Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL Challenge cup to be removed from protected TV list

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (oldrover @ Nov 24 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i've seen you when you've been feeling grumpy. you got kicked out of the pantomime.

no that's because he felt Happy

I too cancelled SKY in 1995 and I still do not have it, however, that's my personal choice and it's up to each person to decide for themselves.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#62 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

The reason we have teams like London, catalans, the crusadors is simply to do with the expansion of the national game. The RFL are trying to build the same support the RFU have for their national game, as they see this as the big money earner. My view is it will never work, but try telling them that.

As for sky I dont believe they are as bad as people make out. They have put a lot of money into the game and I do not believe it is their fault that it has been miss managed by clubs and the RFL. As people have mentioned their is no financial gain for them in having teams in london or wales so it makes no sense to think they are the ones stipulating this, as I said earlier it the the RFL who see the international stage as such an important factor.

I do however believe sky are responsible for some bad things, ie video refs, and thursday night fixtures, but on the whole it is the Clubs and the RFL who have miss managed a once in alife time oppertunity to take the money sky put in and build a stronger and better game. rolleyes.gif

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#63 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,042 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

as i understand it, one of the conditions of the sky deal was that a london team was included in sl. They made no stipulation that a welsh team be included, that was the rfl's commissioning i believe.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#64 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 25 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as i understand it, one of the conditions of the sky deal was that a london team was included in sl. They made no stipulation that a welsh team be included, that was the rfl's commissioning i believe.

They were also kean for RL to move to summer as they did not have at that time a major British sport to fill there schedules. For me and i think some others on here, it isn't just skys treatment of our game it goes back far further than that. I have taken a stand for political and moral reasons. these things don't reduce with time if you intend to stay loyal to your beliefs.

Edited by DMS, 25 November 2009 - 01:13 PM.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#65 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

I've a feeling that most of us may be hypocrites from time to time. I won't have SKY for the reasons I quoted earlier, but whenever I visit my daughters I grab the SKY+ remote and watch re-runs of Rovers games. I also watched the Barrow Northern Rail Cup semi live on SKY, and was grateful to, because it was too far to travel on a Thursday evening.
So there are some good things and bad things, but I just hope that when technology takes another leap foward with digital channels, and broadband speed are even higher, even in remote villages, that the TV ombudsman will ensure that everyone has the right to watch all forms of sport for a small and fair one-off fee without having to pay an exorbitant monthly fee to not watch golf and tennis.

#66 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Robin Evans @ Nov 24 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i take some comfort in steve's comments. At least now i don't feel so alone. I know oldrover won't do sky either, so i'm sort of happy in my grumpyness about sky now!

Its a right pile of ###### Robin. I will admit to having the dreaded dish, but basically I watch the boxing and the wife cricket and tennis. Thats basically it. I cant do with all the sex and rolling about in bed ( on the box I mean).

#67 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Bob Crowther @ Nov 25 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a right pile of ###### Robin. I will admit to having the dreaded dish, but basically I watch the boxing and the wife cricket and tennis. Thats basically it. I cant do with all the sex and rolling about in bed ( on the box I mean).

Cancel your subscription to Channel X then Bob and save some money laugh.gif laugh.gif
The weak conform, the strong survive.