The Photography Thread

beautiful dave

was there any brainy stuff involved?

The sky has been given a saturation boast and the orange band in the sky wasn't so bright so a hue shift and a bit of a boast for that. The mountains in the background had the contrast increased to bring them out a bit more.

The river had a red and yellow channel saturation boast to lift the reflection out a bit more.

The boat had the levels tweaked and was sharpened to bring out the detail in the tattered sail.

In essence its a lot of selective adjustments to get the desired result.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Im with ya,,, So Im looking for a better lens... Another one to slip in the bag without the missus noticing :-)

Any recommendations for about 800-1000?

You'd be able to pick up a sigma 70-200mm F2.8 for about 650 quid and can also get a 1.4 converter to give that extra bit of range (equivalent to 100-280mm F4) on brighter days for about 200 quid.

As with everything you get what you pay for but i'm shooting with the equivalent sigma for Nokia and getting ok results.

The resale values are quite good too when your ready for the next step

if you google dalephotographic they have some good deals and i can recommend them, its where I buy all my kit

hope that helps

cheers

www.matchdayphotography.com

Some cracking shots on this thread. Its quite extraordinary the images that someone with a DSLR and some good software can get. Shame I haven't got the talent or patience. Keep em coming.

mate all you need is a camera.

take some pics and post em

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

do the focal lengths for dslrs correspond with the focal lengths of 35mm slrs?

yes and no, it depends on the camera body and the sensor type it has installed.

A full frame sensor means that everything is equivelant to 35mm however these tend to be only in the more expensive Pro cameras.

Most DSLR's use what is called an APS sensor, this results in what is termed a cropping factor usually expressed as a decimal number. This is around 1.6 for my Canon, in effect you multiply the focal length of the lens by this factor. Thus your 200mm Lens becomes a 320mm lens.

I think your Nikon Chris has a cropping factor of 1.5.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

mate all you need is a camera.

take some pics and post em

Indeed. I've had a go at posting on here with photos taken with one of these:

dmc-tz7-k_1weba1001001a09a20a92548g74797.jpg

So you don't need a hugely expensive bit of kit, just get out there and get snapping!

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

005-3.jpg

Great texture in the snow and the shadow detail hasn't been lost.

Another good un Chris.

My tweeks would be to select the foreground snow and adjust the levels to bring the whites up.

I would then look at the upper portion to see if by adjusting the levels and saturation I could squeeze a bit of colour into that sky.

All personal taste of course, you may think differently.

Great texture in the snow and the shadow detail hasn't been lost.

Another good un Chris.

My tweeks would be to select the foreground snow and adjust the levels to bring the whites up.

I would then look at the upper portion to see if by adjusting the levels and saturation I could squeeze a bit of colour into that sky.

All personal taste of course, you may think differently.

I'm still a bit tentative with photoshop-elements 7.

I don't mind changing to black and white and adjusting contrast. It's a bit like using a darkroom-I forget the multi contrast paper with filters I used to use: it's been that long...but it's like that.

the one a posted as couple of pics ago is the wrong one, it isn't quite sharp, others in the series are. hey ho.

I'm really falling in love with photography again in the same way that I did with 35mm photography 30 years ago

Keeping it local

I'm still a bit tentative with photoshop-elements 7.

I don't mind changing to black and white and adjusting contrast. It's a bit like using a darkroom-I forget the multi contrast paper with filters I used to use: it's been that long...but it's like that.

the one a posted as couple of pics ago is the wrong one, it isn't quite sharp, others in the series are. hey ho.

I'm really falling in love with photography again in the same way that I did with 35mm photography 30 years ago

I took the liberty to have a go, this took less than 5 minutes to edit.

First select all the snow on the camera side of the gate with a 20px feather.

Adjust levels to bring up the whites and lift the midtones.

Desaturate the red and yellow completely and cyan by about 25%.

Adjust contrast to give a good shadow highlight balance.

Sharpen the snow with unsharp mask to make the snow look more crisp.

Inverse the selection.

Up the master saturation to bring up all the colour in the upper half.

Select just the top left around the sun with a feather of 200px

Adjust levels to tone the brightness overall and then give a bit more of a saturation boost.

Next just select the gate with a feather of around 20px and use unsharp mask to bring out the detail.

Finaly a bit of work on the left hand gate post to increase the contrast since it is a bit flat due to a touch of flare.

Ooops nearly forgot, clone out slight flare spot in middle of foreground snow.

chris_mod_sm005-3.jpg

I took the liberty to have a go, this took less than 5 minutes to edit.

First select all the snow on the camera side of the gate with a 20px feather.

Adjust levels to bring up the whites and lift the midtones.

Desaturate the red and yellow completely and cyan by about 25%.

Adjust contrast to give a good shadow highlight balance.

Sharpen the snow with unsharp mask to make the snow look more crisp.

Inverse the selection.

Up the master saturation to bring up all the colour in the upper half.

Select just the top left around the sun with a feather of 200px

Adjust levels to tone the brightness overall and then give a bit more of a saturation boost.

Next just select the gate with a feather of around 20px and use unsharp mask to bring out the detail.

Finaly a bit of work on the left hand gate post to increase the contrast since it is a bit flat due to a touch of flare.

Ooops nearly forgot, clone out slight flare spot in middle of foreground snow.

chris_mod_sm005-3.jpg

thanks dave

it's confidence thing.

I'll get there

Keeping it local

thanks dave

it's confidence thing.

I'll get there

Try playing around with the same shot doing some of the tweeks I outlined.

Just as with taking the pictures the photoshop side of things comes with practice and lots of it.

Try playing around with the same shot doing some of the tweeks I outlined.

Just as with taking the pictures the photoshop side of things comes with practice and lots of it.

after a few looks

I've decided I prefer my original

I hope this doesn't mean that I'm up my own ass

Keeping it local

after a few looks

No, it means its the type of photograph you like.

I post on a photography forum and too many people on there forget that a good image is what you like not what someone else likes. Taste is extremely individual.

In that photograph I probably overcooked the top half but I think the bottom half makes the snow look less slushy.

The thing with photoshop is that you can play around, tweek this bit, tweek that bit, step back if you don't like it or scrap the whole thing and go back to the original.

Finding your style is what its about, I have a style that involves saturated colours, this comes from my love of Greece I suspect, this doesn't always suite the great British landscape photograph.

after a few looks

Fair play - for what its worth, I like both versions, alot, Padge's as he says is probably a little over cooked in places, but for me it suits the scene on the whole.

Is playing about on photoshop, not remedial cheating? :huh:

Photographs have always been manipulated, in fact all techniques I used are based on darkroom techniques. Many of the names for image manipulation functions within photoshop are from traditional photographic techniques, burn, dodge, unsharp mask, crop, the list goes on.

One reason its necessary is that the latitude of the human eye is far greater than film or a digital sensor so techniques have been developed to compensate.

If its cheating I can live with it, Hansel Adams was one of the greatest cheats of all time.

Photographs have always been manipulated, in fact all techniques I used are based on darkroom techniques. Many of the names for image manipulation functions within photoshop are from traditional photographic techniques, burn, dodge, unsharp mask, crop, the list goes on.

One reason its necessary is that the latitude of the human eye is far greater than film or a digital sensor so techniques have been developed to compensate.

If its cheating I can live with it, Hansel Adams was one of the greatest cheats of all time.

correct

even the type of film you used, and the combination of shutter speed and f stop 'manipulates' a picture, as well as filters

I used to love working in my darkroom the ways in which you could interpret an image were salmost limitless.

Keeping it local

I did a basic course last year were a lady argued the toss that Adams photoshopped all his work she was having none of this dark room nonsense, can only imagine how wrong she felt if she went home and studied his wikipidia page taking into account when he was born etc..................!!!

I did a basic course last year were a lady argued the toss that Adams photoshopped all his work she was having none of this dark room nonsense, can only imagine how wrong she felt if she went home and studied his wikipidia page taking into account when he was born etc..................!!!

:D

Thatto Heath Crusaders going close to scoring at yesterdays National Conference game at Wigan St Pats.

5252125667_29294b7ec5.jpg

I like the dynamic created by the angles

Keeping it local