Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Favourite RL experience

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,921 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Millman @ Jul 30 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another fire was it?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
that is the funniest thing I've read on here.
well played.
faith in the forum almost but not quite restored.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

I suppose my greatest RL experience was actually playing the game. Only at U17 level. But that feeling of strung up nervousness just before the ko is something I've never duplicated in my life except for standing at the altar.
AS Chris says JIffy's try was memorable. As was his try against NZ at Headingley in 1993 - I was standing on the St Michaels Lane terrace, it was raining, and I suddenly saw this blur getting bigger and bigger, it was Jiffy coming the length of the field to score.
Another eye opener - same ground - 1978, the Aussie no 11 (Reddy?) went the length of the field and no one laid a hand on him. Unbelievable! The start of Aussie dominance for me.
Fev beating 'Fax with only 11 men in the 1991 Regal Trophy was one of my all time highs.
I enjoyed us beating Bradford in 1973, and I enjoyed us beating Hull in 1983. But I reckon the Wembley experience was vastly overated. I missed the semi at Headingley in '83 (wedding) but the away tie at Saints was magic - Johnny Gilbert's try.
I've been to Old Trafford for Premiership Finals, Grand Finals and Test Matches. It's a fantastic ground - truly the Theatre of Dreams, magic atmosphere - knocks the old Wembley for six IMO. (and me a Man U hater wink.gif )
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#23 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

1988 Challenge Cup Final - Wigan v Halifax, my first trip to Wembley.

Standing up in the end opposite the old tunnel end with hardly a enough room to breath and hearing a chap coming up the steps behind us banging one of those chest mounted large drums you normally only see on walking days that require a good six foot of clearance either side to give it a good whack!

Stunning day, stunning weekend and the sort of thing that led to many sleepless nights between the semi-final and final, them were the days!

#24 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Agree with the others on here about the French experience, and mine would maybe be going to Catalans v Hull FC in 2006.

On my way from Carcassonne airport to Perpignan, we took a detour off the autoroute into Lezignan and visited the Moulin. Was made very welcome by the club and had a wander around the ground. I was particularly impressed with the murals along the terrace that tell the history of the club. Well worth a visit, then on to Canet for an afternoon on the beach, before a night out round Perpignan.

Next day was the game (played in Narbonne), then another night out round Perpignan.

The third day was the French Championship Final between Toulouse Olympique and SM Pia in Toulouse. Took a detour via Carcassonne to visit Stade Albert Domec and see the statue of Puig Aubert and have lunch in the citadel. At the match we had hospitality - which was fantastic - and stuck around for the post match presentations.

A cracking weekend.

More recently I had a weekend in Nantes to see France "B" v the National Conference Eagles, which was a brilliant alternative international to the England v France game in Leigh, which was played the same day. With Breton bagpipes, a noisy crowd, commemorative wine and a homebaking stand set up by the WAGs at Bretagne Nantes XIII there wasn't a dish of lobby in sight.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#25 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

My first memories are the wooden rattle and scarves being ready on the sideboard for my dad and brothers to take with them to the game - I didn't get to go then , and didn't really know where they were going

Watching the 1971 CC win over Leeds on my dads Aunty Ediths colour telly

Watching the BBC2 floodlit games on telly

Then from 1976 into the early 80s I regularly went to home games at Hilton Park with my teenage mates either railway end or in the upper stand and had the pleasure of watching John Woods, Des Drummond, Steve Donlan, Joe Walsh, Mick Stacey, Terry Bilsbury, Dave Eckersley, Mick Hogan etc etc....mainly the backs caught my eye wink.gif

Cups of soup to keep me warm

Lads being 'big' shouting at opposition from Widnes, Wigan etc etc....me running the opposite way when they ran towards each other

I did go to the odd game between then and 2004, mainly when my brother Steve (who was at school with a lot of the above players, and broke his jaw playing at Hilton Park for St Marys) decided to go to the odd game home and away - I remember one cup tie at Hull KR and being abused on my way out and thinking never again. I was dead proud of my brother for standing up to them and keeping an arm around me

So I got married and had my two kids ( who came and will always come before any sport or anything else) and dropped out of the RL scene. I decided in 2004 that I should never have dropped the game and with Leigh having success I suppose I bandwaggoned(sp) and bought 4 STs for the family for Christmas - I went to all the games - my ex and daughter did a few, and my lad lasted the longest. Sorry to say even he hasn't stuck at it, but he does go when I do

Separated and divorced

And so to my fav experience - nothing to do with an actual game - having logged into here and met some lovely people over the years, and via them I met Lee, first chatting on Christmas Day 2007 comparing our sad Christmas Day meals of his pizza and my crumpets ...and here I am, now living in Huddersfield with him...all via TGG

you can stop the Simon Bates music now

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

My mini-tour of treiziste-land last week. Carcassonne, Limoux, Perpignan (of course) and Toulouse. Special.

Travelling 7 hours on a coach from Brussels to watch Catalans-Saints at Wembley in 2007. Awesome day.

Wembley last year.

Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Just Browny @ Jul 30 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mini-tour of treiziste-land last week. Carcassonne, Limoux, Perpignan (of course) and Toulouse. Special.

Travelling 7 hours on a coach from Brussels to watch Catalans-Saints at Wembley in 2007. Awesome day.

Wembley last year.

Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool.

Tonga - NZ, Yes indeed, one of the best games i've ever seen....Wow what a match.

#28 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Jeez, so many.
Far too numerous over the years, both as a low grade amateur player and fan of Wires, and TGG as a whole.

1 special moment came when I drove a minibusload to Wigan for the final test vs NZ.
1 lad, not a full tool box came along, and as the players trooped off at HT asked my very loudly how many more halves were there after this one....?
I felt 20,000 sympathetic eyes staring at me.
My first trip to Wembley (74), Greg's try at Wembley (90), the Sportman's Dinner when I bought "Dessie's shirt" and he then denied all knowledge of it, oh ffs I could ramble for hours here.

It's not the greatest game for nothing.... cool.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#29 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jul 30 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first trip to Wembley (74),

When Murphy robbed us dry.gif
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#30 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 30 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Murphy robbed us dry.gif

When Bobby Wanbon strolled to the blindside if a brawl and laid out Keith Bridges, and strolled back again.
He had the video when he owned my local, and we had a "private viewing" with locked doors, curtains closed, bar open.
Happy days.
The pub was the Howley.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#31 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 978 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Dozens of fantastic memories covering more than five decades but one of the best has to be 4th November 2006, Nobby's team kicking the Aussies' arses at Aussie Stadium.

The Leon Pryce tribute song, 'I'd rather be in Blackpool than Bondi'

Singing 'we can see you sneaking out' when 12000 miles from home.

Got p*ss wet through and couldn't have cared less. Great night.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Jul 30 2010, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
having logged into here and met some lovely people over the years, and via them I met Lee, first chatting on Christmas Day 2007 comparing our sad Christmas Day meals of his pizza and my crumpets ...and here I am, now living in Huddersfield with him...all via TGG

Who says glamour is dead? laugh.gif

wink.gif

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#33 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

Watching GB win in Melbourne, great night.

Widnes v Canberra

Beating Wakey at Odsal in the 1975 semi to make Wembley for my first visit.

Any game against Warrington in the seventies or eighties was usually memorable for something that went on on the pitch or off it, or both.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#34 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

1. Winning at wembley

2. Relegating widnes in their "tin potty" stadium by beating them 60-16 in 2005.

3. Winning 10-0 at Barrow in the cup in 2002. Came home and had to call the doctor out. Heating in the house on full,3 duvet's around me but still shivering. Made to stand in a red hot shower by the doc for 30 mins to try to stop hyperthermia(thanks barrow!).

Edited by Wilderspoolmemories, 30 July 2010 - 09:48 PM.

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Just Browny @ Jul 30 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tonga-NZ at Wilderspool.

Good call. Hearing 8 thousand locals chanting 'Tonga! Tonga!' was outstanding, and again, gave a glimpse of what the game would be like if we had a true International game.

#36 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

forgot the play-off win at leeds.
foxes or poor people?

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

January.

The anticipation is always the favourite moment for me, Super League is never dull but the weeks leading up to kick off is like having a brand new carpet.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 30 2010, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good call. Hearing 8 thousand locals chanting 'Tonga! Tonga!' was outstanding, and again, gave a glimpse of what the game would be like if we had a true International game.

PNG and Tonga drawing at the Boulevard was also a cracker.

rldfsignature.jpg

#39 widnesvikings

widnesvikings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

wembley 1975 beating wire,travelled to wembley on a wire coach total silence all the way home,and all the 30 odd widnes finals during my time of being a widnes fan.the 1989 widnes team was the most exciting team i ever saw play rugby league.
Posted Image
WIDNES VIKINGS CHESHIRES MOST FAMOUS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users