Sign in to follow this  
Wandering pete

Grounds where you have seen Barrow RL play

The Vet    67
5 hours ago, Stephen Andrews said:

I remember that game at Carlisle RU Phil, I think it was Brett Mcs debut and he absolutely smashed Stuart Rhodes who looked totally shocked that this scrawny kid had hit him so hard!! It wasnt on a par with when he flattened Barrie McDermott at CP and Barrie got up and shook his hand but it was still very impressive for a 17 year old!

The dog track at Doncaster we played at in 1996 and 1997 was called The Meadow Court Stadium and I think we lost both times, once heavily and once narrowly.

I'm pretty sure we won in a tight game (21.01.96) 16-17 but yes got slapped in the other game!

Edited by The Vet

..Doncaster Athletic track will count as an additional ground.With only (hopefully) two more away fixtures this season..it's a good time to update the list of grounds where you have seen Barrow RL play.Current total is 82(ish) ..League 1 adds another 12...excluding Oxford/Hemel/NWC/S.Wales ??.

The Championship gives a further 9...excluding current HKR/Broncos/Oldham venues with a final 7 Super Dooper stadia not Salford/Huddersfield/Sts/Hull/Catalan.

Overall total is an amazing 110 

This includes the grounds not in use ..eg NWC at Wrexham FC/Oldham -Watersheddings/Oldham FC/Whitebank...etc etc

Need to check on Hemel/ Oxford and probably a few more..!??

• Like 1

Dave W    26

Have you got both Toulouse grounds on the list? We've played them at both Stade de Minimes (in Toulouse itself) and also at the Stade Ernest Argelès in Blagnac across the river, where they've been playing while their own gtound gets redeveloped.

Mais Oui Monsieur Dave...

As follows...

Barrow,Batley,Belle Vue,Blackpool Borough(3),Blackpool FC,Bradford,Bramley(3),Cardiff(2),Carlisle(3),Castleford,Chorley(2),Coventry,

Dewsbury(2),Doncaster(4),Featherstone,Gateshead/Newcastle(4),Gloucester All Golds,Halifax(2),Highfield(2),Huddersfield(2),Hull,HKR(2),Hunslet(4),Huyton,

Keighley,Kent Invicta,Lancashire Lynx(2),Leeds,Leigh(2),Leigh Miners,Liverpool Stanley(2),London Broncos/Harlequins(5),London Skolars,Mansfield/Nottingham(4),Mayfield,North Wales Crusaders,Oldham(3),

Rochdale(2),Runcorn,St Helens,Salford,Scarborough,Sheffield(2),S.Wales,

S.Wales Crusaders,Springfield Borough,Swinton(5),Toulouse(2),Toronto,

Trafford Borough,Wakefield,Warrington(2),Wembley,West Hull,Whitehaven

Widnes,Wigan(2),York(4)

plus 3 friendlies in the West Country..Camborne/Newton Abbott/Penzance

and 3 more at Dalton,Millom and Roose

Total of 110

Edited by Wandering pete
Correction
  • Like 1

cathy0987    11

What about our friends up coast wandering Pete Workington  and also didn't we play a match at Maryport ????? it was a lot of years ago 

Cathy...yes..well spotted..Worky was on the list but missed it off my post.

Can anybody put a date to the Maryport game..??

The Vet...have Barrow played at the Galpharm../ John Smiths Stadium/Kirklees stadium yet...wasn`t sure so left it out..??

Richard B    1

Hi Pete, Barrow played Huddersfield in their very first game at what was then the McAlpine Stadium on the 28th August 1994... and I'm fairly sure you were with me!

• Like 1

Bearman    2,034
15 minutes ago, Richard B said:

Hi Pete, Barrow played Huddersfield in their very first game at what was then the McAlpine Stadium on the 28th August 1994... and I'm fairly sure you were with me!

"Nurse, NURSE, Pete's not taking his medicine again"

• Like 1

The Vet    67
20 hours ago, beachy01 said:

we played West hull at a rugby union ground in the challenge cup a few years ago, maybe around 2009??

Yes Beachy01, we played West Hull at Hull Ioanians won by about 70, 2007 I reckon

The Vet    67
13 hours ago, Richard B said:

Correct, we played in the first ever Rugby league game held there. We also played them around 2001/2002 when possibly Tony Smith coached them and were promoted to SL.

Heres some others that are so long ago only Eric Wood and Mike Ashton will remember them!!

We played 3 friendlies in 1952 and 1953 at a ground called "The Oval" inside Stanley Park, Blackpool. The games were against Salford (twice) and Huddersfield. The games were to drum up support for the soon to be elected to the rugby league, Blackpool Borough club. "The Oval" was originally going to be Boroughs home ground but they made an 11th hour decision to play at The Stadium, St Annes Road and stayed there until about 1963 when they moved to the purpose built Borough Park.

We played friendlies in 1945 (v Wigan) and 1947 (v Salford) at the Giant Axe Ground at Lancaster, both attracted good crowds and both were lost narrowly. I think we also played at least one pre war charity game there too.

We played a league game v Leigh at Holden Road Athletics Grounds, Leigh on 8/2/47 which was their temporary ground for a single season whilst Hilton Park was being built. They played at a ground called Mather Lane pre war where Barrow would have visited regularly.

Another ground we would have visited regularly until their demise in 1939 was City Road, home of St Helens Recs. The amateur club Pilkington Recs are a direct decendant of this once successful pro club.

three more grounds in the Capital were also visited in the 30s. Firstly the White City Stadium (close to QPRs Loftus Road) was visited by us when we played London Highfield in April 1934. Acton & Willesden who played at the Park Royal Stadium, Acton got a visit on 12/10/35 and we played Streatham & Mitcham twice at the Mitcham Stadium in 1936 (one of the games was farcically in the Lancashire Cup!)

Finally we played Llanelli (Welsh amateur league club) over two legs in the first round on the RL Challenge Cup in Feb 1951 winning both legs comfortably but Ive no idea what the Welsh clubs ground was called.

• Like 2

daveh    4

As Steve has taken us back to the 1930's and I'm pretty sure no one on here was alive then,gives me an excuse to take you back to Victorian England and  if u were a Barrow supporter back then you could have gone to the following to watch them play - Ambleside,(Rydal Field),Holker(in the grounds of Holker Hall),Leeds St.Johns,Leeds Parish Church,Sedbergh Grammar School and Sedbergh town,Kendal(Mints Feet?),Kendal Hornets(Maude's Meadow),Carnforth,Walton(Liverpool),Manchester(Fallow Field),Tottington,Manningham,Aspull,Mossley,Carlisle(Lismore Place),Salford(New Barns),Tyldesley,Morecambe,Heckmondwike,Egremont,Stockport,Walkden,Rochdale St. Clements,Armlet,Blackley and Blackley Rangers,Birkenhead Wanderers,Seating,Pontypridd,Devonport and Exeter.

• Like 1

On 10 August 2017 at 9:30 PM, Richard B said:

Hello Richard...good to hear from you...still can't remember being there and after an exhaustive search through assorted cardboard boxes there's no trace of a programme.Still we've established that Barrow played at the McAlpine and the Vet is correct...Huddersfield(3).

• Like 1

On 10 August 2017 at 9:47 PM, Bearman said:

"Nurse, NURSE, Pete's not taking his medicine again"

...more likely to be an overdose of Milk of Amnesia...????

• Like 1

Michael Ashton    103

I've read your message now.  My memory certainly isn't what it was. I've been attending CP since about 1957. You mention 1945 but I'll have you know I was only 4 then and didn't know the difference between RL & RU. You seem to remember many happenings before you were born, Steve.

Shipbuilder    30

Is there no one on this forum who remembers going to watch some cracking games at Cavendish Park or Little Park Roose?

Michael Ashton    103

That's amazing Dave and even Steve won't have details of those games. As far as Little Park or Cavendish Park is concerned you would have to be really old. When was the first game at Craven Park.

daveh    4
16 hours ago, Michael Ashton said:

That's amazing Dave and even Steve won't have details of those games. As far as Little Park or Cavendish Park is concerned you would have to be really old. When was the first game at Craven Park.

August 1931 they opened Craven Park - in the Union days they also played a season or two on the Parade Ground,site of the old Fire Station just off Ramsden Square,that was around 1880 !

TMF    118

Mike, you beat me to Little Park, Roose, or Ruse as Eddie used to call it. I remember the ref. They were never onside.

I dont remember them Mike, Ive just read about them haha. Daveh, if you didnt already know, is one of the authors of that interesting little booklet "Keeping the Dream Alive" so should be believed implicitly at all times and without exception!!!!His knowledge of the clubs history pre 1930 is far better than mine. The research he has done over the years is little short of amazing. One day he may share his findings with us................

Although we started out to include only those grounds where we had seen Barrow RL play it really is fascinating to see all those prewar venues...Tottington and Walkden etc...who knew..??

The overall total is then 156 ...give or take the odd one.So it's back to the original aim to see how many of those grounds you have seen Barrow RL play..??Use of a Tardis is strictly prohibited..sadly no prizes ...just  bit of fun!!

Wouldn't this be an idea for a companion publication to "Keeping the Dream Alive"...a separate entry for each ground with team details,match report etc...

Just saying....