Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fantastic News that shows how important the Challenge Cup is

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

WARRINGTON WOLVES has followed up its Challenge Cup triumph last summer with something almost as rare – a profit.

The Super League club’s victory at Wembley, its first major trophy since 1974, was a major factor in a 19% increase in Warrington Sports Holdings’ turnover, to £5.74m.

It made a marginal profit, of £27,800, in the year to November 2009, compared with a loss of £348,000 a year earlier.

Reaching the Challenge Cup Final for the first time since 1990 had a massive and immediate effect on revenues, with the club taking £500,000 in just three days through ticket and merchandise sales.

http://www.liverpool...92534-26944440/

Just shows how important the Challenge Cup is to clubs, despite its knockers!

Warrington are booming at the moment and I think all will agree it is fantastic for the game that we have a club like this in our great game. biggrin.gif

#2 Philippe Barrau

Philippe Barrau
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

and the cap ?

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jul 28 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WARRINGTON WOLVES has followed up its Challenge Cup triumph last summer with something almost as rare – a profit.

The Super League club’s victory at Wembley, its first major trophy since 1974, was a major factor in a 19% increase in Warrington Sports Holdings’ turnover, to £5.74m.

It made a marginal profit, of £27,800, in the year to November 2009, compared with a loss of £348,000 a year earlier.

Reaching the Challenge Cup Final for the first time since 1990 had a massive and immediate effect on revenues, with the club taking £500,000 in just three days through ticket and merchandise sales.

http://www.liverpool...92534-26944440/

Just shows how important the Challenge Cup is to clubs, despite its knockers!

Warrington are booming at the moment and I think all will agree it is fantastic for the game that we have a club like this in our great game. biggrin.gif

Semi-on again Wendall? rolleyes.gif

Enjoy the occasion BTW and watch out for the Dragons!

#4 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Scubby @ Jul 28 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Semi-on again Wendall? rolleyes.gif

Enjoy the occasion BTW and watch out for the Dragons!

This is a good news story, not many in RL at the mo.

And Wire will be ready for the semi final, the loss last week will ensure no complacency by the Special One this time .

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

Personally I think the figures could have been much better had they not taken their eye off marketing the SL games rather than focusing on the Cup solely. Without the Cup factor it would have been another big loss, we shouldn't be working to a budget which includes CC success.

#6 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

average SL crowds post the cup win havent changed much

fairly poor crowds given a new stadium

#7 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 28 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes but the stadium is 85% full every week, what more do you want?

If you look at pre HJ Stadium we were getting 6,000 a week, so we have gained an extra 5,000 fans.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 28 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There has been an 18% increase, at a time when many are falling, with a full house to come on Saturday.

It is our highest average crowd since 2005, when we had recently moved into our stadium, and is the 5th highest in the league.

#9 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Jul 28 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes but the stadium is 85% full every week, what more do you want?

If you look at pre HJ Stadium we were getting 6,000 a week, so we have gained an extra 5,000 fans.

no competition from premier league soccer or union

brand new stadium

CC final win

crowds at 11,000?

= fail

#10 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 28 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

brand new stadium

CC final win

crowds at 11,000?

= fail

You'd think Warrington had dominated Rugby League for the last year the way Wendell carries on...

Or that anyone outside the hamlet of Warrington cares.
Posted Image

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

brand new stadium

CC final win

crowds at 11,000?

= fail

Indeed. Now if we could just get most of the other clubs to become as big failures as us, the league would be in pretty good shape.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 28 2010, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd think Warrington had dominated Rugby League for the last year the way Wendell carries on...

Or that anyone outside the hamlet of Warrington cares.
When other clubs make profits or losses we get threads on those too.

IMHO another example of Wendall not actually being the issue. Perfectly valid thread.

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Sale Sharks and Wigan Athletic aren't that far away.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#14 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Its still a bad sign,when Clubs rely on getting to the Challenge Cup Final,or the Grand Final,just to break even.That means that Clubs failing to do so,inevitable lose money.Clubs should budget to break even,by having a 'moderate' season,not a highly successful one.

Incidentally,it we wish to reatain the importance of the Challenge Cup Final,it should always be referred to as the Carnegie Challenge Cup Final bu administrators,players,supporters,journalists etc.Thats one reason for the success of the Heineken Cup and the Guinness Premier(about to change to Aviva).Hemmings is one of the worst culprits in this regard,but is far from the only one.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (cookey @ Jul 28 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its still a bad sign,when Clubs rely on getting to the Challenge Cup Final,or the Grand Final,just to break even.That means that Clubs failing to do so,inevitable lose money.Clubs should budget to break even,by having a 'moderate' season,not a highly successful one.

Incidentally,it we wish to reatain the importance of the Challenge Cup Final,it should always be referred to as the Carnegie Challenge Cup Final bu administrators,players,supporters,journalists etc.Thats one reason for the success of the Heineken Cup and the Guinness Premier(about to change to Aviva).Hemmings is one of the worst culprits in this regard,but is far from the only one.

Do footballers call it the F.A cup sponsored by Eon, no, just the F.A cup.
Why should it be any different with the Challenge Cup?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#16 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

This isn't bad news, but you can look at this both ways. We made money because we won the Cup/we only made money because we won the Cup. As with all these figures, they can only be made sense of in full when the ownership structure and the owner's capacity to pay is taken into account. With rich owners committed to the club avoiding making big losses is key. Without that, then the figures could look really worrying. In Wire's case, their crowds are incomparably better than in Wilderspool days, as they are in Hull, which is very good news.
I have looked for the obligatory anti-Wigan dig, but it is too sor me.
I did enjoy the emphasis on the wonder of the Cup. This time last week, the Cup was merely one part of an inevitible treble.

#17 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 28 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sale Sharks and Wigan Athletic aren't that far away.

c'mon

sale if anything would be classed as a competitor to salford

and wigan athelitcs closest competition is the warriors.

until the HJ is expanded and warrington can average 15,000 i think its nothing to brag about

#18 TWD

TWD
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

On top of the profit I also believe the accounts indicate that over £300k of debt has been paid-off (and this wasn't by cancelling of director's loans). I think the accounts reveal the clubs overdraft at the bank as being over £350k at the beginning of the year in question (2009) whilst by the end of the year it was less than £20k.

I also assume that Myler's and Atkins' transfer fees are included as expenditure in the year so all in all not a bad set of figures to release.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (TWD @ Jul 28 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On top of the profit I also believe the accounts indicate that over £300k of debt has been paid-off (and this wasn't by cancelling of director's loans). I think the accounts reveal the clubs overdraft at the bank as being over £350k at the beginning of the year in question (2009) whilst by the end of the year it was less than £20k.

I also assume that Myler's and Atkins' transfer fees are included as expenditure in the year so all in all not a bad set of figures to release.
Yep, my frustration was around the complete lack of effort the club made last year in promoting regular SL games. I feel the figures could have been much better, but you are right with the points you make.

I was going to make a point about transfer fees etc. and the fact that as long as it is investments which are leading to a loss as opposed to basic running costs, then it is a good situation to be in.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 28 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
c'mon

sale if anything would be classed as a competitor to salford

and wigan athelitcs closest competition is the warriors.

until the HJ is expanded and warrington can average 15,000 i think its nothing to brag about
Why would you set a benchmark that very very few clubs have ever achieved in SL?

Surely clubs should be aiming for the 10k average as a starter, followed by steady growth?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users