Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

At least one Super League club to lose licence in 2011

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#61 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 4 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Widnes have the potential to destroy the current Castleford and Wakefield average crowds.

Well do you know what? Castleford and Wakefield have the potential to destroy the current Castleford and Wakefield average crowds as well.
Perhaps you can help yourself out by listing all the clubs who can make the same boast.
Holding on to two ideas at once can be difficult can't it.

#62 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

For the record I meant averages. Talking about individual crowds is useless, heck I'm sure even Salford or Quins could drag a big crowd out from somewhere in the distant past.

#63 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 4 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Salford can count themselves really lucky

Give it a rest

#64 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 4 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Salford should count themselves extremely lucky

Another, yawn

#65 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 4 2010, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Salford wont make one iota of difference.

More arrogance

#66 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 4 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering they are a stones throw away from arguably the world's biggest sports club they will ignore them much the same as the people of Salford do.

Hes at it again

#67 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 4 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our previous super league average,

Ahah - A club in existence 2 years and has never been in SL. Maybe you might understand now what Liquidation means. End of.

#68 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Segovia Carpet @ Aug 4 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahah - A club in existence 2 years and has never been in SL. Maybe you might understand now what Liquidation means. End of.

Any Building work started yet Sergovia ?

And i don't mean clearing the ground with Tonka Trucks, i mean actual building work ie Framework, Bricks & Mortar etc................
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#69 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Obsessed. laugh.gif

Why don't you go away, learn how to use the quote function correctly, take a few long breaths and calm down and then if you think you've got anything interesting to say for a change come back and we'll talk.

#70 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Considering these licences are for March 2012-2015, I think Salford City Reds are safe because they say that their stadium will be completed for December 2011, and thus ready for the 2012 season.

The thing is though is that I hear of so many building projects, stadiums included, that far outlast their designated schedule, and by proposing building work to be October 2010-December 2011 with a few months contingency I still think the Reds may be cutting it tight. Certainly if their stadium is not ready for the 2012 opening match, if they are given a licence, they'll be uproar. Time will tell I suppose.

#71 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 4 2010, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any Building work started yet Sergovia ?

And i don't mean clearing the ground with Tonka Trucks, i mean actual building work ie Framework, Bricks & Mortar etc................

No Jack - starts in the Autumn - 62 week build.

#72 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 4 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Obsessed. laugh.gif

Why don't you go away, learn how to use the quote function correctly, take a few long breaths and calm down and then if you think you've got anything interesting to say for a change come back and we'll talk.

No I'm OK thanks but I just wanted to point out the continuous prejudice you seem to have concerning the Reds.

Its been the same for 2 years as you have blamed Salford for Widnes missing out on the Franchise.

As my 'quote' says which I have shortened for succinct prose (do you like that?) I merely highlighted your continuing diatribe which presumably will only ever stop when Widnes succeed in their bid.

Widnes have a lot of work to do and players to contract before their credibility passes the test.

#73 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

George Riley has blogged his opinion on the matter
linky

interesting comments about the Wakefield chairman meeting with the RFL - see just under the picture

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#74 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Just a little question about the Widnes fans' baiting Salford for their lack of a new stadium. Didn't Halton Council build (with EU money) your ground for you? While your club was going bust (again) spunking money up the wall on ###### players.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#75 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Dirk Diggler @ Aug 4 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well do you know what? Castleford and Wakefield have the potential to destroy the current Castleford and Wakefield average crowds as well.
Perhaps you can help yourself out by listing all the clubs who can make the same boast.
Holding on to two ideas at once can be difficult can't it.

Please explain what the hell your on about?

#76 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (nadera78 @ Aug 5 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a little question about the Widnes fans' baiting Salford for their lack of a new stadium. Didn't Halton Council build (with EU money) your ground for you? While your club was going bust (again) spunking money up the wall on ###### players.

I thought the Salford stadium was being built?

#77 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Aug 4 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless Quins sort out their financial situation, they'll be gone - as things stand at the moment, no David Hughes, no club.

The RFL have said that London is "too important" to them to let Quins 'fail' so Quins won't lose their licence. I think Salford or Cas are the most likely going on this season.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#78 Ashamanic

Ashamanic
  • Coach
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

Well, it's nice of them to finally get round to letting people know something of what is expected, rather than have people make assumptions based on half remembered comments given in press conferences three years ago.
But does this mean they are effectively saying that once you are in, you are almost certain to stay in? That they are abandoning the whole A,B,C grade licences? do current SL clubs get out of having to meet the criteria? Of course, they can't meet 1) and most would meet 5), but if any failed on 2-4, would they also not be allowed to apply?

#79 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (nadera78 @ Aug 5 2010, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know where to start with this. We've had our stadium for much longer than recent financial issues, down more to a shady businessman than our club's long term viability or spending.

And to be fair, segovia is the one overreacting. There has been absolutely no baiting from widnes fans on this thread, certainly not me which is why his overreaction is more puzzling.

#80 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 5 2010, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know where to start with this. We've had our stadium for much longer than recent financial issues, down more to a shady businessman than our club's long term viability or spending.

And to be fair, segovia is the one overreacting. There has been absolutely no baiting from widnes fans on this thread, certainly not me which is why his overreaction is more puzzling.

Maybe not "baiting" exactly, but you (Widnes fans in general) seem unable to resist having a dig at us whenever the opportunity arises. That's okay, though. We've got broad shoulders.

I would point out that the Salford fans on here are generally more restrained and take a more pragmatic (realistic) view of our club's position than certain other fans. As it happens, our current approach is very similar to Mr O'Connor's. We have identified our main failing and concentrated on fixing it. In our case, it's the ground (priority number 1) in Widnes' case, with all other boxes ticked, it's Junior Development. We seem to be making progress on our priority, as do you. When we have fixed priority number 1, we'll switch our main focus of attention to whatever is seen as priority number 2. We'll get there.

FWIW, I'd be delighted to see Widnes in SL. I'd be disappointed to see Salford lose their place, but I won't take my bat home and cry "unfair" if it happens.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users