Uninteresting Trivial Facts

I won £100 of iTunes vouchers last week in a charity raffle.  I decided to treat myself to the full box-set of the Sopranos in HD as well as a few other things I've been meaning to buy for a while.  The download speed from Apple isn't exactly what you'd call fast in these days of fibre connections.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm just breaking in my final pair of Doc Martens which I found upstairs while clearing up.

Final because:

• with the wear I'm likely to give them then they probably will last my lifetime
  • I can't afford another pair (£110 !!!)
  • I can't imagine going through the agony of breaking another pair in ever again

Ow, ow and bleeding feet.

I'm just breaking in my final pair of Doc Martens which I found upstairs while clearing up.

Final because:

• with the wear I'm likely to give them then they probably will last my lifetime
  • I can't afford another pair (£110 !!!)
  • I can't imagine going through the agony of breaking another pair in ever again

Ow, ow and bleeding feet.

I'm a recent convert to Timberland. The first pair I bought were ridiculously comfortable, and I walked about two miles in them the day after they were bought. The second pair had more padding around the top of the ankle area, and I made the mistake of setting off to work in them before they were properly broken in. OUCH!

They're fine now, but my lesson was very much learnt.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You want to try Arco safety shoes. In the end, I think your feet must just give up and reshape themselves to fit the shoes.

;)

To be fair, once you are used to them the shoes are really comfortable and last for years.

I'm also currently using De Walt suede safety trainers. Really good and really comfy from day one.

364986.jpg

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The trick I learned in the army to break in proper working/walking boots, except for the steel toe-capped ones, is to soak them thoroughly.  Get them absolutely drenched inside and out, stick on two pairs of socks then wear the boots around tightly laced up for at least a few hours until they're substantially dry, retighten the laces if they start to loosen.  Depending on the boots, it can take a whole working day for them to dry out enough.  I know some people who swore by sitting in a warm bath with the boots on for an hour or so then doing their day job untl the boots dried.  Change socks a couple of times during the day though to give a good start to the custom-fit process.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The trick I learned in the army to break in proper working/walking boots, except for the steel toe-capped ones, is to soak them thoroughly.  Get them absolutely drenched inside and out, stick on two pairs of socks then wear the boots around tightly laced up for at least a few hours until they're substantially dry, retighten the laces if they start to loosen.  Depending on the boots, it can take a whole working day for them to dry out enough.  I know some people who swore by sitting in a warm bath with the boots on for an hour or so then doing their day job untl the boots dried.  Change socks a couple of times during the day though to give a good start to the custom-fit process.

In one of Spike Milligan's war books, he's suffering with a new pair of boots and a veteran advised him to "urinate (not the word he used) in yer boots, lad. That'll sort 'em". Your method sounds less fragrant.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In one of Spike Milligan's war books, he's suffering with a new pair of boots and a veteran advised him to "urinate (not the word he used) in yer boots, lad. That'll sort 'em". Your method sounds less fragrant.

Much like the tweed making process, urine helps with the softening process for leather.  I think I'd rather stick with soaking them in water...

A properly broken in pair of boots that are then conditioned with a leather conditioner can be ready for some very long walks in a very short period of time.  Just don't expect a good shine on them if you condition them.

Much like the tweed making process, urine helps with the softening process for leather.  I think I'd rather stick with soaking them in water...

A properly broken in pair of boots that are then conditioned with a leather conditioner can be ready for some very long walks in a very short period of time.  Just don't expect a good shine on them if you condition them.

I thought the army liked shiny boots?

In Halifax, early woolworkers used to take buckets of urine to work, to wash and soften the wool for processing.

It is also used in the production of felt.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought the army liked shiny boots?

I had 6 pairs:

- Best boots that looked so shiny you could shave in them.  I had a young lad in tears once because he stood on them one day on parade by taking the wrong step.  He had a very full weekend getting them back to full shiny state

- Barracks working boots.  Very good shine but not so fragile you couldn't work in them.

- 2 pairs of exercise boots.  Both matt black due to heavy conditioning and because, regardless of what brain-dead drill monkeys think, shiny boots are baaaad, mkay, when you're trying to be camouflaged.  You need two pairs for exercise as there's not much better than changing into a bone dry pair after getting a pair soaked during a cold winter exercise.

- 1 pair of desert boots.  US Marine issue ones.  I traded a British Army chemical warfare suit* for a brand new pair.  They were substantially better than the dross British desert wellies of the time.

- 1 pair of ammo boots.  They were the dress boots when I first joined but they were replaced by the standard Boots Combat High very soon afterwards.

* The British ones are charcoal filter and OK to wear in very hot places compared to the early 90s US issue rubber ones.  Really... rubber suits in 40 degree celcius heats.  Silly people

I had 6 pairs:

- Best boots that looked so shiny you could shave in them.  I had a young lad in tears once because he stood on them one day on parade by taking the wrong step.  He had a very full weekend getting them back to full shiny state

- Barracks working boots.  Very good shine but not so fragile you couldn't work in them.

- 2 pairs of exercise boots.  Both matt black due to heavy conditioning and because, regardless of what brain-dead drill monkeys think, shiny boots are baaaad, mkay, when you're trying to be camouflaged.  You need two pairs for exercise as there's not much better than changing into a bone dry pair after getting a pair soaked during a cold winter exercise.

- 1 pair of desert boots.  US Marine issue ones.  I traded a British Army chemical warfare suit* for a brand new pair.  They were substantially better than the dross British desert wellies of the time.

- 1 pair of ammo boots.  They were the dress boots when I first joined but they were replaced by the standard Boots Combat High very soon afterwards.

* The British ones are charcoal filter and OK to wear in very hot places compared to the early 90s US issue rubber ones.  Really... rubber suits in 40 degree celcius heats.  Silly people

Thank you, Imelda Marcos. ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you, Imelda Marcos. ;)

I wasn't as bad as some!  Some ultra-keen squaddies I knew could probably have opened their own surplus kit stores with their "essential spares".

I wasn't as bad as some!  Some ultra-keen squaddies I knew could probably have opened their own surplus kit stores with their "essential spares".

Well you certainly see a lot of kit listed on eBay.