can only think of hooliganism fears as the reason why they'd kick off at 2 or 3pm on a weekday. Bizarre.

Just looked it up, quite hard to find the info but it was a bank holiday in Italy so kicked off mid afternoon.  

• Thanks 1