Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Under 18's Academy

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jun 9 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also its a case of having a structue in place.. for the club itself.. IIRC the academies have to be set up in a certain way as well, education the kids beyond just how to play RL, a case of getting them set for life after RL or if it doesnt work out etc which is a good thing..

but an u18 academy is not the sole reference for a sl franchise as a stadium is not the sole reference.. it is part of a greater whole.. if Leigh dont believe they need an academy becuase the amateur youth sorts it all out then that is absolutely fine its 1 point.. there are 9 others to aim for.. you ony need aabout 5 to be up towards the top of the tree for a liscence.. but the other bits need to be good. its horses for courses..

Not sure if Leigh still have an academy but they did have one for a long time. Nevertheless not all young lads in Leigh want to play in the academy, BECAUSE the set-up at the amatuer clubs in Leigh are superb. Leigh RLFC are working with those amateur clubs now, but the pro club won't be able to "claim" these youngsters as part of franchising even if they are born and bred in Leigh and Leigh RLFC have played a part in the schools set up etc

On the other hand moneybags Wire could come in, snare a good young Leyther up from Leigh Miners with ££££ and stick him in their academy. That guy will then be deemed to be a Wire youngster - what a load of ##### guff

I don't like the concept of academies below a certain age, say under 20/21, because they are dear to run and also perhaps detract from the enjoyment of amateur set-ups.

#22 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jun 9 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if Leigh still have an academy but they did have one for a long time. Nevertheless not all young lads in Leigh want to play in the academy, BECAUSE the set-up at the amatuer clubs in Leigh are superb. Leigh RLFC are working with those amateur clubs now, but the pro club won't be able to "claim" these youngsters as part of franchising even if they are born and bred in Leigh and Leigh RLFC have played a part in the schools set up etc

On the other hand moneybags Wire could come in, snare a good young Leyther up from Leigh Miners with ££££ and stick him in their academy. That guy will then be deemed to be a Wire youngster - what a load of ##### guff

I don't like the concept of academies below a certain age, say under 20/21, because they are dear to run and also perhaps detract from the enjoyment of amateur set-ups.

i'm sure not all young lads want to.. but thats not the point.. academies dont always have the best kids in them becuase kids develop at different speeds etc.. but it is something very important to ave in place it also allows kids who may need to normally leave school and just get a job to continue and further their education something thy may not have had the chance to do.. its more than just the rugby at these academies..

as for the moneybags.. it happens in football as well.. money talks and that is just the way that it goes sadly thee is very little you cn do about it..

Saitn Toppy: i could have sworn it wasa franchise point for having an acadmey structure up to standard xyz but i may well be wrong..

#23 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jun 9 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm sure not all young lads want to.. but thats not the point.. academies dont always have the best kids in them becuase kids develop at different speeds etc.. but it is something very important to ave in place it also allows kids who may need to normally leave school and just get a job to continue and further their education something thy may not have had the chance to do.. its more than just the rugby at these academies..

as for the moneybags.. it happens in football as well.. money talks and that is just the way that it goes sadly thee is very little you cn do about it..

Saitn Toppy: i could have sworn it wasa franchise point for having an acadmey structure up to standard xyz but i may well be wrong..

I know what you are saying, but I feel a full range of academies at Leigh could either bankrupt the club and could also disrupt amateur youth set-ups

Perhaps academies at all 30-odd clubs should be protected funding with sky money?

#24 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jun 9 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what you are saying, but I feel a full range of academies at Leigh could either bankrupt the club and could also disrupt amateur youth set-ups

Perhaps academies at all 30-odd clubs should be protected funding with sky money?

probelm is wth "protected funing with sky money" is that if you protect x amount then that is just simply x amount that clubs are given for the acadmey rather than being allowed to spend it on what they like.. which is fie and makes sure that academies are funded but it wont save the club from bankruptcy becuase if it worries you that diverting x amount wto the academy will bankrupt the club then all you are doing by "protected funding" is saying you HAVE to divert x to the academy but now you are getting funding-x from sky for the rest of te club.. so it goes bankrup.. if they cannot survive with out the money that an academy costs then it doesnt matter if it is protected funding or not you still go bankrupt.it would be the same moeny but you would be forced to move it around rather than doing it by choice.

disrupt amateur youth set ups.. does it everywhere else there is a youth academy? maybe it does i dont know but i would be suprised.

#25 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Jun 9 2010, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently No 12 is Adam Lawton, and he is almost 17 ! ohmy.gif

What part of Furness is h from exactly tongue.gif

Good video, thanks.

#26 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

I understand that both the Catalans and the Crusaders will participate in the C Group playing home and away - 8 matches - against Hull FC, Huddersfield and Salford starting from next month. The Catalans played four friendly matches last year at this age group so real progress for them here.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#27 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Jun 9 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What part of Furness is h from exactly tongue.gif

Good video, thanks.

He is from Widnes, played for the Widnes St Maries amateur team. Seems to be a lot of the old green eyed monster going around about our youth team. Leigh bemoaning the fact that unconnected amateur sides in the region don't count (even though we have plenty of those) and Barrow actually setting one up this year to follow in our footsteps. Hope you wont simply be poaching the hell out of workington, that would be low.

#28 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

There's very few players from Workington to poach, Maryport's the real hotbed in their area

#29 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jun 10 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems to be a lot of the old green eyed monster going around about our youth team.
Barrow actually setting one up this year to follow in our footsteps.
Hope you wont simply be poaching the hell out of workington, that would be low.

1, Really, who ?
2, Just evolving the club.
3, Considering the number of Barrow kids travelling up the coast on their own time and at great expense 2 or 3 nights per week, I think plenty would sign up with their home town club once they form their own Academy, Nothing low about it, plain comonsense.

0/10

#30 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

why has this thread degenerated into a slanging match? surely the prowess of the widnes kids is something we can all be proud of, it just shows that youth development is the way forward for ALL clubs not just the top flight.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jun 11 2010, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. why has this thread degenerated into a slanging match?

2. surely the prowess of the widnes kids is something we can all be proud of, it just shows that youth development is the way forward for ALL clubs not just the top flight.

Because the likes of Bulletproof and you (having a go at Bradford's academy set up) are crowing away because the Widnes academy is doing well.

Academies are full of players that don't make it and only the odd player each season feeds into the SL squads. The standard academy is played at is quite low according to a number of professional coaches, so Widnes doing well in the academy won't neccessarily translate to them doing well in SL.

You two eh? (Or you one wink.gif )

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Jun 11 2010, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because the likes of Bulletproof and you (having a go at Bradford's academy set up) are crowing away because the Widnes academy is doing well.

Academies are full of players that don't make it and only the odd player each season feeds into the SL squads. The standard academy is played at is quite low according to a number of professional coaches, so Widnes doing well in the academy won't neccessarily translate to them doing well in SL.

You two eh? (Or you one wink.gif )

having a go at the bradord academy? surely it was about signing a rd rate aussie scrum half.

did i mention us doing well in super league? all widnes fans have been proud of our academy for years now. ok most kids don't make it but its worth it when you find a richie myler sam tompkins or kyle eastmond
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#33 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,858 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jun 11 2010, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all widnes fans have been proud of our academy for years now.

As everyone on this forum probably is. I still like to make a list of the Widnes local products 1970-1990. You can get a whole great britain team out of that.

Hope it goes back to that level VW.....

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Jun 11 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As everyone on this forum probably is. I still like to make a list of the Widnes local products 1970-1990. You can get a whole great britain team out of that.

Hope it goes back to that level VW.....

so do i parky, even after the vaughan disaster the fans priority was to keep the academy going. youth development should be paramount for every club not just a few.

#35 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

The 18's have just completed the double over Leeds, beating them 32-20. They also beat Saints last week. I think that's about 7 wins on the bounce for them. Things are looking good.

It's a pity the First Team arn't doing as well rolleyes.gif ( although we have put our money into the Junior Structures rather than the First Team )
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#36 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Jul 17 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 18's have just completed the double over Leeds, beating them 32-20. They also beat Saints last week. I think that's about 7 wins on the bounce for them. Things are looking good.

It's a pity the First Team arn't doing as well rolleyes.gif ( although we have put our money into the Junior Structures rather than the First Team )

Your first team are in a final tomorrow!! What more do you want????

The investment in the younger players is great and long may in continue, lets hope you get SL status or having these kids will mean you lose them if your a championship side cool.gif

#37 Johnny Rocco

Johnny Rocco
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Widnes u18's 30 Hull KR u18s 22

Thats 3 from 3 in this phase of the season for the Vikings! cool.gif

#38 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

I hope they get a couple of players in the England Academy side, imo Alex Gerrard and Tom Kelly must be a chance of making the squad.

Adam Lawton is a year younger so he might get his chance next season.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#39 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Emosi Koloto @ Jul 25 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they get a couple of players in the England Academy side, imo Alex Gerrard and Tom Kelly must be a chance of making the squad.

I thought the Squad had alreay been announced, with no Vikings players included ?

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#40 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

I don't understand the bitterness that these threads decend into.

Widnes are a hotbed of RL and are doing great work in maintaining this and therefore should be commended.

Fans posting that this should mean a licence is as daft a lobby suggesting Leigh get one for the shape of the stadium.

Widnes are building and have some great points towards a bid, the on field performance this season isn't what they would want but then others have weaknesses as well.

Why can't we just celebrate and leae it at that. We are too quick to run our sport down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users