Vote in parliament for military action

Hillary Benn brings the house down with his speech. Whether you agree with him or not, the finest piece of oratory by far in today's debate.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't hear it but IIRC he is for bombing isn't he? Wonder what pops would have made of that...

Hillary has been very clear about it. He says that he's a Benn not a Bennite

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Agree with Max Hastings, its a political gesture.  Not an action to keep us safe.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Ayes have it...we never bloody learn

They ayes had it anyway, since we're already doing the same thing in Iraq. This debate was not about going to war as we are already at war, against ISIS.  It was simply about extending it.  We may need another such debate about Libya or other places.  This war is different from others but in all wars nothing is set in stone.

Even if it was an action to keep us safe it would be futile

That to me was the only flaw in the government's argument.  Whether we are in Syria or not will make not one jot of difference either way.  ISIS are after us anyway.

I'd vote Labour again if he was leader

He made Corbyn look like a MUPPET sat next to him holding his hands tight against his arms to stop himself from clapping like the rest of the whole House , all parties MP's that was as well .......yep at this rate Corbyn will be long gone by Easter , and if he aint then the LABOUR PARTY could well be LONG GONE with him in charge

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Hillary Benn brings the house down with his speech. Whether you agree with him or not, the finest piece of oratory by far in today's debate.

Yes, I'm sure it was roundly applauded by the innocent Syrian residents whose homes will be under the bombs.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Yes, I'm sure it was roundly applauded by the innocent Syrian residents whose homes will be under the bombs.

Not likely from British bombs.

Unlike the Americans & Russians the RAF are pretty selective  and dont drop their payload unless they're absolutely certain they're only going to hit the intended target.

In Iraq they've flown 1600 missions but only dropped their ordnance 384 times because of target uncertainty and collateral damage risk

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

He made Corbyn look like a MUPPET sat next to him holding his hands tight against his arms to stop himself from clapping like the rest of the whole House , all parties MP's that was as well .......yep at this rate Corbyn will be long gone by Easter , and if he aint then the LABOUR PARTY could well be LONG GONE with him in charge

Well judging by your nickname, what you and your fellow Roughyeds do today could have some bearing on that.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Not likely from British bombs.

Unlike the Americans & Russians the RAF are pretty selective  and dont drop their payload unless they're absolutely certain they're only going to hit the intended target.

In Iraq they've flown 1600 missions but only dropped their ordnance 384 times because of target uncertainty and collateral damage risk

lol,

yes I take it you heard the propaganda on 5Live this morning too then? Something along the lines of "western bombs are much more sophisticated and surgical so there's nothing to be concerned about whereas Russian bombs are very crude and callous and blow up lots of innocent civilians" etc etc

lol,

yes I take it you heard the propaganda on 5Live this morning too then? Something along the lines of "western bombs are much more sophisticated and surgical so there's nothing to be concerned about whereas Russian bombs are very crude and callous and blow up lots of innocent civilians" etc etc

No, there's more to it than the weaponry in use, it's also about operational decisions around when and where to use them. As ST said:

"In Iraq they've flown 1600 missions but only dropped their ordnance 384 times because of target uncertainty and collateral damage risk"

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

lol,

There is an element of truth to that.  They are using dumb bombs and Cluster munitions.  We are using guided bombs or missiles.  So ours will hit the target more than there's.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

lol,

No I was refering to the fact that the RAF exercise far more caution than the Americans & Russians do when carrying out missions. When there is any doubt about collateral damage and civilian casualties then our pilots err on the side of caution and abort the mission. American & Russian pilots no doubt exercise some degree of caution but far less than our boys do and are seemingly less concerned with civilian caualties just as long as they get their target. 

The fact that the RAF are aborting 1 in 4 missions to prevent collateral damage shows the high level of professionalism they have and the respect for the lives of non-combatants.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

There is an element of truth to that.  They are using dumb bombs and Cluster munitions.  We are using guided bombs or missiles.  So ours will hit the target more than there's.  

I'm assuming that's because the Russian frame of reference is "If it's not Assad's forces then it's a target" and so they don't actually need to be as accurate.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Cost will come into it. Dumb bombs are a hell of a lot cheaper. If you are not as bothered about being 'surgical' you can level a few houses at a fraction of the price.

Cost will come into it. Dumb bombs are a hell of a lot cheaper. If you are not as bothered about being 'surgical' you can level a few houses at a fraction of the price.

A single successful mission by a Tornado flying from Cyprus to Syria using all typically loaded missiles costs £508,000.  Or, in other words, the annual salary of 19 nurses or 20 police officers.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

A single successful mission by a Tornado flying from Cyprus to Syria using all typically loaded missiles costs £508,000.  Or, in other words, the annual salary of 19 nurses or 20 police officers.

Funny how an economic argument can be made against spending money on everything but war. :dry: 

Archived