Interesting! I haven't seen Hungary play, and don't know what kind of selection Ireland will send, but the more internationals the better.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hungary is one of the weakest sides in Europe, so this really surprises me.  I'm guessing it will be a combination of:  a very weak Irish side chosen, and Hungary hopefully bringing over a few of their heritage players from Aus to make them a bit more competitive.

18 minutes ago, Sick39ed said:

Well, we won't exactly know until the match is played. I hop it gets live-streamed like Hungary matches in the past. 

I'd definitely want to watch that!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, Gavinfrog said:

Super league clubs won't release there players for this id say it will be mostly domestic and lower level english based players

So we have a whinge because NRL clubs may prevent players taking part in the Denver game but if SL clubs are in the same situation then they won’t play ball? They can’t have it both ways. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it will be a domestic Ireland side that runs out but I’m just pointing out some possible hypocrisy on the international weekend.

rldfsignature.jpg

52 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

So we have a whinge because NRL clubs may prevent players taking part in the Denver game but if SL clubs are in the same situation then they won’t play ball? They can’t have it both ways. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure it will be a domestic Ireland side that runs out but I’m just pointing out some possible hypocrisy on the international weekend.

I mean no disrespect to Hungary, but they are barely the equivalent of a pub team.  It would be humiliating to bring the top Irish players out for this.  Even the domestic Irish players will likely put a cricket score on them.

41 minutes ago, langpark said:

I mean no disrespect to Hungary, but they are barely the equivalent of a pub team.  It would be humiliating to bring the top Irish players out for this.  Even the domestic Irish players will likely put a cricket score on them.

And I totally agree but I’m sure there will be other matches arranged for the international weekend where you would expect SL players to be chosen. I just hope the SL clubs don’t try and stop their players from participating in them.

rldfsignature.jpg

44 minutes ago, langpark said:

I guess time will tell, but I think from what I've seen in the past, SL clubs seem much more sympathetic to the international cause than NRL clubs.

If it's England then maybe. Not for other European nations.

Unless of course the reason so few of the big name players turn out regularly for Ireland is that their interest in their Irish heritage only flares up in a World Cup year.

39 minutes ago, damp squib said:

If it's England then maybe. Not for other European nations.

Unless of course the reason so few of the big name players turn out regularly for Ireland is that their interest in their Irish heritage only flares up in a World Cup year.

I think it might be a case of 'you need to pay your own way' when it's not WC, which has funding behind it.

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

If the match was sanctioned by the RLIF and was on a weekend that was free of club commitments and top players were actually requested, then they would be released I'm sure. Well, SL would but maybe not the NRL.

As has been stated, Ireland will not need top players but will use this match to develop local talent and maybe some heritage players that aren't top level. A massacre would be of no benefit to Hungary.  

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Gavinfrog said:

Just my opinion but could you see leeds releasing brad singleton and anthony mullally to play a friendly in hungary

Depends if they are in the 17 set to play or what the injury status is. Leeds have allowed Jimmy Keinhorst for example to play for Germany v Wales Dragonhearts , though it was after the season.

Archived