Long lost amateur clubs

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#41 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Played against Pint & Pot a few years ago in Yorkshire Cup-Both teams sweeping the pitch for needles etc in the middle of Orchard Park. We beat them with ease that day but allegedly they had lost 3 or 4 Nutters who were banned from the club due to their violence on the pitch! We then in the next round got Norland who had many ex Pros think Rob Hutchinson and his brother and a few others and got thumped!

#42 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

I think that if you look back far enough, you can find a team who competed in the Challenge Cup under the magnificent moniker of "Twelve Apostles." I believe they were from the Leigh area, maybe a church/parish team - do any of the Lobbygobblers in here know for certain?

I wrote a piece on long gone amateur clubs in the Bramley Buffaloes v Cas Panthers Challenge Cup tie in 2008, mentioning the Twelve Apostles. I said then that they were from the St Helens, though I cannot confirm my original source.
Bramley played both Saville Green and Buslingthorpe Vale just after the War. Saville Green was in East Leeds between Burton's factory and York Road. They played just opposite the old quarry formed by the workings for the Burmantofts brick works. Indeed Burtons themselves had a team and excellent facilties at their Torre Road site.
Buslingthorpe Vale was a well know name as a team,just off Meanwood Road in Leeds, the name living on in the shape of the Bus Vale ground, home of so many memorable amateur finals.
In Leeds there was also the famous Market District Boys Club. Yes it was in the Leeds city centre near to the market. It had links with Bramley as a provider of "Intermediates" as they were then termed (later Colts, today Academy), but it was like Hunslet Boys Club, a club that concentrated and went up to this age group. Most famous (or is it infamous!) product has to be League Express amateur RL correspondant Phil Hodgson. Only joking Phil!
I am sure that Phil can shed more light.
As to Angelo's recollections of Brassmoulders the spirit of "Brassy" lingers on in the corridors of Hunslet Warriors , along with that of Bisons.
There were of course pub and working men's club teams popping up and disappearing with great regularity. Bramley Social lasted until just a few years ago, playing off Leeds and Bradford Road. In some senses West Leeds ARLFC are probably the successors.One team I had a particular affection for and connection to was the Brookfield team, playing from the Brookfield pub on Hunslet Road. One of the nearest pubs to Tetley's Brewery was the proud boast of landlord Mick Paine, himself part of a strong RL family.
Mick was a sponsor and supporter of the Hunslet Boys Club teams and a regular participant on our trips to France.
He was keen to see his lads get a slice of the French action, so I organised in the 1980's a match between the Brookfield and Toulouse Municipality RL team. They were mainly from the Toulouse Municipal RU club, but in those days there was a tradition of organising local authority RL tiourneys, featuring teams from local authorities and other public bodies.
The Toulouse team also played at Clayton, who happily are still thriving.

#43 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Show's how important your industry was to your life that even your rugby league club was dictated by your industry, though I don't think it was as strong outside Hull

Back in the day, Reckitt's took a very dim of anybody not employed by them playing for the rugby club. Way back in pre-BARLA days there were two separate leagues in Hull, the Hull Works league and the Hull and District league and IIRC they didn't play fixtures against each other.

A lot of the works teams were formed at firms who had been founded by old school philanthropic capitalists such as Reckitt's. They always had superb facilities and immaculate pitches. The pitches at Fenners, Reckitt's and BP pitches were like bowling greens. That sense of responsibility for the well-being of their workforce is long gone. A victim of the drive to eliminate fixed costs.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#44 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Wasn't he involved with Bisons but weren't they a works team?

I remember knocking them out of the Yorkshire Cup at their place. The grimmest ground I've ever played on.

Made Stonebridge on Greatfield look nice.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#45 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

Back in the day, Reckitt's took a very dim of anybody not employed by them playing for the rugby club. Way back in pre-BARLA days there were two separate leagues in Hull, the Hull Works league and the Hull and District league and IIRC they didn't play fixtures against each other.

Cumberland and 'Manchester' still had works leagues when BARLA was formed. Seems bizarre now but guess things have changed. There wasn't much emphasis on juniors then which I guess is the logical consequence of works and pub teams.

#46 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

If you're wondering why I suddenly got a load of information: http://www.totalrl.c...efunct-winners/

Couldn't link it earlier on my Ipod

The Kingston upon Hull league in 1975-76 consisted of

Ace Amateurs
Albion
Bass North
Beecroft & Wightman
Birds Eye
Broady's
Cawoods
City Transport
Concorde
Corporation Telephones
Fenners
Grange
Hellyers
Hull Co-op
Ideal Standard
Metal Box
Mysons
Newlander Caravans
NDLB
Papropack
Reckitts
Sizers
Tetleys
Van Leer

24 teams, guessing that's 2 or 3 divisions

Now there's:

Premier Division:
West Hull Lions
Skirlaugh Bulls
Norland Sharks
Bransholme Dales
Parkers
Hull Dockers 'A'
Hull Wyke
East Hull Dragons

Division 1:
Duke
Embassy
Lambwath Lions
Holderness Vikings
Reckitt's
Bilton Sully's
Haworth Park
Hull Isberg
Cottingham Tigers
Norland Sharks 'A'
Beverley
Myton Warriors 'A'
Fenners
GW Horners

Obviously now West Hull, East Hull, Hull Dockers, Skirlaugh and Myton Warriors play National Conference League. Interestingly half the Premier Division is NCL reserve sides which will be interesting when they have to follow the first teams to summer (Assuming this passes at the NCL)

A few names still here after all that time, though I couldn't tell exactly how many clubs are still here and how many are new as the names have changed so much.

#47 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

If you want to see how emphatic the BARLA boom was this is probably the best place:
http://www.nwcoaarl.org.uk/

In 1975 when the North Western Counties League was formed it had just 3 divisions (it didn't then cover Barrow, Oldham or Rochdale but still that was all the amateur rugby league from the rest of Lancashire then!)

However, this went up:
4 divisions 1977
5 divisions 1978
6 divisions 1981
7 divisions 1982
8 divisions 1984
9 divisions 1986
10 divisions 1987

Wow!

it is now back down to 7 divisions but bear in mind there's now the National Conference League, Rugby League Conference and North West Merit League

#48 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Ace Amateurs
Albion
Bass North
Beecroft & Wightman
Birds Eye
Broady's
Cawoods
City Transport
Concorde
Corporation Telephones
Fenners
Grange
Hellyers
Hull Co-op
Ideal Standard
Metal Box
Mysons
Newlander Caravans
NDLB
Papropack
Reckitts
Sizers
Tetleys
Van Leer

That brings back some memories.

Must have been a hell of a job picking the Hellyers team. Most of their employees were only ashore for three days every three weeks.

#49 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

I wrote a piece on long gone amateur clubs in the Bramley Buffaloes v Cas Panthers Challenge Cup tie in 2008, mentioning the Twelve Apostles. I said then that they were from the St Helens, though I cannot confirm my original source.
Bramley played both Saville Green and Buslingthorpe Vale just after the War. Saville Green was in East Leeds between Burton's factory and York Road. They played just opposite the old quarry formed by the workings for the Burmantofts brick works. Indeed Burtons themselves had a team and excellent facilties at their Torre Road site.
Buslingthorpe Vale was a well know name as a team,just off Meanwood Road in Leeds, the name living on in the shape of the Bus Vale ground, home of so many memorable amateur finals.
In Leeds there was also the famous Market District Boys Club. Yes it was in the Leeds city centre near to the market. It had links with Bramley as a provider of "Intermediates" as they were then termed (later Colts, today Academy), but it was like Hunslet Boys Club, a club that concentrated and went up to this age group. Most famous (or is it infamous!) product has to be League Express amateur RL correspondant Phil Hodgson. Only joking Phil!
I am sure that Phil can shed more light.
As to Angelo's recollections of Brassmoulders the spirit of "Brassy" lingers on in the corridors of Hunslet Warriors , along with that of Bisons.
There were of course pub and working men's club teams popping up and disappearing with great regularity. Bramley Social lasted until just a few years ago, playing off Leeds and Bradford Road. In some senses West Leeds ARLFC are probably the successors.One team I had a particular affection for and connection to was the Brookfield team, playing from the Brookfield pub on Hunslet Road. One of the nearest pubs to Tetley's Brewery was the proud boast of landlord Mick Paine, himself part of a strong RL family.
Mick was a sponsor and supporter of the Hunslet Boys Club teams and a regular participant on our trips to France.
He was keen to see his lads get a slice of the French action, so I organised in the 1980's a match between the Brookfield and Toulouse Municipality RL team. They were mainly from the Toulouse Municipal RU club, but in those days there was a tradition of organising local authority RL tiourneys, featuring teams from local authorities and other public bodies.
The Toulouse team also played at Clayton, who happily are still thriving.

In the sixties I played U17 for Ossett Trinity, who seem to have disappeared from the fixture list recently. We played in the Dewsbury and Batley League against teams from Chickenley (now defunct) Thonhill (still thriving) Shaw Cross (who ran five teams 3 U19 2 U17) Staincliffe, and Batley Supporters. The rest of our fixtures were friendlies against teams like Corpus Christi, Market District from Leeds, Glasshoughton, Clayton. We also played a team from York (could have been Heworth) and the pitch was in the centre of York Raceourse. Having read his book I'm sure I must have played against Stevo, but I can't say I remember him.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#50 D34n0

D34n0
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

http://www.penninele...ex.php?team=117

Ossett trinity play in the penine league

#51 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

http://www.penninele...ex.php?team=117

Ossett trinity play in the penine league

Well that's good to know, I put them into Google and none of the links came up with anything.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,097 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

There is an article about Reckitts in the forthcoming issue of 'RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD'.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#53 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Wasn't he involved with Bisons but weren't they a works team?

Yes in theory, linked to Bisons Floors originally I believe, at Stourton. But I think that like many teams based on "works" or companies, the link was loosened, and it became a club in its own right.
Most well known former Bisons player was Mick Appleyard, who captained the first GB BARLA Tour to the Pacific.
Like Brassmoulders the spirit of Bisons lingers in the Hunslet Warriors.

#54 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

If you're wondering why I suddenly got a load of information: http://www.totalrl.c...efunct-winners/

Couldn't link it earlier on my Ipod

Ace Amateurs
Albion
Bass North
Beecroft & Wightman
Birds Eye
Broady's
Cawoods
City Transport
Concorde
Corporation Telephones
Fenners
Grange
Hellyers
Hull Co-op
Ideal Standard
Metal Box
Mysons
Newlander Caravans
NDLB
Papropack
Reckitts
Sizers
Tetleys
Van Leer

24 teams, guessing that's 2 or 3 divisions

Newlander is another early incarnation of Myton Warriors.

rldfsignature.jpg

#55 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Was Triangle Valve from Triangle or was it a company team? My father's business bought a company called Triangle about 30 years ago - they made actuators and valves.

Triangle Valve was an engineering works in Wigan, i don't know if they had branches elsewhere.

#56 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

I think that if you look back far enough, you can find a team who competed in the Challenge Cup under the magnificent moniker of "Twelve Apostles." I believe they were from the Leigh area, maybe a church/parish team - do any of the Lobbygobblers in here know for certain?

Twelve Apostles were Leigh based and were a parish team, the Twelve Apostles social club is on WestLeigh road on the junction with Nell Pan Lane.

#57 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,974 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Well that's good to know, I put them into Google and none of the links came up with anything.

Basically the Pennine League took the top clubs from the Yorkshire League (apart from Hunslet Warriors who went NCL and Fryston for some reason I'm not aware) and as division 1 champions that included Ossett Trinity. Basically the Premier Division had failed due to huge standard gaps and loads of sides dropping out every year so they needed to sort out the mess.

#58 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Ace Amateurs
Albion
Bass North
Beecroft & Wightman
Birds Eye
Broady's
Cawoods
City Transport
Concorde
Corporation Telephones
Fenners
Grange
Hellyers
Hull Co-op
Ideal Standard
Metal Box
Mysons
Newlander Caravans
NDLB
Papropack
Reckitts
Sizers
Tetleys
Van Leer

As in the Metal Box Company? The house I live in (in Acton, west London) was built by the Metal Box Company. They had a factory round the corner and built an estate for their workforce. Eventually the houses were sold off, so too the freehold on the flats. The Factory was closed later too.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#59 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

There was a Metal Box company in Hull at that time Nad.

rldfsignature.jpg

#60 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

I remember a team that used to play /train on the Hackney Marshes (behind the Lesneys toy factory) in the early 80's. There was also a Metal Box Company in Hackney as I remember.
Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users