Vote in parliament for military action

Come on then, Mr Military Explanation Man, why were those troops left on that undefended ship when their commanders had been strongly advised to get them ashore sharpish?

Because people f*cked up.  

Or you saying it was a deliberate plan to get people killed?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on then, Mr Military Explanation Man, why were those troops left on that undefended ship when their commanders had been strongly advised to get them ashore sharpish?

A management mistake at the middle ranking officer level rather than at the top level.  The Welsh Guards officers took the risk of staying on board and waiting for a night sailing to a better landing spot rather than landing to have a long walk including over a potentially unsafe and vulnerable bridge, they even ignored a direct order from the Marines' commander to disembark.  There were understandable reasons for them staying on board that were clearly wrong when viewed with 20/20 hindsight, albeit with disastrous consequences.  An objective observer would have been hard pressed to overrule either side at the time given the tactical situation and lack of Argentinian aircraft sightings that day; it's only when you look back that you can see the disaster in the making..

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

No idea what was going through the minds of the individuals involved - clearly someone f****d up.

No, I'm saying they never owned up. And several governments have let them.

What do you mean no-one owned up?  The records of the incident and failings of management are open news and are included in more than a few security-approved autobiographies.  It even goes down to individual officers' names, the errors of their decisions and the rationale for those decisions that showed critical and career ending errors but not criminal ones.  It's one of the most openly scrutinised incidents I've ever seen in military disasters in my lifetime.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Where has anyone apologised to the soldiers and bereaved families of those Welsg Guards?

Where has Woodward, Thompson or Moore been called on to justify his actions?

There's also obfuscation as to why there was no frigate to defend the landing ships.

There's also all the pages cut out of the initial Franks Report. As I understand it, those details won't be released for another 70 years.

This thread has gone off on a tangent, and I apologise for that.

My point stands that:

-although the public is allowed to think we have some input and insight into taking military action in Syria, we don't.

- We'll get told whatever is politically expedient and the military / government will either cover up any major operational mistakes or try and cloud the evidence.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Hilary Benn was mocked in some quarters after calling ISIS facists in his closing speech at the end of the debate on intervention in Syria.  They are channelling Hitler quite closely here I think, assuming the reports are true (and I'm easily convinced that they are given their known activities to date).

How is our mission to chop the head of the snake going?  No air strikes in Syria in 9 days.  No air strikes at all using the much in demand Brimstone.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived